Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default power distribution box

I guess my 93 F350 has two fuse panels. the manual refers to a power
distribution box in addition to the fuse panel.

OK, where the hell is it? I hooked up my 24,000 lb. trailer and lost
all the rear lights and brake controller

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-16, Karl Townsend wrote:
I guess my 93 F350 has two fuse panels. the manual refers to a power
distribution box in addition to the fuse panel.

OK, where the hell is it? I hooked up my 24,000 lb. trailer and lost
all the rear lights and brake controller

I thought that you are talking about the box in the trailer, am I
missing anything?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Karl Townsend wrote:

I guess my 93 F350 has two fuse panels. the manual refers to a power
distribution box in addition to the fuse panel.

OK, where the hell is it? I hooked up my 24,000 lb. trailer and lost
all the rear lights and brake controller

Karl

Under the hood, in front of the driver, assuming it's similar to a '95
F150, which is not a bad bet. Or RTFM.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I guess my 93 F350 has two fuse panels. the manual refers to a power
distribution box in addition to the fuse panel.

OK, where the hell is it? I hooked up my 24,000 lb. trailer and lost
all the rear lights and brake controller

Karl

I don't know on a '93, but on a '09 there is the underhood fuse box
(BJB) near the brake MC and the junction box (SJB) in the cab in the
passenger side footwell behind a trim panel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
I guess my 93 F350 has two fuse panels. the manual refers to a power
distribution box in addition to the fuse panel.

OK, where the hell is it? I hooked up my 24,000 lb. trailer and lost
all the rear lights and brake controller

Karl

It's a short ways aft of the battery on my 91 Ranger. The computer
power relay is hidden under it.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I guess my 93 F350 has two fuse panels. the manual refers to a power
distribution box in addition to the fuse panel.

OK, where the hell is it? I hooked up my 24,000 lb. trailer and lost
all the rear lights and brake controller

Karl

Look for Fuse D in the underhood box. Plus check the trailer relay
itself, it will also be in that box.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 12:23:26 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I guess my 93 F350 has two fuse panels. the manual refers to a power
distribution box in addition to the fuse panel.

OK, where the hell is it? I hooked up my 24,000 lb. trailer and lost
all the rear lights and brake controller

Karl

Follow up. I can't find anything like this. Got sick of following
wires two different days. Even had my better half look.

Top it off, it fixed itself. I really don't like that, cause it will
just break again. And probably when I have a huge load on the trailer.

OTOH, don't know how to fix something that's not broke.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I guess my 93 F350 has two fuse panels. the manual refers to a power
distribution box in addition to the fuse panel.

OK, where the hell is it? I hooked up my 24,000 lb. trailer and lost
all the rear lights and brake controller

Karl

Follow up. I can't find anything like this. Got sick of following
wires two different days. Even had my better half look.

Karl

http://recommendations.ebay.com/92-9...d=160570686172

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 13:36:50 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I guess my 93 F350 has two fuse panels. the manual refers to a power
distribution box in addition to the fuse panel.

OK, where the hell is it? I hooked up my 24,000 lb. trailer and lost
all the rear lights and brake controller

Karl

Follow up. I can't find anything like this. Got sick of following
wires two different days. Even had my better half look.

Karl

http://recommendations.ebay.com/92-9...d=160570686172

jsw

that's a clue, I'll look AGAIN.

damn manual talks about it at length, but they assume its easy to
find.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

IIRC (got rid of that truck a few years ago) should be in front of the
master cylinder. Probably too dirty to read the text on it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 14:35:20 -0400, Ecnerwal
wrote:

IIRC (got rid of that truck a few years ago) should be in front of the
master cylinder. Probably too dirty to read the text on it.

I found it. Yep right behind the air cleaner box. Don't know how I
owned it 18 years without the need to look for it.

of course, nothing wrong in there. Only thing I can do is get familiar
for the next failure. Can't think of a problem I hate more than an
intermittant electrical failure.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I guess my 93 F350 has two fuse panels. the manual refers to a power
distribution box in addition to the fuse panel.

OK, where the hell is it? I hooked up my 24,000 lb. trailer and lost
all the rear lights and brake controller

Karl

Follow up. I can't find anything like this. Got sick of following
wires two different days. Even had my better half look.

Karl

http://recommendations.ebay.com/92-9...d=160570686172

jsw

that's a clue, I'll look AGAIN.

damn manual talks about it at length, but they assume its easy to
find.

It is, the second time!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In NYS, we have a highway dept that puts a lot of salt on the roads. Safer,
but the cars rot out. Any time something mysterious goes wrong, it's usually
a bad ground.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

Top it off, it fixed itself. I really don't like that, cause it will
just break again. And probably when I have a huge load on the trailer.

OTOH, don't know how to fix something that's not broke.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

Top it off, it fixed itself. I really don't like that, cause it will
just break again. And probably when I have a huge load on the
trailer.

OTOH, don't know how to fix something that's not broke.

Karl

The military's Preventative Maintenance procedures help a lot, as long
as you don't break it while taking it apart. I've cleaned and
Ox-Gard'ed almost every connector and ground on my truck.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 18:42:44 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

[...]

Two cases come to mind:
- '83 "K" car with electric windows and locks. Master control panel on
the driver's door arm rest, wires routed everywhere by a cable across
the floor pan under the insulation mat under the floor mat under the
feet of the driver. Now where do you suppose it would be most likely
to find melted salted snow in a vehicle driven under winter
conditions? All of the branches were tee'd off in this area with
connections made by spot welding, granted, these conections were
protected by being covered with a fold of fabric "friction" insulating
tape. Each fold of tape contained a greenish powdery deposit when
exammined.

- '90 Lumina APV with composite body. things like horns, wipers and
ignition stared to fail after ~10 years. Solution? - lots of copper
braid + ring lugs + sheet metal screws/pop rivets bonding failed items
to battery ground terminal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I quit using Ox Gored, when I had a couple electrical contacts on
refrigerated merchandisers look like they got eaten up. I've switched to
dielectric grease. Advance Auto, in a tube near the glues and Permatex and
RTV. Seems OK, so far.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

The military's Preventative Maintenance procedures
help a lot, as long as you don't break it while taking
it apart. I've cleaned and Ox-Gard'ed almost every
connector and ground on my truck.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I quit using Ox Gored, when I had a couple electrical contacts on
refrigerated merchandisers look like they got eaten up. I've
switched to
dielectric grease. Advance Auto, in a tube near the glues and
Permatex and
RTV. Seems OK, so far.

Christopher A. Young

My only long-term experience with Ox-Gard has been on the TV antenna,
where it keeps the signal strong and aluminum hardware clean for
several years.

Usually I put dielectric grease or LPS-3 on car connectors, but the
Ranger had corrosion I couldn't completely scrub out so I hoped the
zinc particles would break through it. I'm retired and don't have to
drive through salted slush any more.

LPS-3 is about as good as anything else I've tried on battery
terminals.

When I bought the truck Ford sold a special hi-temp grease for disk
brake caliper sliding surfaces. They later discontinued it and
recommended silicone dielectric grease instead.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I quit using Ox Gored, when I had a couple electrical contacts on
refrigerated merchandisers look like they got eaten up. I've switched to
dielectric grease. Advance Auto, in a tube near the glues and Permatex and
RTV. Seems OK, so far.

Ox-guard is supposed to be for aluminum wiring. If used on copper wiring
I could certainly see it having issues.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 18:18:00 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

In NYS, we have a highway dept that puts a lot of salt on the roads. Safer,
but the cars rot out. Any time something mysterious goes wrong, it's usually
a bad ground.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Na, they just put a little on in NY. They really hammer it here in MN.
the truck does have some pretty serious rust issues.

I do need to remove the dump box, sandblast, weld and re-paint. Looks
like new wiring and carry a ground on the list too.

I gues I'm lucky. I own enough equipment that i always have something
to work on.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

In NYS, we have a highway dept that puts a lot of salt on the roads. Safer,
but the cars rot out. Any time something mysterious goes wrong, it's usually
a bad ground.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Na, they just put a little on in NY. They really hammer it here in MN.
the truck does have some pretty serious rust issues.

I do need to remove the dump box, sandblast, weld and re-paint. Looks
like new wiring and carry a ground on the list too.

I gues I'm lucky. I own enough equipment that i always have something
to work on.

karl

Makes life worth living, don't it!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
..
I gues I'm lucky. I own enough equipment that i always have
something
to work on.

karl

You own it, or it owns you???

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I guess my 93 F350 has two fuse panels. the manual refers to a power
distribution box in addition to the fuse panel.

OK, where the hell is it? I hooked up my 24,000 lb. trailer and lost
all the rear lights and brake controller

Karl

Follow up. I can't find anything like this. Got sick of following
wires two different days. Even had my better half look.

Top it off, it fixed itself. I really don't like that, cause it will
just break again. And probably when I have a huge load on the trailer.

OTOH, don't know how to fix something that's not broke.

From lots of experience in this field, Karl, I'd be willing to bet it
was the ground which had been lost, not power. Look for a broken wire
inside the insulation or corroded ground connection.

Some people attempt to use the trailer hitch itself as the ground, and
they're the ones who have intermittent problems. The rest of us have
to troubleshoot their problems when we inherit the equipment. g

--
You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others,
or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are.

Western Power Distribution, interruption of supply. bluebell UK diy 95 May 25th 07 07:44 AM
cable selection for power distribution [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 March 11th 07 09:30 PM
cable selection for power distribution [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 11th 07 09:24 PM
T.V. Distribution GymRatZ UK diy 3 October 24th 05 10:40 PM
ChangFa Gen Update, Power Distribution James Lerch Metalworking 6 July 4th 05 05:34 AM