Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus20530 Ignoramus20530 is offline

Default Cutting with an Idealarc 250

On 2012-03-31, wrote:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 08:50:13 -0500, Ignoramus20530

On 2012-03-31, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 08:19:54 -0500, Ignoramus20530

On 2012-03-31, ATP wrote:
I have some heavy steel beams I'd like to cut for easier transport. I'd be
cutting through about 24 lineal inches of 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick steel. Would
that be a long job using a lot of consumables for an Idealarc 250 stick
welder? I don't have an Oxyacetylene setup or a plasma cutter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It will work with wet 6011 rod, dip it in BUCKET often

OK, I'll bite. How do you _cut_ with welding rod?
I thought carbon rods were used for that. (arc gouging)

Wet 6010 gives off so much gas and steam that it blows molten steel
away.

When I was first learning how to weld I tried using 1/8 6011 rod at
300 amps just to see what it would do. It burned right through 1/2
mild steel plate. The rod itself melted by the time it was about 1/2
the starting length. I never thought about dipping the rod into water.
I bet that works great.
Eric

Yes, cut a little, dip, cut some more, dip, etc.