Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Fascinating...the Tucker Torpedo Combat Car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTga-68fplQ

http://www.strategypage.com/military...30-105652.aspx

Etc etc..Id never head of it before and found it this morning while
browsing something else.

Absolutely fascinating in concept and application..particularly for
1939/40

Check it out.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Check out the movie "Tucker".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Saw that, many many years ago. The guy was very nearsighted, and also
totally creative. He invented the "geodesic dome" and a lot of other neat
stuff. The car he made looked like a hell of a lot of fun. Tear drop shaped,
with one steering wheel in the back.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Richard" wrote in message
m...
Check out the movie "Tucker".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
Saw that, many many years ago. The guy was very nearsighted, and also
totally creative. He invented the "geodesic dome" and a lot of other neat
stuff. The car he made looked like a hell of a lot of fun. Tear drop
shaped,
with one steering wheel in the back.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

You are thinking of Buckminster Fuller, not Preston Tucker.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OOps..... I do belive you're right. Nevermind!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
Saw that, many many years ago. The guy was very nearsighted, and also
totally creative. He invented the "geodesic dome" and a lot of other neat
stuff. The car he made looked like a hell of a lot of fun. Tear drop
shaped,
with one steering wheel in the back.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

You are thinking of Buckminster Fuller, not Preston Tucker.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 16:58:29 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Saw that, many many years ago. The guy was very nearsighted, and also
totally creative. He invented the "geodesic dome" and a lot of other neat
stuff. The car he made looked like a hell of a lot of fun. Tear drop shaped,
with one steering wheel in the back.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Funny that. I was always told that the geodesic dome was invented by
architect and engineer Buckminster Fuller ( 1895-1983) in the 1940s.

cheers,

Schweik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, clearly, one of us is mistaken.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Schweik" wrote in message

Funny that. I was always told that the geodesic dome was invented by
architect and engineer Buckminster Fuller ( 1895-1983) in the 1940s.

cheers,

Schweik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 21:58:16 -0500, the renowned "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Well, clearly, one of us is mistaken.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

According to the Wiki article, the Geodesic dome was invented by a
German (Walther Bauersfeld) in the 20's. The Zeiss planetarium in Jena
(former East Germany) ca. 1926 is built with such a dome. Jena is a
beautiful city, and well worht a visit btw- especially the Zeiss
museum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesic_dome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jena

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Well, clearly, one of us is mistaken.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

According to the Wiki article, the Geodesic dome was invented by a
German (Walther Bauersfeld) in the 20's. The Zeiss planetarium in Jena
(former East Germany) ca. 1926 is built with such a dome. Jena is a
beautiful city, and well worht a visit btw- especially the Zeiss
museum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesic_dome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jena

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Buckminster invented Buckey Balls - aka Carbon 80 - which has the
same shape...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Well, clearly, one of us is mistaken.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

According to the Wiki article, the Geodesic dome was invented by a
German (Walther Bauersfeld) in the 20's. The Zeiss planetarium in Jena
(former East Germany) ca. 1926 is built with such a dome. Jena is a
beautiful city, and well worht a visit btw- especially the Zeiss
museum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesic_dome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jena

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Buckminster invented Buckey Balls - aka Carbon 80 - which has the same
shape...

Sorry about that... clumsy fingers tonight...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fullerene

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 00:35:07 -0600, the renowned Richard
wrote:

Buckminster invented Buckey Balls - aka Carbon 80 - which has the
same shape...

No. This Brit probably has the strongest connection to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Kroto

It's named after Fuller because of the physical resemblance of the C60
molecules to his architectural designs.

This is his work- the former American pavilion at Montreal's Expo 67:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tr%C3%A9al.jpg

... from the era when countries such as the US and the USSR spent vast
sums to showcase their technology and prowess at world fairs.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
This is his work- the former American pavilion at Montreal's Expo 67:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tr%C3%A9al.jpg

.. from the era when countries such as the US and the USSR spent vast
sums to showcase their technology and prowess at world fairs.
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

The Soviet pavilion was a sick joke. They were extremely arrogant about
their superiority and blind to better stuff in other exhibits and local
stores. I had to wonder if the Soviet personnel were permitted to wander
around on their own or leave the island, lest they defect.

I learned to use chopsticks at the Japanese pavilion, saw the first small
Honda generator and had a truly horrible meal at the French restaurant.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 08:13:09 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
This is his work- the former American pavilion at Montreal's Expo 67:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tr%C3%A9al.jpg

.. from the era when countries such as the US and the USSR spent vast
sums to showcase their technology and prowess at world fairs.
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

The Soviet pavilion was a sick joke. They were extremely arrogant about
their superiority and blind to better stuff in other exhibits and local
stores. I had to wonder if the Soviet personnel were permitted to wander
around on their own or leave the island, lest they defect.

I learned to use chopsticks at the Japanese pavilion, saw the first small
Honda generator and had a truly horrible meal at the French restaurant.

jsw

Fond memories...I was 19 in '67, drank myself silly in Quebec,
vomitted in my sleeping bag and acquired a smell that stayed with me
for days. It helped when I was standing in line to get into the
exhibits but the French Canadian girls kept their distance.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I was 15 and with my family, but entirely by coincidence was in the
French Pavillion when Charles de Gaulle swept thru with his security
detail. This must have been shortly after his Free Quebec speech, and
we were apparently among the clueless minority. The crowd was divided,
with cheering separatists on one side and booing loyalists on the
other. It was obvious even to a 15 year old kid that the place was on
the verge of a riot.

--
Ned Simmons