Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best way to scrap/liquidate gold coins and gold teeth

I have some gold coins and some gold teeth, all legitimately
obtained.

The coins, are old Russian tsar gold coins with a picture of a dumb
looking guy (Nichloas II) on them.

What is the most straightforward and relatively optimal way to sell
that stuff. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 22:57:31 -0500, Ignoramus26859 wrote:

I have some gold coins and some gold teeth, all legitimately obtained.

The coins, are old Russian tsar gold coins with a picture of a dumb
looking guy (Nichloas II) on them.

What is the most straightforward and relatively optimal way to sell that
stuff. Thanks

I am so not going to get buried in Chicago.

I'd check to see if the coins have any numismatic value to them -- if
they're like old cars, their for-sale value could range any where from
scrap minus the expense of getting them to the junkyard, all the way up
to the stratosphere.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus26859" wrote in message
I have some gold coins and some gold teeth, all legitimately
obtained.

The coins, are old Russian tsar gold coins with a picture of a dumb
looking guy (Nichloas II) on them.

What is the most straightforward and relatively optimal way to sell
that stuff. Thanks

For the coins:

http://www.americancoinexpress.com/

They also buy gold teeth, they have a X-Ray
spectrometer to determine the actual gold content
of teeth etc. Avoid the cash for gold guys, most of
them will try to cheat you.

For scrap:

http://www.in-gold-we-trust.info/?page=home

Spot price:

kitco.com

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 21:40:55 -0700, "azotic"
wrote:

Avoid the cash for gold guys, most of
them will try to cheat you.

Very, very true. I have an 1870's coin with a "book value" of
$230, I was very generously offered $137 by one of these sharks.
Needless to say, I declined to sell it.

I also have a lot of Oz silver coins with a face value of about $103,
a couple of them have a book value of over $20. I would not expect
to get that as they have been in circulation, probably about $800 for
the lot.

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26859 wrote in
:

I have some gold coins and some gold teeth, all legitimately
obtained.

The coins, are old Russian tsar gold coins with a picture of a dumb
looking guy (Nichloas II) on them.

Possibly worth *far* more as coins than as scrap gold.

What is the most straightforward and relatively optimal way to sell
that stuff. Thanks

I'd take the coins to a coin dealer first...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 17:13:59 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

Ignoramus26859 wrote in
:

I have some gold coins and some gold teeth, all legitimately obtained.

The coins, are old Russian tsar gold coins with a picture of a dumb
looking guy (Nichloas II) on them.

Possibly worth *far* more as coins than as scrap gold.

What is the most straightforward and relatively optimal way to sell
that stuff. Thanks

I'd take the coins to a coin dealer first...

That's what I'd do -- without getting all starry-eyed. The old car world
is full of stories about some non-car person with a wrecked 4-door in the
barn, thinking that it should be priced the same as an immaculately
restored convertible of the same model and vintage.

The same thing applies to coins: you may have a windfall, but you likely
have a bunch of scrap gold. All I know about coin prices is that to
collectors, a common, heavily worn coin is pretty much worth the metal.
It only goes up from there as collector interest increases, and that
usually goes with rarity and quality. And some fairly old coins are seen
as "common".

There is no intrinsic value in an old coin (or an old car) beyond what
you can do with it: once you get past melting it down for the metal,
using it for a shim (or driving to work in it, in the case of the car),
it's 'value' is just an illusion in the eye of the purchaser. So you
need to consult with an expert who shares illusions with the marked for
these 'desirable' things to find out if what you have is a bag of
valuable coins -- or a bunch of little golden shims.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 13, 1:23*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Softwarehttp://www.wescottdesign.com

For coins try: https://www.cachemetals.com/

teeth, not sure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I usually hear the story of the mythical widow woman. Wants to sell the 1936
Packard that her husband used to drive. Put up on blocks, and polished every
year since he stopped driving, in 1939 when he died of a heart attack.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message

That's what I'd do -- without getting all starry-eyed. The old car world
is full of stories about some non-car person with a wrecked 4-door in the
barn, thinking that it should be priced the same as an immaculately
restored convertible of the same model and vintage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have some gold coins and some gold teeth, all legitimately
obtained.

The coins, are old Russian tsar gold coins with a picture of a dumb
looking guy (Nichloas II) on them.

What is the most straightforward and relatively optimal way to sell
that stuff. Thanks

What I have found is that dealers that pay closest to spot prices have a three
ounce minimum. Obviously, avoid all stores with dancing gorillas holding a "WE
BUY GOLD!" sign.
--
William

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 12, 6:40*pm, "azotic" wrote:
"Ignoramus26859" wrote in message

I have some gold coins and some gold teeth, all legitimately
obtained.

The coins, are old Russian tsar gold coins with a picture of a dumb
looking guy (Nichloas II) on them.

What is the most straightforward and relatively optimal way to sell
that stuff. Thanks

For the coins:

http://www.americancoinexpress.com/

They also buy gold teeth, they have a X-Ray
spectrometer to determine the actual gold content
of teeth etc. Avoid the cash for gold guys, most of
them will try to cheat you.

For scrap:

http://www.in-gold-we-trust.info/?page=home

Spot price:

kitco.com

Best Regards
Tom.
--http://fija.org/

I've bought from Rio Grande off and on for 30 years but but have never
sold gold to them. The pay 85% of the spot price for scrap.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 12, 5:57*pm, Ignoramus26859 ignoramus26...@NOSPAM.
26859.invalid wrote:
I have some gold coins and some gold teeth, all legitimately
obtained.

The coins, are old Russian tsar gold coins with a picture of a dumb
looking guy (Nichloas II) on them.

What is the most straightforward and relatively optimal way to sell
that stuff. Thanks

The address.
http://www.riogrande.com/landingpage.aspx?n=scrap
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Apr 12, 6:40 pm, "azotic" wrote:
[...]

I have seen several local TV ads that claim to pay spot price
for gold coins, might have been sahara coins.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

26859.invalid wrote:
I have some gold coins and some gold teeth, all legitimately
obtained.

The coins, are old Russian tsar gold coins with a picture of a dumb
looking guy (Nichloas II) on them.

What is the most straightforward and relatively optimal way to sell
that stuff. Thanks

The address.
http://www.riogrande.com/landingpage.aspx?n=scrap
Karl

Iggy;
As much as I love rio grande, I wouldn't send them my scrap. There are
plenty of people paying better.
Try NTR Metals in Rosemont. You will need to supply your bonafides but they
will give you a square count and a high percentage.
If you want to email me off list with the particulars on the coins, I will
look them up.
I can't tell you prices, but I can tell you the content and if they have any
value above the gold contained

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus26859" wrote in message
I have some gold coins and some gold teeth, all legitimately
obtained.

The coins, are old Russian tsar gold coins with a picture of a dumb
looking guy (Nichloas II) on them.

What is the most straightforward and relatively optimal way to sell
that stuff. Thanks

Take them to a coin shop to make sure you know what they are worth. Try to
ascertain how many karat gold they are. Then do the math. Teeth may have
to be crushed, or with a little searching, a buyer may be found.

Shop around when selling. We sold a gold necklace for $900 in Las Vegas
that we were offered $450 for here in Utah. They are NOT all the same, and
whatever you do, don't send it to one of those through the mail things. I
just saw a study where they sent 12 identical items, and from top to lowest
price was one hell of a spread. Like $100 for the top buyer, and $25 for
the lowest. Same gold, same amount.

I'd google "dental gold buyer", and start there.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 14, 7:21*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

I'll second that. A friend of mine took a gold-filled tooth to two
"cash for gold" places and was given prices that varied by EXACTLY
100%. A reputable jewler wil crush the tooth, melt out the gold, test
it with a touchstone, weigh it, and give you a price which should not
vary very far from the current spot price (with an allowance for his
labor and some small profit).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/14/2012 8:35 PM, rangerssuck wrote:

I'll second that. A friend of mine took a gold-filled tooth to two
"cash for gold" places and was given prices that varied by EXACTLY
100%. A reputable jewler wil crush the tooth, melt out the gold, test
it with a touchstone, weigh it, and give you a price which should not
vary very far from the current spot price (with an allowance for his
labor and some small profit).

There is a certain level of speculation on the part of the jeweler. He
sends the scrap gold to the smelter. The smelter assays and processes
the metal some time later, depending on (among other things) the volume
of business at the time. The jeweler is paid the spot price in effect
when the metal is processed.
If Harold Vordos or Jeff Wisnia still read the group, I'm sure they
could give better/more information.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have some gold coins and some gold teeth, all legitimately
obtained.

The coins, are old Russian tsar gold coins with a picture of a dumb
looking guy (Nichloas II) on them.

What is the most straightforward and relatively optimal way to sell
that stuff. Thanks

Keep them for now. Gold prices are likely to go much higher.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

[...]

If you've got a decent camera and the skills to use it, take the best
pictures you can of them and post 'em on ebay. Nicholas II gold coins
seem to be going anywhere from 10 bucks to over 400.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 12, 10:57*pm, Ignoramus26859 ignoramus26...@NOSPAM.
26859.invalid wrote:
I have some gold coins and some gold teeth, all legitimately
obtained.

The coins, are old Russian tsar gold coins with a picture of a dumb
looking guy (Nichloas II) on them.

What is the most straightforward and relatively optimal way to sell
that stuff. Thanks

Well the best way to redeem gold teeth from conservatives is to stick
their heads in the furance until they quit screaming.

It does stink quite a bit though.

TMT