Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shopping cart wheels/carts

I'm getting ready to make a pipe roller (weld positioner) to do some pipe.
I'm going to use a motor from a bbq pit, and think I can rheostat that down
to make it work.

I have access to shopping cart wheels all the time, and figure I'll get some
and make an alignment jig, and really make my cover 7018 figure 8 to make it
look nice. Kinda fudgin' for a 6g certified weldor, but what the heck?
This is for sale. And this is going to be less than the 4" in 6g anyway,
and I'm not that fast a mover to run a 6g half pipe pass around a short
length of 2" pipe.

What kind of things do you use shopping cart wheels for? I mean, what WOULD
you use them for, if it wasn't illegal to take them? And does that apply to
those that have been hit by a '88 Caddy, and are all twisted up?

I did take one of the nice metal baskets and use it for a dirt sifter for
the garden. The fold up feature works great, too, for dumping the rocks.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
... What kind of things do you use shopping cart wheels for? Steve

Nothing.

I need wider wheels for things that roll on dirt outdoors, and
stronger casters for indoor machinery. I use replacement lawnmower
wheels outside and well-used painters' staging casters under the
welders.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rob rob is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

I've got the bottom half of a shopping trolley that I grabbed from landfill
in the early eighties. I use it for pushing heavy stuff around on it used to
park a 6cyl engine on for a few years. Surprisingly tough.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 May 2012 14:39:00 -0700
"Steve B" wrote:

I'm getting ready to make a pipe roller (weld positioner) to do some pipe.
I'm going to use a motor from a bbq pit, and think I can rheostat that down
to make it work.

snip

My Dad made me/us (me the weldor) a roller device using two wheels of
some sort of plastic/nylon. It looked good, cradled the work pieces
nice and turned smooth just futzing around testing it (rotation by
hand). It was made to cradle maybe 2.5 inch thick walled tube that
needed a bead welded around the circumference. Problem was that by the
time you finished welding all the way around, the metal tube was so hot
that the wheels had melted. Snort! seemed obvious after the first go
and the wheels where a bit mushy

Another problem with this design is that weld splatter has a way of
attaching itself to the wheels and/or the material in the area of the
wheel. Some points to ponder in your design...

The best ones we made/used were from old roller-bearings. Just the
bearing itself, nothing else. Even those would get so hot that the
grease would leak out. But that was easy enough to remedy with a few
squirts of oil now and then. Splatter didn't stick to them so bad either.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 May 2012 15:15:34 -0400
Leon Fisk wrote:

snip Bah!
The best ones we made/used were from old roller-bearings. Just the

This should have said *ball-bearings*, duh! had the right picture in my
mind...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Used them on my roller tool box. Works better than wheels it came with.

These are the threaded ones.

charl