Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Yet another sheet metal cutting question(s)

I think I am going to get the DeWalt DW 890 shear. And an American made air
nibbler. The IR nibblers are about 4x to 6x the price, but I have heard of
too many of the Chinese ones dying an early death from work. Is there an
alternative to the higher priced IR, or should I just buy the good one and
cry once? I also looked at the Ketts, and they are a good chunk more than
DW or Milwaukee. My budget on this is about $350 for all three, and I am
going to get a rebuilt DW, as these will only see "normal" use.

Now, another question. The scissors are for long lines, right?

The nibbler is for nibbling 1/8" or so chunks for fine and finishing work,
right? Looks like they dress up edges and don't have much of a throat.

And just what are the ones that have two jaws about 3/4" long, one
stationary, the other going up and down? Would that be for long lines and
broader radiuses? And similar views about a not so deep throat.

I like to understand what I need, then I go shop price. I think I've
narrowed down the brands, now will shop for price, and buy according to
priority of need, the scissors first, nibbler second, and the whatzit third,
if I decide I even need it once I see what the other two can do.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 3, 12:42*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

The nibbler is for tighter curves than either of the the others. The
mechanism behind the cutting edge is narrower than the cutting edge so
it can cut through a piece wider than the "throat". Never used a
power nibbler, but they make, or used to a hand powered version.

CarlBoyd

CarlBoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Have you seen Beverly style shears yet? Also I'm thinking if you
can do template cutting you might want to rough out your shapes with a
plasma cutter, then use a bench mounted power nibbler to finish the job.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 04 Jan 2012 17:47:03 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Have you seen Beverly style shears yet? Also I'm thinking if you
can do template cutting you might want to rough out your shapes with a
plasma cutter, then use a bench mounted power nibbler to finish the job.

Just keep in mind..that like a torch..a plasma cutter leaves a Heat
Affected Zone in the area of the cut. It might be smaller than that of
the torch..but it IS indeed there. Sometimes its better to cut a fair
amount larger..and then use the Beverly to cut inside of that HAZ area.

Else you are trying to cut heat treated material

Gunner

Gunner Asch