Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Patenting alternatives...

You might want to look into a provisional patent application. I
believe it can serve as a time-stamped public disclosure, but it also
allows you to still submit a real application within a year. If you
think you might want to sell to investors within a year, it still
allows them to file the patent. You could probably write and file it
yourself.

I have requested an application for a provisional utility patent. This
allows one a year to use the "patent pending" phrase, and get the patent
fully filled out. It costs $250, or for me, $125, because I am a sole
entity. Meaning small fry.

The people were very friendly in the help office. They were former
examiners who went over the apps and decided who got it and who didn't.
When I explained what I was up to, he told me I should have no problems, and
that because I was disabled, and this was a device that was going to be used
for the disabled, exceeded EPA expectations, and was occupationally safe,
that I could expect special help from the staff not given a normal human.

Sometimes being abnormal helps. But do look into the provisional patent.

Steve