Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default German language help?

There is a story in the news today about a Chinese company that bought
a German construction-equipment company named Putzmeister.

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

I have only a smattering of German from back in the 80s, but "Putz" means
"Put".

So I'd believe that their equipment is designed to "put" stuff... lift
it, move it, place it...

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 09:13:15 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

I have only a smattering of German from back in the 80s, but "Putz" means
"Put".

So I'd believe that their equipment is designed to "put" stuff... lift
it, move it, place it...

LLoyd

Aha! That would make sense. Their primary product is concrete pumps.

And it's a big relief. I was afraid they were "masters of idiots." g

Thanks, Lloyd.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-03-08, Ed Huntress wrote:
There is a story in the news today about a Chinese company that bought
a German construction-equipment company named Putzmeister.

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

I believe that it is mortar master. They make concrete pumps.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus2551 fired this volley in
:

I believe that it is mortar master. They make concrete pumps.

Quite possible, though I don't have that nuance in what German I learned.

Like English, Germans tend to use one word for more than one meaning.

It might mean mortar, too.

More interesting, though, is what Germans do when they don't _have_ a
word to describe something. Then they just string other ones together
into a single noun that can be dozens of syllables long! G

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/8/2012 7:04 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
There is a story in the news today about a Chinese company that bought
a German construction-equipment company named Putzmeister.

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

"Putz" also means plaster in German.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/8/2012 7:37 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 09:13:15 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed fired this volley in
:

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

I have only a smattering of German from back in the 80s, but "Putz" means
"Put".

No, it doesn't. The verb "putzen" means "to clean". It means a whole
lot of things pertaining to cleaning as well.

"Putz" also means plaster. Putzmeister is a manufacturer of concrete
pumps and other pumps for slurry, sewage, etc. A Putzer is a plasterer.

So I'd believe that their equipment is designed to "put" stuff... lift
it, move it, place it...

LLoyd

Aha! That would make sense. Their primary product is concrete pumps.

And it's a big relief. I was afraid they were "masters of idiots."g

Thanks, Lloyd.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 08:23:39 -0800, George Plimpton
wrote:

On 3/8/2012 7:04 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
There is a story in the news today about a Chinese company that bought
a German construction-equipment company named Putzmeister.

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

"Putz" also means plaster in German.

Gottcha. Thanks.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

fired this volley in
:

I believe that it is mortar master. They make concrete pumps.

Quite possible, though I don't have that nuance in what German I learned.

Like English, Germans tend to use one word for more than one meaning.

It might mean mortar, too.

More interesting, though, is what Germans do when they don't _have_ a
word to describe something. Then they just string other ones together
into a single noun that can be dozens of syllables long!G

Here's a list with a few exceptionally long German nouns:
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~waterbuf/longwrds.html Following the fourth
one are some funny pseudo-words.

The longest one I remember from my residency in Germany is
Geschwindigkeitsüberschreitung. It means a speeding ticket. The
Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung is the speed limit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in
. 3.70:

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

I have only a smattering of German from back in the 80s, but "Putz" means
"Put".

It means nothing of the sort. The German word meaning "to put" is "stecken".

"Putzen" means "to clean".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote in
:

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 09:13:15 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
m:

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

I have only a smattering of German from back in the 80s, but "Putz" means
"Put".

So I'd believe that their equipment is designed to "put" stuff... lift
it, move it, place it...

LLoyd

Aha! That would make sense. Their primary product is concrete pumps.

It would make more sense if it were correct.

And it's a big relief. I was afraid they were "masters of idiots." g

I'm afraid your understanding of its meaning isn't correct either. "Putz", as a noun, in German
means a small child; it can also mean dirty clothes (see a connection there?). In Yiddish, it's
vulgar slang for "penis".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 19:06:38 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote in
:

[...]

And those concrete pumpers have one very long "penis". My brother and
I have always laughed at those trucks. The company must have known
that some americans would think of that name as meaning "Master
Penis".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/8/2012 11:06 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Ed wrote in
:

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 09:13:15 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed fired this volley in
:

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

I have only a smattering of German from back in the 80s, but "Putz" means
"Put".

So I'd believe that their equipment is designed to "put" stuff... lift
it, move it, place it...

LLoyd

Aha! That would make sense. Their primary product is concrete pumps.

It would make more sense if it were correct.

If what were correct - their main product is concrete pumps? It is.
From their web page, at http://www.putzmeister.com/enu/index.htm:

"Concrete, mortar, solids pumps, underground concreting"

Also:

Putzmeister develops, produces, sells and serves its customers
worldwide with technically high-quality and service-oriented
machines in the following areas: Placing of concrete, Truck-
mounted concrete pumps, Stationary concrete pumps, Stationary
placing booms and accessories, industrial technology, pipe
delivery of industrial solids, concrete placement and removal of
excavated material in tunnels and underground, Robot and materials
handling technology, Mortar machines, Plastering machines, Screed
conveying, Injection and special applications.

And it's a big relief. I was afraid they were "masters of idiots."g

I'm afraid your understanding of its meaning isn't correct either. "Putz", as a noun, in German
means a small child; it can also mean dirty clothes (see a connection there?). In Yiddish, it's
vulgar slang for "penis".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:04:52 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

There is a story in the news today about a Chinese company that bought
a German construction-equipment company named Putzmeister.

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

From my vast experience of ordering beers in East, West and United
German, I summon the powers of Google and..

http://www.putzmeister.com/enu/1958-1965.htm

New name: "Putzmeister" - for master plastering.. and indeed Google
Translate says "plaster" is "putz" in German.

So, when you plaster something you are putzing around putting
something pretty much purely decorative on there, which could
represent a common origin with the slang 'putz' term.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/8/2012 11:29 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 19:06:38 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Ed wrote in
:

[...]

When I lived in Germany for 18 months in 1985-86, I didn't have a sense
that Germans gave much thought to how Americans regarded German words.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:36:09 -0800, George Plimpton
wrote:

When I lived in Germany for 18 months in 1985-86, I didn't have a sense
that Germans gave much thought to how Americans regarded German words.

But Americans are entertained by thinking of Germans giving thought to
how Americans use German words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ich_bin..._misconception

"Ich bin ein Hamburger!" said the pink slime.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

There is a story in the news today about a Chinese company that bought
a German construction-equipment company named Putzmeister.

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

From my vast experience of ordering beers in East, West and United
German, I summon the powers of Google and..

http://www.putzmeister.com/enu/1958-1965.htm

New name: "Putzmeister" - for master plastering.. and indeed Google
Translate says "plaster" is "putz" in German.

So, when you plaster something you are putzing around putting
something pretty much purely decorative on there, which could
represent a common origin with the slang 'putz' term.

Your putz may be purely decorative, but you should speak only for yourself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:29:27 -0800, wrote:

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 19:06:38 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote in
m:

[...]

Well, yeah, what the heck? Most of us are more likely to know the
vulgar definitions of anything. d8-)

English dictionaries also say "idiot." Maybe they mean us, for not
knowing what it means.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

There is a story in the news today about a Chinese company that bought
a German construction-equipment company named Putzmeister.

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

From my vast experience of ordering beers in East, West and United
German, I summon the powers of Google and..

http://www.putzmeister.com/enu/1958-1965.htm

New name: "Putzmeister" - for master plastering.. and indeed Google
Translate says "plaster" is "putz" in German.

So, when you plaster something you are putzing around putting
something pretty much purely decorative on there, which could
represent a common origin with the slang 'putz' term.

And here I thought maybe they were bragging about their sexual
prowess.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 19:04:10 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in
.3.70:

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

I have only a smattering of German from back in the 80s, but "Putz" means
"Put".

It means nothing of the sort. The German word meaning "to put" is "stecken".

"Putzen" means "to clean".

This.

E.g Putzfrau is a cleaning woman. Putzmeister suggests "cleaning
master". (NB "Meister Proper" is German Mr. Clean).

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

On 2012-03-08, Ed Huntress wrote:
There is a story in the news today about a Chinese company that bought
a German construction-equipment company named Putzmeister.

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

I believe that it is mortar master. They make concrete pumps.

http://sanygroup.com/group/en-us/med...xt_content.htm
?1963 Birth of Putzmeister

In 1963, the name of KS-Maschinenbau was replaced by Putzmeister, which
means "master of mortar" in German. Putzmeister has never left the concrete
machinery industry ever since. Putzmeister's 'Elephant' concrete pump gained
its popularity in early 70s, and has gradually made the company one of the
global leaders in terms of market share, geographic coverage, technology
advance as well as product range in concrete pumping industry.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote in message

In 1963, the name of KS-Maschinenbau was replaced by Putzmeister,
which means "master of mortar" in German.

Becoming a Yiddish insult doesn't disqualify a word from standard
German. "Family jewels" hasn't corrupted "jewels", and Dick and Peter
are still acceptable names.
http://www.klimt02.net/fairs/schmuck-2012

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

"ATP" wrote in message

In 1963, the name of KS-Maschinenbau was replaced by Putzmeister, which
means "master of mortar" in German.

Becoming a Yiddish insult doesn't disqualify a word from standard German.
"Family jewels" hasn't corrupted "jewels", and Dick and Peter are still
acceptable names.
http://www.klimt02.net/fairs/schmuck-2012

jsw

Yes, although certain combinations should probably be avoided. For example,
if your last name is Head or Liss, naming your son Richard might make middle
school a bit more difficult..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:22:29 -0700

"ATP" wrote in message

In 1963, the name of KS-Maschinenbau was replaced by Putzmeister, which
means "master of mortar" in German.

Becoming a Yiddish insult doesn't disqualify a word from standard German.
"Family jewels" hasn't corrupted "jewels", and Dick and Peter are still
acceptable names.
http://www.klimt02.net/fairs/schmuck-2012

jsw

Yes, although certain combinations should probably be avoided. For example,
if your last name is Head or Liss, naming your son Richard might make middle
school a bit more difficult..

Or if your last name is Liss..naming the boy Head really would give him
a challenge....

Helza, good name for a German Girl.

But trying to convince Mr Poppin that in America, "nicht so
stimpt".
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , huntres23
@optonline.net says...

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 11:29:27 -0800, wrote:

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 19:06:38 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote in
m:

[...]

Well, now, think about it, in English one subtle gradation of "idiot" is
"dickhead". Yiddish just shortens it to "dick".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Well, now, think about it, in English one subtle gradation of
"idiot" is
"dickhead". Yiddish just shortens it to "dick".

One meaning of putz is ornament, as in a Christmas decoration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_village