Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hose fab

What would it cost to buy machines to make one's own pressed on crimp fit
hydraulic, and, water hoses. That would be just for the crimper, and I'd
like a hydraulic one. Any brands?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-14, Steve B wrote:
What would it cost to buy machines to make one's own pressed on crimp fit
hydraulic, and, water hoses. That would be just for the crimper, and I'd
like a hydraulic one. Any brands?

Unless you try to look hard for a super bargain, plan on spending
about $1,500 on a used Parker unit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
What would it cost to buy machines to make one's own pressed on crimp fit
hydraulic, and, water hoses. That would be just for the crimper, and I'd
like a hydraulic one. Any brands?

Steve

If it was only for a few and you had a workshop hydraulic press you
could make some dies and use them in it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 14, 12:04*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
What would it cost to buy machines to make one's own pressed on crimp fit
hydraulic, and, water hoses. *That would be just for the crimper, and I'd
like a hydraulic one. *Any brands?

Steve

I have seen manual units using big machine screws to do the crimping,
not sure of the crimp quality. I wouldn't depend on them for like
aircraft stuff or brakes. They are out there and if a guy had some
milling or shaping equipment, wouldn't be too hard to duplicate.
Basically two slabs of steel bolted together and with suitable notches
cut out for the crimp areas. Unless you're going to go into full
production, NAPA or truck and implement supply joints can make them up
cheaper for onesie-twosie stuff. Parker is the big name in hoses,
fitttings and the like, check their website for the real deal.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-17, Stanley Schaefer wrote:
On Apr 14, 12:04*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
What would it cost to buy machines to make one's own pressed on crimp fit
hydraulic, and, water hoses. *That would be just for the crimper, and I'd
like a hydraulic one. *Any brands?

Steve

I have seen manual units using big machine screws to do the crimping,
not sure of the crimp quality. I wouldn't depend on them for like
aircraft stuff or brakes. They are out there and if a guy had some
milling or shaping equipment, wouldn't be too hard to duplicate.
Basically two slabs of steel bolted together and with suitable notches
cut out for the crimp areas. Unless you're going to go into full
production, NAPA or truck and implement supply joints can make them up
cheaper for onesie-twosie stuff. Parker is the big name in hoses,
fitttings and the like, check their website for the real deal.

I used to stumble across hydraulic hose crimpers all the time
when looking for hydraulic electrical crimping heads.

Here is one at least on eBay.

160782987379

But it ain't cheap.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-18, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2012-04-17, Stanley Schaefer wrote:
[...]

We have a Parker store across the rail tracks, they make all that
stuff for us.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-04-18, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2012-04-17, Stanley Schaefer wrote:
[...]

The fittings in onesies or twosies are not cheap either, especially
with shipping. I would find a good hydraulics store nearby and
patronize it, personally.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32264" wrote in
message

The fittings in onesies or twosies are not cheap either, especially
with shipping. I would find a good hydraulics store nearby and
patronize it, personally.

There are reuseable fittings that would let you make hoses long and
shorten them after you have used the home-made machine enough to
establish the right hose routing.
http://www.discounthydraulichose.com...tings_s/75.htm

I'm told they are OK but haven't tried them. I used the premade hoses
from Northern and Parker store mistakes and put up with the excess
length. The Parker store clerk said the Northern hoses had the same
fittings he would have installed.

In the Northeast this company has good prices and selection:
http://www.omniservices.com/default..../locations.htm

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:38:33 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ignoramus32264" wrote in
message

The fittings in onesies or twosies are not cheap either, especially
with shipping. I would find a good hydraulics store nearby and
patronize it, personally.

There are reuseable fittings that would let you make hoses long and
shorten them after you have used the home-made machine enough to
establish the right hose routing.
http://www.discounthydraulichose.com...tings_s/75.htm

I'm told they are OK but haven't tried them. I used the premade hoses
from Northern and Parker store mistakes and put up with the excess
length. The Parker store clerk said the Northern hoses had the same
fittings he would have installed.

In the Northeast this company has good prices and selection:
http://www.omniservices.com/default..../locations.htm

jsw

When I worked at a lumbermill I made up too many hydraulic hoses to
count using the thread on fittings. None of them failed. They were
well designed and simple to use. However, for the ones we used at
least, if they weren't threaded in straight they would sometimes cut a
little piece of rubber out of the inside of the hose. This little
piece of rubber then gets stuck downstream in something important.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 21:42:10 -0500, Ignoramus32264

On 2012-04-18, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2012-04-17, Stanley Schaefer wrote:
[...]

Back in the body shop days, we'd always use the local NAPA store.
Prices were about 60% of the local hydraulics shop or auto dealership,
too. There's even one here in sleepy little GP.

--
You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others,
or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are.