Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Lawnmower Repair Question

I have a Craftsman 6.6 hp Eager 1 mower model number 917.377320

In the owners manual the model number for the engine is 143.976606

I can't find my owners manual online, but this owners manual has
basically the same engine.

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0806247.pdf

I need to replace the mounting flange gasket, because oil is blowing
out.

The gasket is numbered 69 on page 26.

Is the mounting flange basically like an oil pan on an automobile
engine? Are there any parts in there? The only thing I see that I need
to look out for are the 2 dowel pins (numbered 2) on page 26.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 22, 3:53*pm, Ron wrote:
I have a Craftsman 6.6 hp Eager 1 mower model number 917.377320

In the owners manual the model number for the engine is 143.976606

I can't find my owners manual online, but this owners manual has
basically the same engine.

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0806247.pdf

I need to replace the mounting flange gasket, because oil is blowing
out.

The gasket is numbered 69 on page 26.

Is the mounting flange basically like an oil pan on an automobile
engine? Are there any parts in there? The only thing I see that I need
to look out for are the 2 dowel pins (numbered 2) on page 26.

If you have crankcase oil pressure sufficient to blow oil out, you may
have more problems than a bad gasket. If you disassemble the engine,
check to be sure the mating surfaces where the new gasket would go are
perfectly flat and true.
On most engines, oil blowing out will be the first indication of a
problem like an eroded piston. Do a compression check before
committing to serious repair work. Goid uck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

If oil is blowing out, the crankcase breather is probably
stuck shut. Deal with that, first.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ron" wrote in message
I have a Craftsman 6.6 hp Eager 1 mower model number
917.377320

In the owners manual the model number for the engine is
143.976606

I can't find my owners manual online, but this owners manual
has
basically the same engine.

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0806247.pdf

I need to replace the mounting flange gasket, because oil is
blowing
out.

The gasket is numbered 69 on page 26.

Is the mounting flange basically like an oil pan on an
automobile
engine? Are there any parts in there? The only thing I see
that I need
to look out for are the 2 dowel pins (numbered 2) on page
26.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 22, 8:48*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
If oil is blowing out, the crankcase breather is probably
stuck shut. Deal with that, first.

I'll have to look for that and check it. Just looking at the engine, I
don't see it. Must be covered by something.

But the bottom line is, the mounting flange gasket is blown. I can
tilt the mower over on it's right side and oil will start to drip
out.

Do you know of a Usenet small engine repair group? I've searched and
can't find one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
If oil is blowing out, the crankcase breather is probably
stuck shut. Deal with that, first.

I'll have to look for that and check it. Just looking at the engine, I
don't see it. Must be covered by something.

But the bottom line is, the mounting flange gasket is blown. I can
tilt the mower over on it's right side and oil will start to drip
out.

Do you know of a Usenet small engine repair group? I've searched and
can't find one.

Ron, if you are laying the mower on its side to service underneath it
will pour oil out and become very difficult to start and will smoke
quite a bit when it does start. They are not made to be able to lay on
their side. I thought I had fixed a lot of mower stuff through the
years, but I've never heard of replacing a mounting flange gasket, but
all things are possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
If oil is blowing out, the crankcase breather is probably
stuck shut. Deal with that, first.

I'll have to look for that and check it. Just looking at the engine, I
don't see it. Must be covered by something.

But the bottom line is, the mounting flange gasket is blown. I can
tilt the mower over on it's right side and oil will start to drip
out.

Do you know of a Usenet small engine repair group? I've searched and
can't find one.

The breather is a small rectangle (1.5"X3" approx.) held by 2 bolts
and located on a side. Maybe 4 or 5" down from the cylinder head.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 7:48*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
If oil is blowing out, the crankcase breather is probably
stuck shut. Deal with that, first.

If I remember my basics the breather lets air-in...and little to do
with his problem!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
If oil is blowing out, the crankcase breather is probably
stuck shut. Deal with that, first.

If I remember my basics the breather lets air-in...and little to do
with his problem!

Not on small engines.

The breather is 6 and 7 on your ipb. Check that out too before you
order parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:
If oil is blowing out, the crankcase breather is probably
stuck shut. Deal with that, first.

I'll have to look for that and check it. Just looking at the engine, I
don't see it. Must be covered by something.

But the bottom line is, the mounting flange gasket is blown. I can
tilt the mower over on it's right side and oil will start to drip
out.

Do you know of a Usenet small engine repair group? I've searched and
can't find one.

Ron, if you are laying the mower on its side to service underneath it
will pour oil out and become very difficult to start and will smoke
quite a bit when it does start. *They are not made to be able to lay on
their side. *

Says who? If you can't turn them on their side, how do you
the routine blade sharpening? Put it on a lift?
The mowers I've had recently,
Honda and Craftsman allowed them to be put on their side. In
fact, that is also how you drain the oil out.

I thought I had fixed *a lot of mower stuff through the
years, but I've never heard of replacing a mounting flange gasket, but
all things are possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 8:21*am, "
wrote:

*wrote:
[...]

all things are possible.- Hide quoted text -

If you leave them on their side for a while the oil will manage to
make it's way into places it's not supposed to be. But you are right,
tipping it over for a while to take the blade off or work on it is
fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 05:21:48 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

*wrote:
If oil is blowing out, the crankcase breather is probably
stuck shut. Deal with that, first.

I'll have to look for that and check it. Just looking at the engine, I
don't see it. Must be covered by something.

But the bottom line is, the mounting flange gasket is blown. I can
tilt the mower over on it's right side and oil will start to drip
out.

Do you know of a Usenet small engine repair group? I've searched and
can't find one.

Ron, if you are laying the mower on its side to service underneath it
will pour oil out and become very difficult to start and will smoke
quite a bit when it does start. *They are not made to be able to lay on
their side. *

Says who? If you can't turn them on their side, how do you
the routine blade sharpening? Put it on a lift?

The manuals that I remember reading all say to 'lay on right side' or
'left side' -- or 'don't lay on side'.

But then I'll confess to not having owned a mower made after about
1985-- and not owned a new one since the early 70s.

The mowers I've had recently,
Honda and Craftsman allowed them to be put on their side. In
fact, that is also how you drain the oil out.

On my old mowers with breathers, I seem to recall that the oil plug
was on the opposite side from the breather.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

*wrote:
If oil is blowing out, the crankcase breather is probably
stuck shut. Deal with that, first.

I'll have to look for that and check it. Just looking at the engine, I
don't see it. Must be covered by something.

But the bottom line is, the mounting flange gasket is blown. I can
tilt the mower over on it's right side and oil will start to drip
out.

Do you know of a Usenet small engine repair group? I've searched and
can't find one.

Ron, if you are laying the mower on its side to service underneath it
will pour oil out and become very difficult to start and will smoke
quite a bit when it does start. *They are not made to be able to lay on
their side. *I thought I had fixed *a lot of mower stuff through the
years, but I've never heard of replacing a mounting flange gasket, but
all things are possible.

The mower is leaking oil from the mounting flange!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:
If oil is blowing out, the crankcase breather is probably
stuck shut. Deal with that, first.

I'll have to look for that and check it. Just looking at the engine, I
don't see it. Must be covered by something.

But the bottom line is, the mounting flange gasket is blown. I can
tilt the mower over on it's right side and oil will start to drip
out.

Do you know of a Usenet small engine repair group? I've searched and
can't find one.

The breather is a small rectangle (1.5"X3" approx.) held by 2 bolts
and located on a side. Maybe 4 or 5" down from the cylinder head.

OK....but I still need to replace the gasket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 10:35*am, Ron wrote:

OK....but I still need to replace the gasket.-

If you're sure it is the gasket and not the oil fill cap, just dis-
assemble change gasket, then re-assemble. Be aware that you will have
to line up the crankshaft and camshaft and alignment pins. Be careful
not to lose any parts and put them back in the correct position.

If it only leaks when you tip it over, I wouldn't worry about it too
much. Besides, how often do you tip it over on its side?

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 23, 6:51*pm, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:
On Sep 23, 10:35*am, Ron wrote:

OK....but I still need to replace the gasket.-

If you're sure it is the gasket and not the oil fill cap, just dis-
assemble change gasket, then re-assemble. Be aware that you will have
to line up the crankshaft and camshaft and alignment pins. Be careful
not to lose any parts and put them back in the correct position.

If it only leaks when you tip it over, I wouldn't worry about it too
much. Besides, how often do you tip it over on its side?

Hank

OK, here's the deal, while the mower is running it blows out oil from
the flange gasket. After I figured out what the problem was, I tilted
the mower over to see if oil would leak out of the gasket, and sure
enough it does.

Here is a pic I took today.

http://i52.tinypic.com/pomk2.jpg

Also, I found this (below) someone that had the same problem.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62301

Why some people find it so hard to believe that the gasket is leaking
is beyond me.

AFA, being careful not to lose any parts and put them back in the
correct position, well, that is the whole purpose of my post. To see
if someone knows for a fact if there are any parts in there.

"Is the mounting flange basically like an oil pan on an automobile
engine? Are there any parts in there? The only thing I see that I
need
to look out for are the 2 dowel pins"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That sounds like the bottom seal on the engine, where the crank exits
the block and the blade bolts on, is shot. The oil is getting flung up
where engine meets deck. Any gasket between engine and deck is just a
vibration damper so your hands don't get numb- it isn't a seal.

But then again, I'm no small engine mechanic, and break anvils on a
regular basis.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/23/2011 7:13 PM, Ron wrote:
On Sep 23, 6:51 pm, "Hustlin' wrote:
On Sep 23, 10:35 am, wrote:

[...]

Okay, now it makes more sense- the gasket ABOVE the flange. On my mower,
there is no separate flange. The block splits at a 45 degree angle, and
the flange is part of the lower casting.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 10:35*am, Ron wrote:

[...]

It is a little more complex than an automotive oil pan. While it is a
sump to hold oil, it also houses bearings/bushings/seal for the crank,
cam and such.

Look at it this way..... It is broken, you probbaly can't break it
much more, so why not try to fix it? You may learn a lot and the
satisfaction alone will make it worth the task. If all else fails, you
didn't lose much anyway. What you learn may help you on your next
project even if you fail to repair this one. GO FOR IT!

Hank ~~~~ tries to fix everything
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 23, 10:35*am, Ron wrote:

[...]

I don't lose much anyway? No, nothing but an engine that is in perfect
mechanical working condition. It simply has a blown gasket. It's not
like it threw a rod.

I do plan plan on fixing it. If I had a repair manual, I wouldn't even
be asking the question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 10:35 am, Ron wrote:
[...]

If it were my problem, I'd clean the surface around the leak really
good with something like carb cleaner and gunk it with high temp silicon
using a putty knife to force the silicon into the leaking area. Or I
might make sure the bolts holding the case together are tightened
properly and use JB weld over over the leaking area. Tecumseh is out of
business for a reason, you can buy a replacement engine cheaper than
the parts to fix the made in the USA engines. As you might find out,
it's not all that easy to slide the bottom end of the case off the
crankshaft if you change the gasket, you will have to clean the shaft to
like new which hard to do up against the bottom seal.
I'm thinking your engine is probably near the end of useful life.
But go for it and let us know how it turns out.