Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lawnmower box repair

Why metal? Can you get heavy plastic, and put it in with some liquid nails?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
Hi folks,

It's been a while since I visited this group. I have a couple of
questions. I have a large steel grassbox from a lawnmower, over 30"
wide, that I want to repair. There are some fatigue cracks in the box
from vibration, but the larger problem is rust holes in the bottom. I
don't have a MIG welder, so I want to repair it using stainless pop
rivets (for which I have the right tool).

Clearly the box has been repaired once before, and rusted through a
second time, but only in the bottom. Is it a dumb idea to think of
trying to repair the bottom with a sheet of 1 mm stainless, for
permanence? I have some cobalt drills that will make the holes, but
will SS sheet be so stiff that it'll be too hard to bend to shape
(right now, I don't have the stainless sheet). Also, is there any
advantage to using a thick backing washer with pop rivets, when it
comes to the vibration resistance of rivets used in sheet of this
thickness, or might it make things worse?

Best wishes,

Chris