Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

Default Cutting with an Idealarc 250

I have some heavy steel beams I'd like to cut for easier transport. I'd be
cutting through about 24 lineal inches of 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick steel. Would
that be a long job using a lot of consumables for an Idealarc 250 stick
welder? I don't have an Oxyacetylene setup or a plasma cutter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-03-31, ATP wrote:
I have some heavy steel beams I'd like to cut for easier transport. I'd be
cutting through about 24 lineal inches of 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick steel. Would
that be a long job using a lot of consumables for an Idealarc 250 stick
welder? I don't have an Oxyacetylene setup or a plasma cutter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It will work with wet 6011 rod, dip it in BUCKET often
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 08:19:54 -0500, Ignoramus20530

On 2012-03-31, ATP wrote:
I have some heavy steel beams I'd like to cut for easier transport. I'd be
cutting through about 24 lineal inches of 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick steel. Would
that be a long job using a lot of consumables for an Idealarc 250 stick
welder? I don't have an Oxyacetylene setup or a plasma cutter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It will work with wet 6011 rod, dip it in BUCKET often

OK, I'll bite. How do you _cut_ with welding rod?
I thought carbon rods were used for that. (arc gouging)

--
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the
government fears the people, there is liberty."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-03-31, ATP wrote:
I have some heavy steel beams I'd like to cut for easier transport. I'd be
cutting through about 24 lineal inches of 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick steel. Would
that be a long job using a lot of consumables for an Idealarc 250 stick
welder? I don't have an Oxyacetylene setup or a plasma cutter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It will work with wet 6011 rod, dip it in BUCKET often

OK, I'll bite. How do you _cut_ with welding rod?
I thought carbon rods were used for that. (arc gouging)

Wet 6010 gives off so much gas and steam that it blows molten steel
away.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-03-31, ATP wrote:
I have some heavy steel beams I'd like to cut for easier transport. I'd be
cutting through about 24 lineal inches of 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick steel. Would
that be a long job using a lot of consumables for an Idealarc 250 stick
welder? I don't have an Oxyacetylene setup or a plasma cutter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It will work with wet 6011 rod, dip it in BUCKET often

OK, I'll bite. How do you _cut_ with welding rod?
I thought carbon rods were used for that. (arc gouging)

Wet 6010 gives off so much gas and steam that it blows molten steel
away.

OK. Is it quicker and cleaner (yeah, right) than diamond or abrasive
wheels in a saw or angle grinder?

I've never cut anything nearly that thick nor large.

--
The unexamined life is not worth living.
--Socrates
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-03-31, ATP wrote:
I have some heavy steel beams I'd like to cut for easier transport. I'd be
cutting through about 24 lineal inches of 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick steel. Would
that be a long job using a lot of consumables for an Idealarc 250 stick
welder? I don't have an Oxyacetylene setup or a plasma cutter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It will work with wet 6011 rod, dip it in BUCKET often

OK, I'll bite. How do you _cut_ with welding rod?
I thought carbon rods were used for that. (arc gouging)

Wet 6010 gives off so much gas and steam that it blows molten steel
away.

When I was first learning how to weld I tried using 1/8 6011 rod at
300 amps just to see what it would do. It burned right through 1/2
mild steel plate. The rod itself melted by the time it was about 1/2
the starting length. I never thought about dipping the rod into water.
I bet that works great.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-03-31, ATP wrote:
I have some heavy steel beams I'd like to cut for easier transport. I'd be
cutting through about 24 lineal inches of 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick steel. Would
that be a long job using a lot of consumables for an Idealarc 250 stick
welder? I don't have an Oxyacetylene setup or a plasma cutter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It will work with wet 6011 rod, dip it in BUCKET often

OK, I'll bite. How do you _cut_ with welding rod?
I thought carbon rods were used for that. (arc gouging)

Wet 6010 gives off so much gas and steam that it blows molten steel
away.

OK. Is it quicker and cleaner (yeah, right) than diamond or abrasive
wheels in a saw or angle grinder?

I've never cut anything nearly that thick nor large.

It leaves a very disgusting, jagged edge. But it works.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-03-31, ATP wrote:
I have some heavy steel beams I'd like to cut for easier transport. I'd be
cutting through about 24 lineal inches of 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick steel. Would
that be a long job using a lot of consumables for an Idealarc 250 stick
welder? I don't have an Oxyacetylene setup or a plasma cutter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It will work with wet 6011 rod, dip it in BUCKET often

OK, I'll bite. How do you _cut_ with welding rod?
I thought carbon rods were used for that. (arc gouging)

Wet 6010 gives off so much gas and steam that it blows molten steel
away.

OK. Is it quicker and cleaner (yeah, right) than diamond or abrasive
wheels in a saw or angle grinder?

I've never cut anything nearly that thick nor large.

It leaves a very disgusting, jagged edge. But it works.

You'd want to use the angle grinder to clean up the edges so you don't
rip yourself to shreds afterward, I reckon.

--
The unexamined life is not worth living.
--Socrates

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 08:43:12 -0400, "ATP"
wrote:

I have some heavy steel beams I'd like to cut for easier transport. I'd be
cutting through about 24 lineal inches of 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick steel. Would
that be a long job using a lot of consumables for an Idealarc 250 stick
welder? I don't have an Oxyacetylene setup or a plasma cutter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

if you're going to do this more than once get an air arc gun for your
welder. i'd shop eBay for it. Blows through metal faster than a torch.
You'll need an air compressor plus your welder. I scored one at an
auction real cheap, most don't know what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_carbon_arc_cutting

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
... air arc gun for your
welder. ... Blows through metal faster than a torch.

What's the cut quality like? Sounds like it would be pretty rough.

Bob

IdealArc 250 welder, $90, craigslist Beryl[_5_] Metalworking 2 October 3rd 10 04:57 AM
FS -- Lincoln Idealarc AC/DC 250 TIG welder Joe Metalworking 1 July 17th 09 04:23 PM
IDEALARC 300/300 knowone Metalworking 26 March 5th 06 04:00 AM
Idealarc 300/300 Need Help - Triping Breaker Noble Metalworking 4 March 1st 06 02:40 PM
Lincoln Idealarc 250/250 AC/DC/ Tig question Gunner Metalworking 13 November 21st 04 12:52 AM