Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Gypsy business scammers

IMO, it's a huge mistake to have the camera emitting IR light, since it's a
dead giveaway as to where the/each camera is located.

IR illumination isn't a bad idea, it's just not a good idea to use something
that says "here's my camera".

I had a situation a while ago, where I confronted a guy that was lurking in
an alcove/alleyway on a friend's property. It was afternoon and there was
sufficient light to watch his activity, so with the recorder on, I went out
to the street to let him know he was being recorded.. his behavior was that
of a typical convict, but uneventful.
He came back the next day (roughly the same time) doing a quick walk-thru of
the space holding a camera out in front of his head, panning around for an
IR illuminator.
He wouldn't see the concealed camera I viewed him with, day or night,
because it has no IR emitter.
After interrupting a drug deal (anonymously from a safe location) and
chasing some kids away, there has been very little activity in that space..
when previously it had been a frequent stop for a lot of street-types.
The word gets around.

PIR detectors aren't visible in darkness, whereas IR can be seen with any
cheap digital camera, and probably even phone cams.
Using a PIR detector to turn on the IR illumination would be more practical,
but the detector(s) could also be used to alert the owner and turn on
conventional lighting.. the lit ceiling lights would let the thieves know
they've been detected, and may cause them to rush out early instead of
stealing or vandalizing more of your stuff.

Having the thieves identified or caught may seem like a cool (ego) aspect
like in the (not based in reality) movies, but deterring any/more break-ins
should be the ultimate goal.

Outdoor lighting is the most cost effective night time deterrent because
generally, a sneak thief's first priority is not to be seen.

Having a few IR illuminators turned on within the protected space could be a
worthwhile deterrent if they can be "seen" from outside, but may just
present a cat & mouse, adrenaline enhanced game-like challenge to prowlers.

--
WB

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:8Y2dnUdZFYabCI7SnZ2dnUVZ_rmdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...