Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gypsy business scammers

"Ignoramus30685" wrote in message
My business was recently visited by suspicious people. There were
three guys in a truck, slightly dark skinned. I and my guy were near
the open overhead door.

They stopped by and asked if I am selling the building. I said
no. Then they handed me a business card and said that they were in a
roofing business. The card included a website URL, which, as I later
learned, was not even in the WHOIS database, so it was totally bogus.

They they saw stuff inside and asked what I do, I said selling
industrial equipment. Wow, they said, we need some equipment, "we have
CNC". Hm, I thought, roofers have CNC? I said no, right now I cannot
admit anyone. Then they asked if my truck was for sale and whether
they can rent space in my huge front parking lot.

At this point I was pretty aware that this is a suspicious situation,
they look like Gypsies, have a Gypsy accent, and act like Gypsies too,
trying to get the foot in the door, so I gently suggested that they
seek business elsewhere.

I was wondering if this is a unique experience or someone else has
seen that sort of thing.

http://foscam.us/foscam-fi8918w-wire...camera-11.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

(...)

http://foscam.us/foscam-fi8918w-wire...camera-11.html

Um. No.

I'm sure there are wireless ip cameras that work properly.
I ordered one of these. On power up, it did a slow pan
of my office and opened up an ip connection on my router.

I put a cardboard carton over it while it completed the
scan. It failed to respond to any commands.
Back in the box and back to the manufacturer it went.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

(...)

http://foscam.us/foscam-fi8918w-wire...camera-11.html

Um. No.

I'm sure there are wireless ip cameras that work properly.
I ordered one of these. On power up, it did a slow pan
of my office and opened up an ip connection on my router.

I put a cardboard carton over it while it completed the
scan. It failed to respond to any commands.
Back in the box and back to the manufacturer it went.

Interesting...my brother has one that's working perfectly...

--I'm still in the market though is anyone has other suggestions.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

(...)

Interesting...my brother has one that's working perfectly...

He got a good one.

--I'm still in the market though is anyone has other suggestions.

I want to see if Zoneminder is a good answer:
http://www.zoneminder.com/

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-16, Winston wrote:
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

(...)

Interesting...my brother has one that's working perfectly...

He got a good one.

--I'm still in the market though is anyone has other suggestions.

I want to see if Zoneminder is a good answer:
http://www.zoneminder.com/

--Winston

Most of those camera would not provide enough evidence to identify or
convict individuals, unless they walked very closely to it.

I have one, it works very well, but it has its limitations.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-16, Winston wrote:
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

(...)

Interesting...my brother has one that's working perfectly...

He got a good one.

--I'm still in the market though is anyone has other suggestions.

I want to see if Zoneminder is a good answer:
http://www.zoneminder.com/

--Winston

Most of those camera would not provide enough evidence to identify or
convict individuals, unless they walked very closely to it.

I have one, it works very well, but it has its limitations.

You one outside--to record images of the vehicle, complete with license
plate if possible...

--and another one that's inside...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

IMO, it's a huge mistake to have the camera emitting IR light, since it's a
dead giveaway as to where the/each camera is located.

IR illumination isn't a bad idea, it's just not a good idea to use something
that says "here's my camera".

I had a situation a while ago, where I confronted a guy that was lurking in
an alcove/alleyway on a friend's property. It was afternoon and there was
sufficient light to watch his activity, so with the recorder on, I went out
to the street to let him know he was being recorded.. his behavior was that
of a typical convict, but uneventful.
He came back the next day (roughly the same time) doing a quick walk-thru of
the space holding a camera out in front of his head, panning around for an
IR illuminator.
He wouldn't see the concealed camera I viewed him with, day or night,
because it has no IR emitter.
After interrupting a drug deal (anonymously from a safe location) and
chasing some kids away, there has been very little activity in that space..
when previously it had been a frequent stop for a lot of street-types.
The word gets around.

PIR detectors aren't visible in darkness, whereas IR can be seen with any
cheap digital camera, and probably even phone cams.
Using a PIR detector to turn on the IR illumination would be more practical,
but the detector(s) could also be used to alert the owner and turn on
conventional lighting.. the lit ceiling lights would let the thieves know
they've been detected, and may cause them to rush out early instead of
stealing or vandalizing more of your stuff.

Having the thieves identified or caught may seem like a cool (ego) aspect
like in the (not based in reality) movies, but deterring any/more break-ins
should be the ultimate goal.

Outdoor lighting is the most cost effective night time deterrent because
generally, a sneak thief's first priority is not to be seen.

Having a few IR illuminators turned on within the protected space could be a
worthwhile deterrent if they can be "seen" from outside, but may just
present a cat & mouse, adrenaline enhanced game-like challenge to prowlers.

--
WB

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:8Y2dnUdZFYabCI7SnZ2dnUVZ_rmdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...