Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default smooth out calk

My project for the last week has been rebuilding an old fertilizer
spreader. Its my better half's turn. All the little cracks need to be
filled with calk and then smoothed out. No lumps no bumps.

Is there a solvent that will aid running a finger along each joint?
other ideas?

Next step would be a new paint job.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
My project for the last week has been rebuilding an old fertilizer
spreader. Its my better half's turn. All the little cracks need to be
filled with calk and then smoothed out. No lumps no bumps.

Is there a solvent that will aid running a finger along each joint?
other ideas?

Next step would be a new paint job.

Karl

As I understand it, use denatured alcohol for silicone caulk or water for
latex based caulk.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dennis" wrote in message

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
My project for the last week has been rebuilding an old fertilizer
spreader. Its my better half's turn. All the little cracks need to be
filled with calk and then smoothed out. No lumps no bumps.

Is there a solvent that will aid running a finger along each joint?
other ideas?

Next step would be a new paint job.

Karl

As I understand it, use denatured alcohol for silicone caulk or water for
latex based caulk.

Maybe via a spray bottle if for large areas.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 20, 9:27*am, tnik wrote:
Water works just fine for this. Dip your finger in water, run it down
the joint. Dip as needed.

Concur. Spit works well if it is a small job.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
My project for the last week has been rebuilding an old fertilizer
spreader. Its my better half's turn. All the little cracks need to be
filled with calk and then smoothed out. No lumps no bumps.

Is there a solvent that will aid running a finger along each joint?
other ideas?

Next step would be a new paint job.

Karl

With caulk, less is more. Cut the smallest amount off the tip of the
caulk tube that you can, if the "poker" rod on the caulk gun goes in easily
the hole is probably too big.
Then lay down a small even bead, keep the tip moving... you can always
With a nice small (1/8" or less) bead, you won't get globs of caulk
building up on your finger, spreading out on either side, and slopping
everything up while you're trying to smooth it out. Keep a rag or some
paper towels handy to wipe caulk off your finger before you re-wet it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 08:17:05 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

My project for the last week has been rebuilding an old fertilizer
spreader. Its my better half's turn. All the little cracks need to be
filled with calk and then smoothed out. No lumps no bumps.

Is there a solvent that will aid running a finger along each joint?
other ideas?

Is this regular old (water-soluble latex) painter's caulk? If so,
spritz it with finely misted water and use a caulk tool. I prefer the
type with the flexible rubber tip, a Homax. http://tinyurl.com/csxr3g4

Next step would be a new paint job.

I had used a brush for alkyd machine paint in the past, but my buddy
and I are going to spray the new CNC router table with Dark Green
Rustoleum Hammered. The shade is very like Griz Green.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Apr 20, 9:27 am, tnik wrote:
Water works just fine for this. Dip your finger in water, run it down
the joint. Dip as needed.

Concur. Spit works well if it is a small job.

Dan

Just got an amusing mental image of Karl's wife trying to hack up enough
spit for the fertilizer spreader.

Smooth concrete Will[_8_] UK diy 14 October 13th 10 02:02 PM
OT - Silicone calk Tim[_20_] Metalworking 12 June 3rd 09 04:08 PM
How smooth is smooth enough? Amateur Q. m. scott veach Woodworking 15 January 14th 08 02:32 AM
How to smooth a rough glass edges into a sparkling smooth surface. Sam Nickaby Home Repair 21 July 24th 06 05:54 PM
Plastic Laminate Backsplash Meets Ceramic Tile Wall with Calk Nehmo Sergheyev Home Repair 3 February 22nd 05 03:54 PM