Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Free usenet

Yah, I know we've been through this before. But what is a good FREE usenet
server? Where do I sign up? Preferences? I would like to get binaries for
my photography.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/22/2012 9:20 AM, Steve B wrote:
Yah, I know we've been through this before. But what is a good FREE usenet
server? Where do I sign up? Preferences? I would like to get binaries for
my photography.

Steve

I never had much luck using free Usenet servers. Anyway, here are two
sites maintained by people who like to track such things:

http://freenews.maxbaud.net/
http://www.freeusenetnews.com/

In the first one, click on one of the "index results" links to see the
servers he has found on a given day.

Both sites indicate if posting through the servers is allowed. Most
free servers don't allow posting.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
Yah, I know we've been through this before. But what is a good FREE
usenet server? Where do I sign up? Preferences? I would like to
get binaries for my photography.

Steve

Teranews has a free after $3.95 sign-up usenet service including
binaries . eternal-september has totally free , but their binary service
sucks . There may be others , thed=se are the 2 I use - e-s is basically a
backup in case tera has a problem , I read one group there
rec.gardens.edible just to keep the account active .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
news
Steve B wrote:
Yah, I know we've been through this before. But what is a good FREE
usenet server? Where do I sign up? Preferences? I would like to
get binaries for my photography.

Steve

Teranews has a free after $3.95 sign-up usenet service including
binaries . eternal-september has totally free , but their binary service
sucks . There may be others , thed=se are the 2 I use - e-s is basically a
backup in case tera has a problem , I read one group there
rec.gardens.edible just to keep the account active .

I use those same two usenet servers. I also used to use aioe, but I think
they are gone now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/22/2012 11:40 AM, Snag wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Yah, I know we've been through this before. But what is a good FREE
usenet server? Where do I sign up? Preferences? I would like to
get binaries for my photography.

Steve

Teranews has a freeafter $3.95 sign-up usenet service including
binaries . eternal-september has totally free , but their binary service
sucks . There may be others , thed=se are the 2 I use - e-s is basically a
backup in case tera has a problem , I read one group there
rec.gardens.edible just to keep the account active .

interestingly enough, I have not been able to log onto teranews in about
a year - it shows my account, but nothing I can do lets me log onto the
servers, so I've been using another service. any clue what might be wrong?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 02/22/2012 12:44 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
news
Steve B wrote:
Yah, I know we've been through this before. But what is a good FREE
usenet server? Where do I sign up? Preferences? I would like to
get binaries for my photography.

Steve

Teranews has a free after $3.95 sign-up usenet service including
binaries . eternal-september has totally free , but their binary
service sucks . There may be others , thed=se are the 2 I use - e-s is
basically a backup in case tera has a problem , I read one group there
rec.gardens.edible just to keep the account active .

I use those same two usenet servers. I also used to use aioe, but I
think they are gone now.

They're still going.

nntp.aioe.org is all I use. Short retention of articles, just a couple
or three weeks. Reliable.

news.aioe.org is allegedly still working too, but slower.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/22/2012 9:16 PM, Bill wrote:
On 2/22/2012 11:40 AM, Snag wrote:

interestingly enough, I have not been able to log onto teranews in about
a year - it shows my account, but nothing I can do lets me log onto the
servers, so I've been using another service. any clue what might be wrong?

FWIW, I found my problem at least, they changed their server setup and
require you to add a text string to your user name to log on. - couldn't
find any way in T-bird to do that other than deleting the account and
then adding it back in. but now it works.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

Yah, I know we've been through this before. But what is a good FREE usenet
server? Where do I sign up? Preferences? I would like to get binaries for
my photography.

There is a newsgroup about free NNTP servers:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

nntp.aioe.org is all I use. Short retention of articles, just a couple or
three weeks. Reliable.

Went to their site, not sure how to hook this up, as there are no follow the
bouncing ball templates.

Help, or step by step directions appreciated.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill" wrote in message
On 2/22/2012 9:16 PM, Bill wrote:
On 2/22/2012 11:40 AM, Snag wrote:

interestingly enough, I have not been able to log onto teranews in about
a year - it shows my account, but nothing I can do lets me log onto the
servers, so I've been using another service. any clue what might be
wrong?

FWIW, I found my problem at least, they changed their server setup and
require you to add a text string to your user name to log on. - couldn't
find any way in T-bird to do that other than deleting the account and then
adding it back in. but now it works.

Yeah, that sort of thing is why I finally abandoned T-Bird. I could never
figure out how to edit an account.