Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT, or not. Leg Cramps?

I don't know if this is really off topic, but I was wondering if enough of
you guys have trouble with leg and/or foot cramps to make it worth putting
up a webpage about my solution.
This would be on-topic if you feel that standing in front of your lathe or
mill for hours at a time is a factor that contributes to those cramps.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/25/2012 6:48 PM, Pete S wrote:
I don't know if this is really off topic, but I was wondering if enough
of you guys have trouble with leg and/or foot cramps to make it worth
putting up a webpage about my solution.
This would be on-topic if you feel that standing in front of your lathe
or mill for hours at a time is a factor that contributes to those cramps.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

I don't know what your solution is, but mine is a quinine pill, and when
they are gone, half a glass of quinine water gives relief in less than 5
minutes.

Neither will prevent the cramp, but will work every time after one gets
going.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete S wrote:
I don't know if this is really off topic, but I was wondering if enough of you guys have trouble with leg and/or foot
cramps to make it worth putting up a webpage about my solution.
This would be on-topic if you feel that standing in front of your lathe or mill for hours at a time is a factor that
contributes to those cramps.

I'm interested for sure!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Pete S wrote:
I don't know if this is really off topic, but I was wondering if enough
of you guys have trouble with leg and/or foot
cramps to make it worth putting up a webpage about my solution.
This would be on-topic if you feel that standing in front of your lathe
or mill for hours at a time is a factor that
contributes to those cramps.

I'm interested for sure!

Go for it...

--I've had one foot surgery and pretty sure there's another knee surgery
that in the cards for fairly soon.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doc Doc is offline

Paul Drahn wrote in
:

On 1/25/2012 6:48 PM, Pete S wrote:
I don't know if this is really off topic, but I was wondering if
enough of you guys have trouble with leg and/or foot cramps to make
it worth putting up a webpage about my solution.
This would be on-topic if you feel that standing in front of your
lathe or mill for hours at a time is a factor that contributes to
those cramps.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

I don't know what your solution is, but mine is a quinine pill, and
when they are gone, half a glass of quinine water gives relief in less
than 5 minutes.

Neither will prevent the cramp, but will work every time after one
gets going.

Paul

Second that, works like a charm.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 25, 8:48*pm, "Pete S" wrote:
I don't know if this is really off topic, but I was wondering if enough of
you guys have trouble with leg and/or foot cramps to make it worth putting
up a webpage about my solution.
* This would be on-topic if you feel that standing in front of your lathe or
mill for hours at a time is a factor that contributes to those cramps.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

Looking forward to it.

Been having problems?

Leg cramping can have many causes..some of the more nasty ones are
heart disease and diabetes.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/25/2012 6:48 PM, Pete S wrote:
I don't know if this is really off topic, but I was wondering if enough
of you guys have trouble with leg and/or foot cramps to make it worth
putting up a webpage about my solution.
This would be on-topic if you feel that standing in front of your lathe
or mill for hours at a time is a factor that contributes to those cramps.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

Don't need no webpage.
Just state the solution and be done with it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:08:02 -0800, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 1/25/2012 6:48 PM, Pete S wrote:
I don't know if this is really off topic, but I was wondering if enough
of you guys have trouble with leg and/or foot cramps to make it worth
putting up a webpage about my solution.
This would be on-topic if you feel that standing in front of your lathe
or mill for hours at a time is a factor that contributes to those cramps.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

I don't know what your solution is, but mine is a quinine pill, and when
they are gone, half a glass of quinine water gives relief in less than 5
minutes.

Neither will prevent the cramp, but will work every time after one gets
going.

Paul

For me a glass of milk calms it down in a couple of minutes. Don't
know if it is calsium, lactose, or what - but it works.
Works for my wife too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 20:48:05 -0600, "Pete S"
wrote:

I don't know if this is really off topic, but I was wondering if enough of
you guys have trouble with leg and/or foot cramps to make it worth putting
up a webpage about my solution.
This would be on-topic if you feel that standing in front of your lathe or
mill for hours at a time is a factor that contributes to those cramps.

Fabbing info included so it's not OT.

Pete, do you stand on your toes, peering over the back of the lathe a
lot? That will cramp your toes, your arch muscle, and your calves.
I get that when I forget to center my feet when I'm on a ladder.

Myriad suggestions, since you didn't include what is causing the
problem or what you've done about it:

1) Add a tall stool or drafting chair, so you could sit while you
work. http://tinyurl.com/76d2bdw

2) Fab up and upholster a tubular frame and front pad so you can lean
your gut against that, relieving your feet and legs from extra stress,
while you are leaning over the lathe. Make flanged stubs to screw onto
the front of the lathe legs so you can just pull it straight out to
remove it, so you can get to the lathe when you need to.

3) Add an anti-fatigue mat under your feet. http://tinyurl.com/7g93qad

4) Videotape yourself while you work. See if you can spot ways you're
stressing your feet and lower legs when you work, then you'll know
what to correct for. It could be a difference in the way you stand at
the lathe. Try swapping forward feet. I preferred skateboarding with
my left foot forward but I surfed with the right foot forward. Your
task usually determines that, but if it is giving you problems, try it
the other way to see if it could work out.

Let us know what you find out.

--
Creativity can solve almost any problem. The creative act,
the defeat of habit by originality, overcomes everything.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Where does one purchase such pills? I have a friend who has leg cramps.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Paul Drahn" wrote in message

I don't know what your solution is, but mine is a quinine pill, and when
they are gone, half a glass of quinine water gives relief in less than 5
minutes.

Neither will prevent the cramp, but will work every time after one gets
going.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You drink a glass of milk, and it calms her down, too?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

For me a glass of milk calms it down in a couple of minutes. Don't
know if it is calsium, lactose, or what - but it works.
Works for my wife too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 17:59:21 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You drink a glass of milk, and it calms her down, too?

I only wish!!!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
.. .

For me a glass of milk calms it down in a couple of minutes. Don't
know if it is calsium, lactose, or what - but it works.
Works for my wife too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I haven't had leg cramps since I found out my legs were getting cold
at night. Now if the covers are too thin, I just put a blanket or
towel over my legs (no, not diabetic, yet). I'm 62, used to have
cramps at night a lot until I figured mine out about 10 years ago.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul wrote in message

I don't know what your solution is, but mine is a quinine pill, and when
they are gone, half a glass of quinine water gives relief in less than 5
minutes.

Neither will prevent the cramp, but will work every time after one gets
going.

Paul

You can't. These are left from many years ago. Some people took too
many, too often, and killed their liver.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Pete S" wrote:

I don't know if this is really off topic, but I was wondering if enough of
you guys have trouble with leg and/or foot cramps to make it worth putting
up a webpage about my solution.
This would be on-topic if you feel that standing in front of your lathe or
mill for hours at a time is a factor that contributes to those cramps.

Pete Stanaitis

I was starting to get them now and again too... then saw this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leg_cramps

Sodium wasn't the issue.. eat too much of that... however, in my case
eating a Banana a day (for the potassium) stopped them cold.

As always YMMV.

Erik