Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Silicone calk

Kind of off topic, but we all often use it.

Everyone knows how to smooth a bead of latex calk with a wet finger, but
what can you wet your finger with if you are smoothing silicone?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim" wrote in message
m...
Kind of off topic, but we all often use it.

Everyone knows how to smooth a bead of latex calk with a wet finger, but
what can you wet your finger with if you are smoothing silicone?

Tim,
I don't wet my finger. Just recently learned to use silicone. Made the
mistake of trying to wash my hands with soap and water. Spent 45 minutes
with a scrub brush. Miserable stuff. Don't let it get near water.
I just use a dry finger and keep plenty of paper towels around. Wipes off
hands readily if you don't use water.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 May 2009 13:53:01 -0500, "Tim" wrote:

Kind of off topic, but we all often use it.

Everyone knows how to smooth a bead of latex calk with a wet finger, but
what can you wet your finger with if you are smoothing silicone?

Isopropyl alcohol, aka "rubbing" alky.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Liquid dish soap. Place a small portion of favorite dish soap and add 25 to
50% water. Place your finger in the soap and smooth.
Steve

"Tim" wrote in message
m...
Kind of off topic, but we all often use it.

Everyone knows how to smooth a bead of latex calk with a wet finger, but
what can you wet your finger with if you are smoothing silicone?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
m...
Kind of off topic, but we all often use it.

Everyone knows how to smooth a bead of latex calk with a wet finger,
but what can you wet your finger with if you are smoothing silicone?

Tim,
I don't wet my finger. Just recently learned to use silicone. Made the
mistake of trying to wash my hands with soap and water. Spent 45
minutes with a scrub brush. Miserable stuff. Don't let it get near water.
I just use a dry finger and keep plenty of paper towels around. Wipes
off hands readily if you don't use water.

Ivan Vegvary

Contractor's Solvent. Made by De-Solv-It. Gets silicone caulk off your hands in a minute. Lable
warns you against getting the stuff in your lungs, so I replaced the spritzer with a simple squeeze
cap -- I just turn the bottle upside down and squeeze some out onto a paper towel, then use the
towel to clean up whatever needs it.

Tove

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Liquid dish soap. Place a small portion of favorite dish soap and add 25
to 50% water. Place your finger in the soap and smooth.
Steve

When I do that I use nitrile gloves and the soapy water. No mess, just throw
them away.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim" wrote:

Kind of off topic, but we all often use it.

Everyone knows how to smooth a bead of latex calk with a wet finger, but
what can you wet your finger with if you are smoothing silicone?

Vinegar?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 May 2009 13:53:01 -0500, "Tim" wrote:

Kind of off topic, but we all often use it.

Everyone knows how to smooth a bead of latex calk with a wet finger, but
what can you wet your finger with if you are smoothing silicone?

Stoddard solvent - aka varsol
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

what I do is to keep my finger wet and just smooth it over - it doesn't
stick if you lick your finger or dip it in water frequently - I used to use
this technique when making fish tanks

"Tim" wrote in message
m...
Kind of off topic, but we all often use it.

Everyone knows how to smooth a bead of latex calk with a wet finger, but
what can you wet your finger with if you are smoothing silicone?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 May 2009 17:22:25 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

"Tim" wrote:

Kind of off topic, but we all often use it.

Everyone knows how to smooth a bead of latex calk with a wet finger, but
what can you wet your finger with if you are smoothing silicone?

Vinegar?

I'm learning to always use my caulking tool. I love the damned little
thang. Mine's white, but I guess they make colors, too.
https://www.hardwareworld.com/21-Cau...l-pRNHCZX.aspx

Some similar tools:
https://www.hardwareworld.com/Caulk-...l-pTVE2ZX.aspx
http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages..._rite_kit.html

This one looks great.
https://www.buyprocaulk.com/?s_kwcid=TC|6289|caulking%20tool||S||2611749799&gc lid=CMSZ27Xu25oCFRo-awodwQVr3Q

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I rarely ever touch caulking because I've discovered that trimming the tip
on the tube, along with the proper angle between the tube and work, along
with adjusting the delivery rate, will create a perfect fillet that doesn't
require smoothing.

The very tip of the plastic tube will have a radius that can be used to form
a very smooth concave bead that blends into the surface materials, when the
angle and delivery rate are adjusted for the proper fill.

A good habit is to do some practice seams before doing any seams that will
be seen. If the tip has been trimmed too far, cap that tube and trim another
tip more carefully.

For perfect-fitting corners or seams with no gaps, a narrow concave or flat
bead is all that's required.
Vertical beads that are slightly convex aren't too bad, but horizontal beads
that bulge out like quarter-round trim (or worse, like tubing in the seam),
tend to catch water and dirt, looking hideous within a short time.

Looking at how the little rubbery tools remove so much excess caulking, it's
easy to see that if too much wasn't put on, all that excess wouldn't need to
be removed.

For wide gaps (within reason), a medium concave or flat filler bead is
applied to just bridge the gap, then that is left to set up.
Then the tip is trimmed for a wider bead to cover and form a decent fillet.

For wide gaps, redo the work with some skill (caulking isn't a construction
material), or use a trim strip which can be caulked with 2 narrow beads.

Regardless of what the label claims, most caulking materials will shrink.

Always clean the seam area a couple of times to insure good adhesion.
Plastics often have mold release residue, and you can't be sure any material
is clean if you don't clean it yourself.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Tim" wrote in message
m...
Kind of off topic, but we all often use it.

Everyone knows how to smooth a bead of latex calk with a wet finger, but
what can you wet your finger with if you are smoothing silicone?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I want to say that rubbing Alcohol on the finger keeps the latex caulk off it.
Martin

Tim wrote:
Kind of off topic, but we all often use it.

Everyone knows how to smooth a bead of latex calk with a wet finger, but
what can you wet your finger with if you are smoothing silicone?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim" wrote in message
m...
Kind of off topic, but we all often use it.

Everyone knows how to smooth a bead of latex calk with a wet finger, but
what can you wet your finger with if you are smoothing silicone?

Thanks for all the input guys, you have certainly given me some new ideas. I
often find it useful to seal welded sheet structures for dust, and silicone
seems to be the best solution when seal welding is just not practical. I
will give these a try.

Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive? Walter Cohen Home Repair 8 October 31st 07 11:32 AM
Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive? Walter Cohen Home Ownership 8 October 31st 07 11:32 AM
Silicone John Rumm UK diy 9 May 7th 07 08:07 PM
Silicone vs silicone [email protected] UK diy 2 April 30th 06 01:02 PM
Plastic Laminate Backsplash Meets Ceramic Tile Wall with Calk Nehmo Sergheyev Home Repair 3 February 22nd 05 03:54 PM