Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gypsy business scammers

"Ignoramus30685" wrote in message
My business was recently visited by suspicious people. There were
three guys in a truck, slightly dark skinned. I and my guy were near
the open overhead door.

They stopped by and asked if I am selling the building. I said
no. Then they handed me a business card and said that they were in a
roofing business. The card included a website URL, which, as I later
learned, was not even in the WHOIS database, so it was totally bogus.

They they saw stuff inside and asked what I do, I said selling
industrial equipment. Wow, they said, we need some equipment, "we have
CNC". Hm, I thought, roofers have CNC? I said no, right now I cannot
admit anyone. Then they asked if my truck was for sale and whether
they can rent space in my huge front parking lot.

At this point I was pretty aware that this is a suspicious situation,
they look like Gypsies, have a Gypsy accent, and act like Gypsies too,
trying to get the foot in the door, so I gently suggested that they
seek business elsewhere.

I was wondering if this is a unique experience or someone else has
seen that sort of thing.

thanks

Expect regular visits, they came around my place 35 years ago.
Claimed they were native americans looking for bits of scrap
metal for thier crafts business. Got a burgular alarm yet? They
were scoping you out for a hit.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-16, azotic wrote:

[...]

How did you figure them out when they visited?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-16, azotic wrote:

[...]

Thier story was inconsistant, guys in a pickup truck with a hot
tar tub in it are not in the crafts business.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-16, azotic wrote:

[...]

Yep, about same here.

Good catch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 18:20:24 -0800, "azotic" wrote:

At this point I was pretty aware that this is a suspicious situation,
they look like Gypsies, have a Gypsy accent, and act like Gypsies too,
trying to get the foot in the door, so I gently suggested that they
seek business elsewhere.

I was wondering if this is a unique experience or someone else has
seen that sort of thing.

thanks

Expect regular visits, they came around my place 35 years ago.
Claimed they were native americans looking for bits of scrap
metal for thier crafts business. Got a burgular alarm yet? They
were scoping you out for a hit.

Best Regards
Tom.
--

Indeed they were. If you see them again..write down the vehicle
description and the tag number along with the time and date. Each time

Next time they come by..take your digital camera and make a point of
taking photos of them AND their truck..and make sure they see you doing
it. Then put the photos on a server somewhere out of the shop.

If..if you then have a burglary..give the photos to the cops with an
explaination and times and dates of their visits

You may not get nailed if they know you have been keeping tabs and
photos of them.

Or you might.

Shrug

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-01-16, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Who knows. In both cases, I acted in a way that gave those guys enough
notice that I was very suspicious of them and not inviting. I also
gave them no chance to enter my place, they did not see much. So, they
may think twice about coming back.

These people are very experienced in judging people, kind of like am
experienced in "buying surplus equipment" situations. I think that
they got the idea that I was suspicious about them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 15, 11:02*pm, Ignoramus30685 ignoramus30...@NOSPAM.
30685.invalid wrote:

Who knows. In both cases, I acted in a way that gave those guys enough
notice that I was very suspicious of them and not inviting. I also
gave them no chance to enter my place, they did not see much. So, they
may think twice about coming back.

These people are very experienced in judging people, kind of like *am
experienced in "buying surplus equipment" situations. I think that
they got the idea that I was suspicious about them.

You have gotten a lot of good advice. The only thing I would add is
that you might consider a alarm system that calls your house or cell
phone. As I remember you live close to your building. So if the
alarm goes off you would have time to cruise by the building and call
the police if necessary. It is not like you have a lot of things that
they can load up very quickly.

I thought Radio Shack had what you need, but checking their web site
it seems they are available only by mail order.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 22:02:27 -0600, Ignoramus30685
wrote:

On 2012-01-16, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

I hope that suspicion included getting their license plate number,
just in case you need to refer someone to them, like the cops.

Good catches, Tom/Ig. Stay alert. The Bad Guys -are- out there.

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington