Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A Question for You Air Only Guys

I needed to get a couple jobs done. The screws need to be replaced on the
Taig so I couldn't use its regular flood oil coolant setup until I fix it.
I used my smaller machine, rubbed a little Tap Magic on the work piece and
hit it with a blast of compressed air. When surfacing off the aluminum work
piece with a 1/4" end mill (largest that spindle will hold) it got pretty
hot, but it worked great when 3D carving with a 1/16 ball mill. I ran full
pressure off my compressor (125 PSI I think) and used a simple ball valve to
regulate flow somewhat, but I let it flow pretty heavily. So... how much
air do you guys use? Pressure? CFM?

My compressor ran continuously when I was running the mill. I'll be adding
an electric shut off valve to the air line to that cabinet, so my compressor
will shut off when I am done with a cut, but I was thinking if I could
consume less air and get a decent job I would add a flow and pressure
regulator too.