Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Oil Packaging Question

Hi all,

Was talking to a neighbor this morning, and somehow came on the subject
of 1 quart plastic oil bottles... and we were trying to remember about
what year the change to them was made.

Does anyone here remember about when that was?

I'm thinking mid 80's or so...

Thanks in advance!

Erik

PS, BTW, I still have one of those old cans.. full and un-opened!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 18:45:48 -0800, Erik wrote:

Hi all,

Was talking to a neighbor this morning, and somehow came on the subject
of 1 quart plastic oil bottles... and we were trying to remember about
what year the change to them was made.

Does anyone here remember about when that was?

I'm thinking mid 80's or so...

Thanks in advance!

Erik

PS, BTW, I still have one of those old cans.. full and un-opened!

Sounds about right for their introduction, I would have guessed a little later
before they replaced cans entirely. BTW 100% metal cans disappeared in the mid
to late seventies and I kept my last one as an emergency spare for many years.
Much harder to accidentally puncture than the foil covered cardboard cans that
replaced them.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I worked for Naums Catalog Showroom, about the year 1980, and they had oil
in cardboard cans with the metal tops. The plastic ones had already been
marketed, so the transition started before then. Both were available.

The plastic ones pack in tighter, and are more space efficient.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Erik" wrote in message
Hi all,

Was talking to a neighbor this morning, and somehow came on the subject
of 1 quart plastic oil bottles... and we were trying to remember about
what year the change to them was made.

Does anyone here remember about when that was?

I'm thinking mid 80's or so...

Thanks in advance!

Erik

PS, BTW, I still have one of those old cans.. full and un-opened!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This web page says..... "in the 1969s"
http://www.ehow.com/list_7185973_types-oil-cans.html

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Erik" wrote in message
Hi all,

Was talking to a neighbor this morning, and somehow came on the subject
of 1 quart plastic oil bottles... and we were trying to remember about
what year the change to them was made.

Does anyone here remember about when that was?

I'm thinking mid 80's or so...

Thanks in advance!

Erik

PS, BTW, I still have one of those old cans.. full and un-opened!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/19/2012 7:14 PM, William Bagwell wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 18:45:48 -0800, wrote:

Hi all,

Was talking to a neighbor this morning, and somehow came on the subject
of 1 quart plastic oil bottles... and we were trying to remember about
what year the change to them was made.

Does anyone here remember about when that was?

I'm thinking mid 80's or so...

Sounds about right for their introduction,...

Way late for intro--sometime towards late-60s, I'd say was when they
initially came out. Were several incarnations of style before the
more-or-less now nearly universal side-spout one of width/height,
opening, etc., etc., ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:

Way late for intro--sometime towards late-60s, I'd say was when they
initially came out. Were several incarnations of style before the
more-or-less now nearly universal side-spout one of width/height,
opening, etc., etc., ...

I remember a valvoline ad in a auto parts store with a woman with
oily handprints on her shirt and the caption, "Real men don't use oil in
bottles!" It was right over the shelf of Valvoline otor oil in bottles,
so I bought a different brand.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 12:09:05 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

dpb wrote:

Way late for intro--sometime towards late-60s, I'd say was when they
initially came out. Were several incarnations of style before the
more-or-less now nearly universal side-spout one of width/height,
opening, etc., etc., ...

I remember a valvoline ad in a auto parts store with a woman with
oily handprints on her shirt and the caption, "Real men don't use oil in
bottles!" It was right over the shelf of Valvoline otor oil in bottles,
so I bought a different brand.

I worked in a gas station as a kid. We filled oil into glass quart
jars with a screw on funnel lid and cap to remove when filling the car
up a quart. anybody else do this?

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

dpb wrote:

Way late for intro--sometime towards late-60s, I'd say was when they
initially came out. Were several incarnations of style before the
more-or-less now nearly universal side-spout one of width/height,
opening, etc., etc., ...

I remember a valvoline ad in a auto parts store with a woman with
oily handprints on her shirt and the caption, "Real men don't use oil in
bottles!" It was right over the shelf of Valvoline otor oil in bottles,
so I bought a different brand.

I worked in a gas station as a kid. We filled oil into glass quart
jars with a screw on funnel lid and cap to remove when filling the car
up a quart. anybody else do this?

karl

Did it with the same top and a gallon glass jar for the Super Ag-Cat
crop dusters. P-W 985's, 7 gal. reserve oil tank.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

dpb wrote:

Way late for intro--sometime towards late-60s, I'd say was when they
initially came out. Were several incarnations of style before the
more-or-less now nearly universal side-spout one of width/height,
opening, etc., etc., ...

I remember a valvoline ad in a auto parts store with a woman with
oily handprints on her shirt and the caption, "Real men don't use oil in
bottles!" It was right over the shelf of Valvoline otor oil in bottles,
so I bought a different brand.

I worked in a gas station as a kid. We filled oil into glass quart
jars with a screw on funnel lid and cap to remove when filling the car
up a quart. anybody else do this?

No, but I remember one off brand gas station that sold 'recycled'
motor oil where you filled your containers from what looked like a 1000
gal fuel oil tank. I can't remember the name of the station or the oil,
it's been over 40 years since I was there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

dpb wrote:

Way late for intro--sometime towards late-60s, I'd say was when they
initially came out. Were several incarnations of style before the
more-or-less now nearly universal side-spout one of width/height,
opening, etc., etc., ...

I remember a valvoline ad in a auto parts store with a woman with
oily handprints on her shirt and the caption, "Real men don't use oil in
bottles!" It was right over the shelf of Valvoline otor oil in bottles,
so I bought a different brand.

I worked in a gas station as a kid. We filled oil into glass quart
jars with a screw on funnel lid and cap to remove when filling the car
up a quart. anybody else do this?

I vaguely remember seeing a _picture_ of one of those eons ago.

My first job after graduating from tech school was as a lube monkey
for a local Chebby dealer. (MAN, what a letdown!) We had newfangled
pumps and hoses which resembled gas pumps. They'd pump however many
quarts you set the dial for. Just pull the trigger.

Other tasks were the warranty replacement campaigns on all Chevy car
and truck motor mounts. That and other things made me a FORD man for
the rest of my life. (Well, until I bought the Tundra.)

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from folly
is to fill the world with fools.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

dpb wrote:

Way late for intro--sometime towards late-60s, I'd say was when they
initially came out. Were several incarnations of style before the
more-or-less now nearly universal side-spout one of width/height,
opening, etc., etc., ...

I remember a valvoline ad in a auto parts store with a woman with
oily handprints on her shirt and the caption, "Real men don't use oil in
bottles!" It was right over the shelf of Valvoline otor oil in bottles,
so I bought a different brand.

I worked in a gas station as a kid. We filled oil into glass quart
jars with a screw on funnel lid and cap to remove when filling the car
up a quart. anybody else do this?

karl

Yup, our oil came in 55 gal. drums.

How about an oil can drainer.
A funnel that held 6 cans, and drained into one.
In a day or two, a free quart of oil.

--
Gary A. Gorgen | "From ideas to PRODUCTS"
| Tunxis Design Inc.
| Cupertino, Ca. 95014
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/20/2012 11:46 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

I worked in a gas station as a kid. We filled oil into glass quart
jars with a screw on funnel lid and cap to remove when filling the car
up a quart. anybody else do this?

I presume you mean from bulk container used the quart jar/funnel as the
oil filler can?

I worked several summers for the local co-op station (mostly running the
wet fertilizer application rig but occasionally in the service
bay/driveway). Always had a regular 2-quart filler can for the purpose
w/ the builtin spout, no glass...what have for the trucks/small tractors
now altho the capacity of the larger made it almost mandatory to go to
bulk pump for them--carrying 23 qts two at a time gets rather tedious,
it was some years before I finally broke down and bought the
auto-dispenser rig.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gary A. Gorgen" wrote:

Yup, our oil came in 55 gal. drums.

How about an oil can drainer.
A funnel that held 6 cans, and drained into one.
In a day or two, a free quart of oil.

A friend of mine worked at a garage a few years ago. He would rinse
out antifreeze bottles and drain the 'empty' bottle of oil into them.
When he had more than two full (10 gal) for their shop vehicles, he'd
bring me one or two for my old car.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 2/19/2012 7:14 PM, William Bagwell wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 18:45:48 -0800, wrote:

Hi all,

Was talking to a neighbor this morning, and somehow came on the subject
of 1 quart plastic oil bottles... and we were trying to remember about
what year the change to them was made.

Does anyone here remember about when that was?

I'm thinking mid 80's or so...

Sounds about right for their introduction,...

Way late for intro--sometime towards late-60s, I'd say was when they
initially came out. Were several incarnations of style before the
more-or-less now nearly universal side-spout one of width/height,
opening, etc., etc., ...

Round paper oil cans were still common in '79

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT3cGdLIHA4

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Never know when you'll need it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Kelly D. Grills" wrote in message

Worked at a Standard gas station back about then,
we had quart & gallon round cardboard cans.

I finally disposed of a couple of the push in type
can openers, for cardboard cans, recently.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Never know when you'll need it.

He could have cleaned it up, and used it to open & pour restaurant
sized cans of fruit juice. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 18, 7:45*pm, Erik wrote:
Hi all,

Was talking to a neighbor this morning, and somehow came on the subject
of 1 quart plastic oil bottles... and we were trying to remember about
what year the change to them was made.

Does anyone here remember about when that was?

I'm thinking mid 80's or so...

Thanks in advance!

Erik

PS, BTW, I still have one of those old cans.. full and un-opened!

wikipedia say's '80s, about what I remember. Cardboard "cans" and
bottles were side by side for quite a while before the cans went away,
at least as onesies. My Dad had an "in" with the Conoco bulk
distributor, so we had cans for quite awhile. Think he saved about a
buck a case on that cheap crap. Once I had a car of my own, those
bottles saved a whole lot of mess. I think the main impetus was that
the cases for bottles were a lot smaller than the ones for the cans,
could get more on a truck that way. Plus about that time, there were
a lot of smaller FWD cars coming out with oil fill caps in pretty
tight spaces that you couldn't reach without a funnel or a loooong
spout. I can remember topping up the old 400 V8 from cans, punch a V
into the can top with my hook knife on one side, a small slit for the
vent on the other, stick a finger across the V and tip it towards the
opening in the valve cover. I usually got the contents in with only a
couple of drips, the fill hole was out front and was a couple of
inches across. Couldn't do that these days with just about any car on
the road.

Stan