Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help with Cosmoline

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 11:01:32 -0700 (PDT), Stanley Schaefer
wrote:

On Mar 21, 7:30*pm, G. Morgan wrote:
Stanley Schaefer wrote:
find a dealer in
Moisin-Nagants and offer to clean out some barrels for them in return
for the goop.

Do you know where to buy a bent bolt handle for the MN by chance?
The one company I found that makes them are out of stock/backordered
for months.

You can use a set of blocks to forge (red hot and bend it) it down,
you can cut it off, leaving a stump and then a new on the lathe and
weld it on. Use a flat piece of steel and make a "butter knife bolt
handle". Many solutions.

See:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...r-Bolt-Handles
http://216.197.108.5/cook/gunDisplay.cfm?gun_ID=5
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stanley Schaefer wrote:
find a dealer in
Moisin-Nagants and offer to clean out some barrels for them in return
for the goop.

Do you know where to buy a bent bolt handle for the MN by chance?
The one company I found that makes them are out of stock/backordered
for months.

You can use a set of blocks to forge (red hot and bend it) it down,
you can cut it off, leaving a stump and then a new on the lathe and
weld it on. Use a flat piece of steel and make a "butter knife bolt
handle". Many solutions.

See:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...r-Bolt-Handles
http://216.197.108.5/cook/gunDisplay.cfm?gun_ID=5

John B.

A long time ago, I bought a "bent bolt kit", cut off the original
bolt, and took it to a welding shop to weld on the replacement.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stanley Schaefer wrote:
find a dealer in
Moisin-Nagants and offer to clean out some barrels for them in return
for the goop.

Do you know where to buy a bent bolt handle for the MN by chance?
The one company I found that makes them are out of stock/backordered
for months.

You can use a set of blocks to forge (red hot and bend it) it down,
you can cut it off, leaving a stump and then a new on the lathe and
weld it on. Use a flat piece of steel and make a "butter knife bolt
handle". Many solutions.

See:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...r-Bolt-Handles
http://216.197.108.5/cook/gunDisplay.cfm?gun_ID=5

John B.

A long time ago, I bought a "bent bolt kit", cut off the original
bolt, and took it to a welding shop to weld on the replacement.

I used to do that. I also had a set of blocks to hold the bolt and
allow you to re-forge the bolt handle down. There are all kinds of
ways to do it - I found one site that would do it for you for $60.
--
Cheers,

John B.