Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help with Cosmoline

On Mar 22, 5:07*am, " wrote:
On Mar 21, 2:02*am, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
Source, I'd try Ebay or Amazon.

Information. The gentlemen on rec crafts metalworking will know this kind of
thing.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Jack Boot" wrote in message

I'm looking for a place to buy a small amount of Cosmoline. I need about
two or three tablespoonfuls of a very thick, sticky grade, not the spray
form used as a rust protectant.

Anyone know where I can find?

Jack Boot

Would LPS-3 work?http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/co...n_pg/LPS3.html
Karl- Hide quoted text -

I get the impression the O.P. wants it for something other than rust
protection, he never answered my query as to what he wanted it for,
though. Maybe he's got a "cosmo" tin from a squad 1911 cleaning kit
that needs filling for display or something. As far as the original
use of cosmoline, LPS-3 is about as close as you're going to get to a
spray-on substitute, I use it for long term outside storage. Not as
cheap as the original, though. Not as nasty to get off, either.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

LPS-3 is nothing like Cosmoline. Cosmoline provides more of less
eternal protection on parts not exposed to the sun. This is why it is
so difficult to remove.

Not so with LPS-3. I sold a 25 lbs jar of Cosmoline recently.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus16440" wrote
LPS-3 is nothing like Cosmoline. Cosmoline provides more of less
eternal protection on parts not exposed to the sun. This is why it
is
so difficult to remove.

Not so with LPS-3. I sold a 25 lbs jar of Cosmoline recently.

LPS-3 is good for a year or two in the sun and rain. I spray it on
galvanized roofing and the exposed welds on my trailer. Once a thin
rust or zinc oxide film has formed it holds the LPS-3.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-03-22, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Ignoramus16440" wrote
LPS-3 is nothing like Cosmoline. Cosmoline provides more of less
eternal protection on parts not exposed to the sun. This is why it
is
so difficult to remove.

Not so with LPS-3. I sold a 25 lbs jar of Cosmoline recently.

LPS-3 is good for a year or two in the sun and rain. I spray it on
galvanized roofing and the exposed welds on my trailer. Once a thin
rust or zinc oxide film has formed it holds the LPS-3.

For me, it was good for 6 months. Yes, it does work pretty well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 17:42:59 -0500, Ignoramus16440

On 2012-03-22, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Ignoramus16440" wrote
LPS-3 is nothing like Cosmoline. Cosmoline provides more of less
eternal protection on parts not exposed to the sun. This is why it
is
so difficult to remove.

Not so with LPS-3. I sold a 25 lbs jar of Cosmoline recently.

LPS-3 is good for a year or two in the sun and rain. I spray it on
galvanized roofing and the exposed welds on my trailer. Once a thin
rust or zinc oxide film has formed it holds the LPS-3.

For me, it was good for 6 months. Yes, it does work pretty well.

There is also LPS hardcoat. lasts longer, leaves a wax more like a not
sticky cosmoline. supposed to last ten years inside. I'm still
testing. get back to me in another nine years.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 22, 6:42*pm, Ignoramus16440 ignoramus16...@NOSPAM.
On 2012-03-22, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Ignoramus16440" wrote
LPS-3 is nothing like Cosmoline. Cosmoline provides more of less
eternal protection on parts not exposed to the sun. This is why it
is
so difficult to remove.

Not so with LPS-3. I sold a 25 lbs jar of Cosmoline recently.

LPS-3 is good for a year or two in the sun and rain. I spray it on
galvanized roofing and the exposed welds on my trailer. Once a thin
rust or zinc oxide film has formed it holds the LPS-3.

For me, it was good for 6 months. Yes, it does work pretty well.

Just as an aside, I put vaseline on my bird feeder pole to keep
squirrels off it, and I expected to have to regrease it weekly or so.
It's now been 8 months out in wind, rain & snow and it's still quite
greasy. I can't say how rustproof it is, as the pole is painted.