Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Yet another sheet metal cutting question(s)

I think I am going to get the DeWalt DW 890 shear. And an American made air
nibbler. The IR nibblers are about 4x to 6x the price, but I have heard of
too many of the Chinese ones dying an early death from work. Is there an
alternative to the higher priced IR, or should I just buy the good one and
cry once? I also looked at the Ketts, and they are a good chunk more than
DW or Milwaukee. My budget on this is about $350 for all three, and I am
going to get a rebuilt DW, as these will only see "normal" use.

Now, another question. The scissors are for long lines, right?

The nibbler is for nibbling 1/8" or so chunks for fine and finishing work,
right? Looks like they dress up edges and don't have much of a throat.

And just what are the ones that have two jaws about 3/4" long, one
stationary, the other going up and down? Would that be for long lines and
broader radiuses? And similar views about a not so deep throat.

I like to understand what I need, then I go shop price. I think I've
narrowed down the brands, now will shop for price, and buy according to
priority of need, the scissors first, nibbler second, and the whatzit third,
if I decide I even need it once I see what the other two can do.

Thanks in advance.

Steve