Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New Lightweight Exoskeleton Suit being developed

Came across this the other day and thought it looked pretty cool. Can
think of a lot of uses and it actually looks affordable.

"A lightweight exoskeleton will allow the elderly to move around more
easily. New Scientist heads to a Japanese laboratory to try it on for
size."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...g-a-cinch.html

There are some videos around for it too. Check youtube. Maybe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2pBLQLHj0

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
Came across this the other day and thought it looked pretty cool. Can
think of a lot of uses and it actually looks affordable.

"A lightweight exoskeleton will allow the elderly to move around more
easily. New Scientist heads to a Japanese laboratory to try it on for
size."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...g-a-cinch.html

There are some videos around for it too. Check youtube. Maybe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2pBLQLHj0

--

Pretty cool, but the reporter needed help to lift 40 kg?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk writes:

"A lightweight exoskeleton will allow the elderly to move around more
easily. New Scientist heads to a Japanese laboratory to try it on for
size."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...g-a-cinch.html

There are some videos around for it too. Check youtube. Maybe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2pBLQLHj0

I prefer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqzHdKqZAmo
--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:52:39 -0400
"ATP" wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
Came across this the other day and thought it looked pretty cool. Can
think of a lot of uses and it actually looks affordable.

"A lightweight exoskeleton will allow the elderly to move around more
easily. New Scientist heads to a Japanese laboratory to try it on for
size."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...g-a-cinch.html

snip
Pretty cool, but the reporter needed help to lift 40 kg?

I noticed that too, but they are aiming the product at people with
physical aliments (shrug). Still can remember unloading ~30 tons of
fertilizer in 80lb bags many years ago. I could show off back then
carrying three bags at a time, once at least

The article got me searching on PAM's though (pneumatic artificial
muscle). This place in London has them for sale, along with some info
on use and design:

http://www.shadowrobot.com/airmuscles/overview.shtml

They don't/won't publish longevity though. I could see where these
(PAM's) could have uses in other products too. I know Tom G. and Lloyd
S. both make/use stuff that needs some sort of pulling power...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKibb...ificial_muscle

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Interesting research and engineering, Leon. As I was reading I was relating
the pneumatic assist effect to a cuff-type wrist-wrap blood pressure meter
that uses a tiny pump to inflate a bladder in the wrist cuff.

These cuff-type BP meters are a bit larger than a Dick Tracy wrist radio,
but the pressure from the little pump applies considerable pressure in the
cuff.. and from just a couple of AAA batteries which last for many tests.

FWIW, larger bladders are used by fire/rescue teams for lifting heavy
objects and/or vehicles.

--
WB

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
Came across this the other day and thought it looked pretty cool. Can
think of a lot of uses and it actually looks affordable.

"A lightweight exoskeleton will allow the elderly to move around more
easily. New Scientist heads to a Japanese laboratory to try it on for
size."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...g-a-cinch.html

There are some videos around for it too. Check youtube. Maybe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2pBLQLHj0

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 16:52:45 -0400
"Wild_Bill" wrote:

Interesting research and engineering, Leon. As I was reading I was relating
the pneumatic assist effect to a cuff-type wrist-wrap blood pressure meter
that uses a tiny pump to inflate a bladder in the wrist cuff.

These cuff-type BP meters are a bit larger than a Dick Tracy wrist radio,
but the pressure from the little pump applies considerable pressure in the
cuff.. and from just a couple of AAA batteries which last for many tests.

FWIW, larger bladders are used by fire/rescue teams for lifting heavy
objects and/or vehicles.

I knew of the bladders, big trucks use a type of bladder too for lift
axles and sometimes for the spring/suspension. I hadn't ever seen
something though that could pull quite like this.

I was curious if you could buy the PAM's (just a regular joe) and that
led me to this document, which is actually a slide show presentation:

http://www.me.gatech.edu/biorobo/icr...ka_niiyama.pdf

They are rolling their own version to get custom specifications. On
page four they have a parts list consisting of clamps, nylon
sleeve, stop plug, rubber tube, and supply plug.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" wrote:

[...]

From the Narioka info:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIq3M06Rsvc
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgo7RZZqrXM

--
You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.'
-- Charles A. Budreau
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Co-incidence, but the front page of the local paper this morning......

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2012/04/30/19697486.html

Doesn't look as "smooth" as the OP video, but then he's just starting,
and has zero use of his legs, sooooooo......maybe some day!?!?

Brian Lawson.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"Wild_Bill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 11:43:09 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

big snip
From the Narioka info:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIq3M06Rsvc
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgo7RZZqrXM

Thanks for those links Larry. I have a slow internet connection so I
only go after videos that maybe worth viewing and can find a way to
download. Those are pretty good. The crawling "Pneuborn" in the first
video is somewhat creepy. Especially once you see how big it really is
(baby child size). It doesn't help any that I'm currently reading (about
2/3rds through) "Robopocalypse" by Daniel H. Wilson either. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robopocalypse

Written a bit oddly, a bunch of snippets strung together as chapters,
but pretty compelling nonetheless. Really thought provoking when you
realize just how many of the compromised hardware/computers in it are
already in place today...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Fittings wouldn't be difficult to fabricate/machine, and the woven sheath is
readily available as "snakeskin" cable cover/sheath (used on commercial,
military and aviation wire harnesses).

I think, to attain pulling power the woven sheath is pulled to its
extended/stretched length, then when the rubber tube expands, the sheath
shortens.. I've got some snakeskin, Ill have to try it to find out.

The earlier example of the cuff-type blood pressure meter applying pressure
to a wrist, well.. that much pressure applied to thumb and fingers could
significantly improve a person's weak or damaged hand grip.

--
WB

http://www.me.gatech.edu/biorobo/icr...hi%20Narioka%2...

They are rolling their own version to get custom specifications. On
page four they have a parts list consisting of clamps, nylon
sleeve, stop plug, rubber tube, and supply plug.

--
Leon Fisk

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 02 May 2012 13:25:05 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
I didn't think Pneuborn was very lifelike at all, especially without a
skin: too jerky, too precise. The frog was outstanding, OTOH. YMMV.

I guess that is what I found creepy about it. Size is about right,
motions are similar but not right yet. Very alien looking, yet so
familiar...

Did you ever track down/read "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Crash

I think you would like it

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
I didn't think Pneuborn was very lifelike at all, especially without a
skin: too jerky, too precise. The frog was outstanding, OTOH. YMMV.

I guess that is what I found creepy about it. Size is about right,
motions are similar but not right yet. Very alien looking, yet so
familiar...

Did you ever track down/read "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Crash

I think you would like it

Too close to non-fiction for my tastes, I think. =:-0

From Amazon's description: The story begins and ends in Los Angeles,
which is no longer part of what is left of the United States, during
the early 21st century. In this hypothetical future reality, the
federal government of the United States has ceded most of its power to
private organizations and entrepreneurs.[3] Franchising, individual
sovereignty and private vehicles reign (along with drug trafficking,
violent crime, and traffic congestion). Mercenary armies compete for
national defense contracts while private security guards preserve the
peace in gated, sovereign housing developments. Highway companies
compete to attract drivers to their roads rather than the
competitors', and all mail delivery is by hired courier. The remnants
of government maintain authority only in isolated compounds where they
transact tedious make-work that is, by and large, irrelevant to the
dynamic society around them.

Much of the territory ceded by the government has been carved up into
sovereign enclaves, each run by its own big business franchise (such
as "Mr. Lee's Greater Hong Kong") or the various residential
burbclaves (suburban enclaves). This arrangement resembles
anarcho-capitalism, a theme Stephenson carries over to his next novel
The Diamond Age. Hyperinflation has devalued the dollar to the extent
that trillion dollar bills — Ed Meeses — are nearly disregarded and
the quadrillion dollar note — the Gipper — is the standard 'small'
bill. For physical transactions people resort to alternative,
non-hyperinflated currencies such as yen or "Kongbucks" (the official
currency of Mr. Lee's Greater Hong Kong).

--
Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right
to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 May 2012 13:05:49 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 3 May 2012 13:48:10 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

snip
Did you ever track down/read "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Crash

I think you would like it

Too close to non-fiction for my tastes, I think. =:-0

From Amazon's description: The story begins and ends in Los Angeles,
which is no longer part of what is left of the United States, during
the early 21st century. In this hypothetical future reality, ...

snip

Oh! that makes it sound pretty dull, bureaucratic... Trust me, give it
a go. At least give the first two chapters a read and see if you aren't
hooked ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-03, Leon Fisk wrote:

[ ... ]

Did you ever track down/read "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Crash

I think you would like it

I know that I certainly liked it. And -- you can get it in
eBook format, which is quite appropriate for that book. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 3 May 2012 13:48:10 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

snip
Did you ever track down/read "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Crash

I think you would like it

Too close to non-fiction for my tastes, I think. =:-0

From Amazon's description: The story begins and ends in Los Angeles,
which is no longer part of what is left of the United States, during
the early 21st century. In this hypothetical future reality, ...

snip

Oh! that makes it sound pretty dull, bureaucratic... Trust me, give it
a go. At least give the first two chapters a read and see if you aren't
hooked ;-)

OK, maybe. Filed for future reference.

I just brought home two John Ringo books (_Road to Damascus_ and
_Against the Tide_), Robopocalypse, and Food, Inc. today. And I'm not
done with _Quiet_ yet, so I'm full up for now. I suck down Ringo and
Marcinko books very fast, so at least two of those will be history
next week.

Not to mention that I need to come up to speed on Mach3, BobCAD, and
BobART Pro post haste...

--
Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right
to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to
learn new things and move forward with your life.
-- Dr. David M. Burns

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 3 May 2012 13:48:10 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

snip
Did you ever track down/read "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Crash

I think you would like it

Too close to non-fiction for my tastes, I think. =:-0

From Amazon's description: The story begins and ends in Los Angeles,
which is no longer part of what is left of the United States, during
the early 21st century. In this hypothetical future reality, ...

snip

Oh! that makes it sound pretty dull, bureaucratic... Trust me, give it
a go. At least give the first two chapters a read and see if you aren't
hooked ;-)

I took you up on the suggestion of _Robopocalypse_ and was glad.
Pretty good. OK, on to _Snow Crash_. My library has a copy.

--
Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because
we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 May 2012 04:44:54 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
I took you up on the suggestion of _Robopocalypse_ and was glad.

Yes, that one was pretty good. I can hardly wait for the "smart cars"
to get on the road. Not so much a worry like in the story, but just the
whole can-of-worms it will open up. You know darn well people will be
busting butt to hack into the systems for numerous reasons...

Pretty good. OK, on to _Snow Crash_. My library has a copy.

Tit for tat...

I have two chapters to go in "The Road to Damascus". _Long_ but GOOD
book. I was having doubts in the early chapters with all the "POPPA"
politics and propaganda... but it is really rolling now I'll be a
bit bummed though if several main characters don't make it. I've become
rather attached to them. Thanks for tweaking my interest ;-)

Do you have an eReader yet? A lot of Ringo's titles are available for
free from links on this Wiki page (seems legit too):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ringo

I'll probably try reading a few more of his eventually...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-23, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 23 May 2012 04:44:54 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
I took you up on the suggestion of _Robopocalypse_ and was glad.

O.K. That one I have not yet read. I've been reading his
"Boroque cycle" books recently, and currently am on _Anathem_. My first
book by him was _Cryptonomicon_, which I particularly liked.

Yes, that one was pretty good. I can hardly wait for the "smart cars"
to get on the road. Not so much a worry like in the story, but just the
whole can-of-worms it will open up. You know darn well people will be
busting butt to hack into the systems for numerous reasons...

Pretty good. OK, on to _Snow Crash_. My library has a copy.

That one I have read, and I think that you will like it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-23, Leon wrote:
On Wed, 23 May 2012 04:44:54 -0700
Larry wrote:

snip
I took you up on the suggestion of _Robopocalypse_ and was glad.

O.K. That one I have not yet read. I've been reading his
"Boroque cycle" books recently, and currently am on _Anathem_. My first
book by him was _Cryptonomicon_, which I particularly liked.

Yes, that one was pretty good. I can hardly wait for the "smart cars"
to get on the road. Not so much a worry like in the story, but just the
whole can-of-worms it will open up. You know darn well people will be
busting butt to hack into the systems for numerous reasons...

Pretty good. OK, on to _Snow Crash_. My library has a copy.

That one I have read, and I think that you will like it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Also check out "The Diamond Age", which is the first of his I read. I
just finished "Reamde" which was OK, but not as good as "Cryptonomicon"
or the Baroque Cycle.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 May 2012 13:43:13 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Wed, 23 May 2012 04:44:54 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

snip
I took you up on the suggestion of _Robopocalypse_ and was glad.

Yes, that one was pretty good. I can hardly wait for the "smart cars"
to get on the road. Not so much a worry like in the story, but just the
whole can-of-worms it will open up. You know darn well people will be
busting butt to hack into the systems for numerous reasons...

Pretty good. OK, on to _Snow Crash_. My library has a copy.

Tit for tat...

I have two chapters to go in "The Road to Damascus". _Long_ but GOOD
book. I was having doubts in the early chapters with all the "POPPA"
politics and propaganda... but it is really rolling now I'll be a
bit bummed though if several main characters don't make it. I've become
rather attached to them. Thanks for tweaking my interest ;-)

I finally cracked it last night and will read it over the weekend.
Yeah, about the second chapter, I was wondering if I was going to
finish it, but now that I'm at the tenth, I'm glad I did. Sonny is one
helluva machine.

Do you have an eReader yet? A lot of Ringo's titles are available for
free from links on this Wiki page (seems legit too):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ringo

I'll probably try reading a few more of his eventually...

Start with _Ghost_ (Paladin of Shadows series), then continue with
Kildar. g His Looking Glass series is physics gone crazy. I think
Terry Pratchett should have used his style. (I might have been able to
-read- him, then.)

If you like military sci-fi, his Posleen War series is absolutely
stunning. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/john-ringo/
David Drake is another top-drawer MilSciFi king, as is David Weber.
I didn't even know I like it until I read a book by each of these
three. They're like potato chips: you can't put 'em down.

My buddy in D.C. turned me on to W.E.B. Griffin, whose Corps and
Presidential Agent series books are absolutely wonderful, and Stephen
Hunter, whose 2 Swagger series are outrageously good.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/w-e-b-griffin/
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/stephen-hunter/

--
When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake.
-- Stephanie Barron

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 05:49:17 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

First, thanks to everyone, Don, David and Larry for your suggestions on
where to go/start next. I'm in no way lacking for books to read, but
I'll be adding more of your Ringo suggestions to my reading as time
permits.

snip
I finally cracked it last night and will read it over the weekend.
Yeah, about the second chapter, I was wondering if I was going to
finish it, but now that I'm at the tenth, I'm glad I did. Sonny is one
helluva machine.

Yup, I feel the same way. You'll have to bust some butt though, that
tome is about three times longer than most books. I convert them to
audio/mp3 files and listen to them while out walking or getting in my
exercise. I can read just fine but that is when I have the most time
available for perusing fiction. Seeing that my audio conversion sets a
pretty steady pace it really gives good insight into how long any text
is.

snip
My buddy in D.C. turned me on to W.E.B. Griffin, whose Corps and
Presidential Agent series books are absolutely wonderful, and Stephen
Hunter, whose 2 Swagger series are outrageously good.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/w-e-b-griffin/
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/stephen-hunter/

I've frequented used book sales for ~20 years. Used to pick up W.E.B.
Griffin stuff for my old boss. I knew it was pretty popular because it
turns up a lot at the sales. Haven't tried any myself yet. My tastes are
all over the place (Western, SciFi, Classic, Mystery...) except I
don't go for biographies.

Have you read any of the "Hunger Games" series by Suzanne Collins
yet? Supposedly written for young adults... but hey, I liked Harry
Potter too. They really smoke along and you will very likely have a
hard time putting one down. The whole series (3 books) is about equal
in length to "The Road to Damascus".

Another old timer that is somewhat prophetical is "Brave New World" by
Aldous Huxley. It isn't very long, but considering it was written in
1931, he had some insight into where we (civilization) was headed
years ago... See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_new_world

You might find it a bit tedious, but I know I am glad I took the time
to read (or rather listen) to it.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Interesting. I suppose I should be walking on my days off, too, to
help with the high BP. I just don't like sitting doing nothing but
listening to audio, so walking just might make it palateable.
I'll try it with an old Walkman I have and a cassette from the
library.

snip
My buddy in D.C. turned me on to W.E.B. Griffin, whose Corps and
Presidential Agent series books are absolutely wonderful, and Stephen
Hunter, whose 2 Swagger series are outrageously good.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/w-e-b-griffin/
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/stephen-hunter/

I've frequented used book sales for ~20 years. Used to pick up W.E.B.
Griffin stuff for my old boss. I knew it was pretty popular because it
turns up a lot at the sales. Haven't tried any myself yet. My tastes are
all over the place (Western, SciFi, Classic, Mystery...) except I
don't go for biographies.

Ditto, except the mysteries. I read and watched so many in my yout
that I am still totally burned out on them. Brit mysteries are quite
a bit better, less than ENTIRELY PREDICTABLE. sigh

Have you read any of the "Hunger Games" series by Suzanne Collins
yet? Supposedly written for young adults... but hey, I liked Harry
Potter too. They really smoke along and you will very likely have a
hard time putting one down. The whole series (3 books) is about equal
in length to "The Road to Damascus".

No, I haven't, but my sister may give it to me in a couple months. She
buys lots of new books and then recycles them through me when I'm
game. I'm a Potter movie fan, too, but haven't read any of the books.
And if any of the bloody Muggles don't like this thread, they can
darned well hit the "I" key to ignore it.

Another old timer that is somewhat prophetical is "Brave New World" by
Aldous Huxley. It isn't very long, but considering it was written in
1931, he had some insight into where we (civilization) was headed
years ago... See:

That he did! I saw the movie eons ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_new_world

You might find it a bit tedious, but I know I am glad I took the time
to read (or rather listen) to it.

Why do you feel that, Leon?

My sister gave me the Harry Dresden novels. I was reluctant to read
them at first because the TV series was so absolutely dreadful. The
books were a full 180 degrees from that. Very good. Give them a try.

Another series my sister pointed out to me was Gena Showalter's Alien
Huntress series. Aliens and vampires, but done for a thinking
audience. Sultry spy/action mysteries, if you will. Start with her
first one, _Awaken Me Darkly_.

--
When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake.
-- Stephanie Barron
(Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 17:37:45 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 24 May 2012 14:49:10 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

snip
Yup, I feel the same way. You'll have to bust some butt though, that
tome is about three times longer than most books. I convert them to
audio/mp3 files and listen to them while out walking or getting in my
exercise. I can read just fine but that is when I have the most time
available for perusing fiction. Seeing that my audio conversion sets a
pretty steady pace it really gives good insight into how long any text
is.

Interesting. I suppose I should be walking on my days off, too, to
help with the high BP. I just don't like sitting doing nothing but
listening to audio, so walking just might make it palateable.
I'll try it with an old Walkman I have and a cassette from the
library.

I use an old iRiver iFP-800 mp3 player. Being able to pause and back-up
20 sec with a simple flip of a switch is priceless. Noisy truck goes
by, somebody stops to chat, mind/attention drifts off... flip of the
switch and you go back 20 sec and listen to that part again. It also
remembers the spot you were at when turned off. Really important
features if you try to buy something for listening to books. A lot of
libraries have books available on CD now. You could rip them to mp3,
reducing the quality down to 32kb and 16khz. You really don't need CD
quality for just voice. This is the LAME command line I use for the
final wave to mp3 conversion:

lame --noreplaygain -mm -q7 -b32 --resample 16.000 trtd-01.wav trtd-01.mp3

You get some funny noises with the quality (-q7) set that low but it
doesn't bother me while out walking and converts to mp3 really fast. I
just delete the mp3 files when I'm done so it really doesn't matter.

snip
Ditto, except the mysteries. I read and watched so many in my yout
that I am still totally burned out on them. Brit mysteries are quite
a bit better, less than ENTIRELY PREDICTABLE. sigh

I'm a glutton, still read mysteries but I know what you mean. And I
agree, the British authors are usually better.

Have you read any of the "Hunger Games" series by Suzanne Collins

snip
No, I haven't, but my sister may give it to me in a couple months.

Oh! after reading this bit of insight into your tastes I think you'll
like them now for sure. Don't let your sister forget! And make sure you
have some time available before diving in. They are really hard to put
down...

snip
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_new_world

You might find it a bit tedious, but I know I am glad I took the time
to read (or rather listen) to it.

Why do you feel that, Leon?

The language is a bit dated now, "...Oh, she's a splendid girl.
Wonderfully pneumatic. I'm surprised you haven't had her..." and some
people get turned off with such. And it kinda plods along at times
(shrug).

My sister gave me the Harry Dresden novels...

snip
Another series my sister pointed out to me was Gena Showalter's Alien
Huntress series.

snip

I'll keep these in mind, add to my list. Thanks

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-05-25, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 24 May 2012 17:37:45 -0700
Larry Jaques wrote:

[ ... ]

Ditto, except the mysteries. I read and watched so many in my yout
that I am still totally burned out on them. Brit mysteries are quite
a bit better, less than ENTIRELY PREDICTABLE. sigh

I'm a glutton, still read mysteries but I know what you mean. And I
agree, the British authors are usually better.

Some mysteries are fun, and not that predictable. One series
which I enjoy is the one which starts with _Murder with Peacocks_ by
Donna Andrews. The heroine, Meg Lanslow, is a blacksmith artist, which
gets some of the stories into our metalworking field. :-) The whole
family is strange, which is what makes it so much fun. Probably the one
which did the least for me was _Murder with Puffins_, but the rest are
loads of fun, in various environments. For example _We'll Always Have
Parrots_ takes pace at sort of a science fiction convention -- except
that it is dedicated to a particular TV series -- and her (then to be)
husband is an actor and a literature professor. Every title has some
kind of bird in it -- even if not feathered, such as _Revenge of the
Wrought Iron Flamingos_.

I mostly read science fiction and fantasy, but this series is
one (of several) which both my wife and I enjoy.

BTW Headed to a SF con this weekend -- probably pick up a few more
books. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 24 May 2012 14:49:10 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

snip
[...]

I love the babe in the movie. I need to go see that, or rent it. Then
I'll get the book and see just how much of the good stuff they left
out.

snip
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_new_world

You might find it a bit tedious, but I know I am glad I took the time
to read (or rather listen) to it.

Why do you feel that, Leon?

The language is a bit dated now, "...Oh, she's a splendid girl.
Wonderfully pneumatic. I'm surprised you haven't had her..." and some
people get turned off with such. And it kinda plods along at times
(shrug).

I like it! "Pneumatic" Bouncy babe!

My sister gave me the Harry Dresden novels...

snip
Another series my sister pointed out to me was Gena Showalter's Alien
Huntress series.

snip

I'll keep these in mind, add to my list. Thanks

My inbox is a 3' wide, 7' tall 6-tier bookshelf which is full at the
moment. Plus, I have numerous lists.

--
When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake.
-- Stephanie Barron
(Something for the Powers That Be to remember, eh?)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 May 2012 10:45:28 -0700
Gunner Asch wrote:

huge snip
Which ebook format do you like? mobi or epub..and do you have an email
addy that will take a 5mg download?

I may..have something or another kicking around..to read. Shrug

Thanks for the offer Gunner. I'm on dial-up yet so big emails are
painful to say the least...

Finding material to massage/convert into something worth feeding my
mp3 conversion process isn't hard. I'm pretty good at rattling the
bushes, snooping around and I already have a considerable backlog I'm
working on. This thread just piled on a whole bunch more of good
sounding (vetted) material, which I already have a bit of

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sun, 27 May 2012 16:25:46 -0700

Finding material to massage/convert into something worth feeding my
mp3 conversion process isn't hard. I'm pretty good at rattling the
bushes, snooping around and I already have a considerable backlog I'm
working on. This thread just piled on a whole bunch more of good
sounding (vetted) material, which I already have a bit of

I know of a computer that has some 50 gigs of reading material on one of
its drives. Best as can be figured..some 11,000 plus books. The owner
still hasnt gotten round to getting it all organized. Shrug

80 gigs, 10,000 titles. mostly organized - bibliophiles get that
way.

When I win the lottery, I'm getting a heavy duty printer, and
printing some of those out.

Here on Usenet..there are a number of newsgroups where books are readily
available as downloads..and the good people do requests as well.

Open your newsreader and have it search for alt.binaries.ebook,
alt.binaries.e-book, etc etc and subscribe to them. Lag time on my IP
(giganews) is about 3 weeks. So they are availeable for quite a while.
IRC has a number of people who will post various titles on request as
well.

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the