Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting openings in sheet metal ducts.

I need to cut 2 rectangular openings in an existing HVAC supply and return
ducts.

How can I do this?

I've tried using a power jigsaw with a metal cutting blade -- big mess.

I see things like power shears when I do Google searches, but that seems
like a whole lot of money to spend to just cut the 2 openings.

Are there any hand tools or cutting chisels that will work for this?

Any other suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

BETA-32 wrote:
I need to cut 2 rectangular openings in an existing HVAC supply and return
ducts.

How can I do this?

I've tried using a power jigsaw with a metal cutting blade -- big mess.

I see things like power shears when I do Google searches, but that seems
like a whole lot of money to spend to just cut the 2 openings.

Are there any hand tools or cutting chisels that will work for this?

Any other suggestions?

sure, just get some GOOD tinsnips. then you just need to make a hole
big enough to get the snips in and it will cut surprisingly easily.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
BETA-32 wrote:
I need to cut 2 rectangular openings in an existing HVAC supply and
return ducts.

How can I do this?

I've tried using a power jigsaw with a metal cutting blade -- big mess.

I see things like power shears when I do Google searches, but that seems
like a whole lot of money to spend to just cut the 2 openings.

Are there any hand tools or cutting chisels that will work for this?

Any other suggestions?

sure, just get some GOOD tinsnips. then you just need to make a hole big
enough to get the snips in and it will cut surprisingly easily.

nate

Another vote for tin snips. Quiet, safe and accurate (once you get the hang
of it).

I ended up with good ones from a the Snap-On truck that used to stop by the
place I worked, when I was doing custom car audio installations a million
years ago. If nobody here offers any specific brand names for "good ones",
Snap-On is a safe bet. http://www.snap-on.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 8:41 pm, "BETA-32" wrote:
I need to cut 2 rectangular openings in an existing HVAC supply and return
ducts.

How can I do this?

I've tried using a power jigsaw with a metal cutting blade -- big mess.

I see things like power shears when I do Google searches, but that seems
like a whole lot of money to spend to just cut the 2 openings.

Are there any hand tools or cutting chisels that will work for this?

Any other suggestions?

Here's a DIY video on how it's done. Although this is for a circular
collar, its similiar for a rectangle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSN6L2KgDNA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the youtube.com video link.

I guess tin snips it is, since that's the unanimous view. I didn't even try
them because I thought that would never work, but obviously I was mistaken.

Thanks everyone.

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 21, 8:41 pm, "BETA-32" wrote:
I need to cut 2 rectangular openings in an existing HVAC supply and
return
ducts.

How can I do this?

I've tried using a power jigsaw with a metal cutting blade -- big mess.

I see things like power shears when I do Google searches, but that seems
like a whole lot of money to spend to just cut the 2 openings.

Are there any hand tools or cutting chisels that will work for this?

Any other suggestions?

Here's a DIY video on how it's done. Although this is for a circular
collar, its similiar for a rectangle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSN6L2KgDNA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BETA-32" wrote in message
Thanks for the youtube.com video link.

I guess tin snips it is, since that's the unanimous view. I didn't even
try them because I thought that would never work, but obviously I was
mistaken.

What? Why do you think they existed? For cutting pizza?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Make sure to get the ones with the right color handles.

There are three different types with a corresponding handle color (I don't
know what color goes with what). One that cuts in a clock wise motion one
that cuts in a counter clock wise direction and one that cut straight. Pick
the one that works the best based upon the circumstances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_snips

"BETA-32" wrote in message
Thanks for the youtube.com video link.

I guess tin snips it is, since that's the unanimous view. I didn't even
try them because I thought that would never work, but obviously I was
mistaken.

Thanks everyone.

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 21, 8:41 pm, "BETA-32" wrote:
I need to cut 2 rectangular openings in an existing HVAC supply and
return
ducts.

How can I do this?

I've tried using a power jigsaw with a metal cutting blade -- big mess.

I see things like power shears when I do Google searches, but that seems
like a whole lot of money to spend to just cut the 2 openings.

Are there any hand tools or cutting chisels that will work for this?

Any other suggestions?

Here's a DIY video on how it's done. Although this is for a circular
collar, its similiar for a rectangle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSN6L2KgDNA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BETA-32" wrote in message
Thanks for the youtube.com video link.

I guess tin snips it is, since that's the unanimous view. I didn't even
try them because I thought that would never work, but obviously I was
mistaken.

Thanks everyone.

Instead of tin snips ask for aviation snips. There are 3 types, one that
cuts to the right, one cuts left and one cuts stright. The handles are
usually color coded as to which way they cut.

Here is a place to look at them:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/1102s.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 21, 8:41 pm, "BETA-32" wrote:
I need to cut 2 rectangular openings in an existing HVAC supply and

return
ducts.

How can I do this?

I've tried using a power jigsaw with a metal cutting blade -- big mess.

I see things like power shears when I do Google searches, but that seems
like a whole lot of money to spend to just cut the 2 openings.

Are there any hand tools or cutting chisels that will work for this?

Any other suggestions?

Here's a DIY video on how it's done. Although this is for a circular
collar, its similiar for a rectangle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSN6L2KgDNA

I have always called that particular tool "Aviation Snips". I thought tin
snips were the ones that look like heavy duty scissors. In a pinch I have
used BX cutters on sheet metal and they worked well except the handles are
shorter. Consequently you get less leverage with them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
news

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 21, 8:41 pm, "BETA-32" wrote:
[...]

This could be an excellent opportunity for him to convince the wife that he
needs to spend $400 on a power tool, even if it's overkill.
http://www.internationaltool.com/boschnibblers.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:41:31 -0400, "BETA-32"
wrote:

I need to cut 2 rectangular openings in an existing HVAC supply and return
ducts.

How can I do this?

I've tried using a power jigsaw with a metal cutting blade -- big mess.

I see things like power shears when I do Google searches, but that seems
like a whole lot of money to spend to just cut the 2 openings.

Are there any hand tools or cutting chisels that will work for this?

Any other suggestions?

Get a one inch hole saw and drill the corners out with it. Use tin
snips to cut the straight lines and finish by squaring the corners
with the snips. I've done this several times.

The hole saw will be dull after a few holes so dont expect to use it
fir your fine furniture later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Had a humidifier installed a gazillion years ago.

the nice fellow had a metal tool with a V shape opening, he drilled a
hole in each corner, then put the v tool in and hammered it, cutting
the metal, FAST and easy, the rough edge was totally covered by the
humidifier, so appearance didnt matter

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"BETA-32" wrote in message
Thanks for the youtube.com video link.

I guess tin snips it is, since that's the unanimous view. I didn't even
try them because I thought that would never work, but obviously I was
mistaken.

What? Why do you think they existed? For cutting pizza?

For some reason, I was thinking that there would be no easy way to get tin
snips into the metal and cut along the line without mangling the metal.
Then I watched the video and -- DUH -- I realized that I could just make the
first entry cut in the middle of the area to be removed, and then approach
the actual cut line from an angle and do the cutting from there. I am not
usually this dense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BETA-32" wrote in message
. ..
I need to cut 2 rectangular openings in an existing HVAC supply and return
ducts.

How can I do this?

I've tried using a power jigsaw with a metal cutting blade -- big mess.

I see things like power shears when I do Google searches, but that seems
like a whole lot of money to spend to just cut the 2 openings.

Are there any hand tools or cutting chisels that will work for this?

Any other suggestions?

Hand tool to use is sometimes called Aviation snips, or Aircraft snips. Has
mechanical advantage to make cutting metal much easier. Don't get the long
jaws tool. Will easily handle most duct work steel.

May leave the metal rough and edges rough. Go to Automotive store, or
sears, and get auto body and fender work tools, and there are small hand
held anvils, called 'dolly blocks,' IIRC. A set of body work tools may out
of your price range.

Just went up to Sears, (which in this rare case the craftsman tool might be
OK.) they look like are starting the holiday sales with a set of aviation
snips for a reasonable price. If you go to Sears, stick with craftsman line
on this. Looks like cost will be reasonable come November. Most BORGs
carry aviation snips. I like brands: Wiss and Stanley. Have used Klein,
seemed OK.

Phil

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Phil-In-Mich." wrote:

"BETA-32" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Even airplane builders call 'em tin snips. One thing others haven't
suggested, that I would, is to cut about 3/16" short of the finished
line, then a second cut on the line. The snips tend to curl and distort
the metal. The thin strip will curl easily, which will leave the good
section undistorted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 7:41 pm, "BETA-32" wrote:
I need to cut 2 rectangular openings in an existing HVAC supply and return
ducts.

How can I do this?

I've tried using a power jigsaw with a metal cutting blade -- big mess.

I see things like power shears when I do Google searches, but that seems
like a whole lot of money to spend to just cut the 2 openings.

Are there any hand tools or cutting chisels that will work for this?

Any other suggestions?

I make a hole in the middle of the drawn out rectangle then cut an X
out to each corner, trim the end tips off the 4 "pie shaped"
triangles, then fold them over into the duct to create a reinforced
edge and crimp the fold with Robogrip pliers all along the way. The
doubled up edge gives more material for the sheet metal screws to grab
into when you are eventually screwing on the trim grate and makes the
hole edge very strong and rigid. I'm not a sheet metal worker, maybe
others know better, but the few holes I've made came out pretty good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BETA-32" wrote in
:

I need to cut 2 rectangular openings in an existing HVAC supply and
return ducts.

How can I do this?

I've tried using a power jigsaw with a metal cutting blade -- big
mess.

I see things like power shears when I do Google searches, but that
seems like a whole lot of money to spend to just cut the 2 openings.

Are there any hand tools or cutting chisels that will work for this?

Any other suggestions?

get a hand nibbler.
you need to drill a hole to start the cut,though.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

{snip}

Even airplane builders call 'em tin snips. One thing others haven't
suggested, that I would, is to cut about 3/16" short of the finished
line, then a second cut on the line. The snips tend to curl and distort
the metal. The thin strip will curl easily, which will leave the good
section undistorted.

Yea, you are right; but I went with the name used for the tool on the
internet. Tin snips searches on the internet were just a large scissors
type of metal cutter with no mechanical leverage. Like the old fashioned
metal cutters about 18 inches long. I wanted to make life for the OP easier
if he was to do a search at Amazon.com or Sears tools.

Phil

Posted to alt.home.repair

The HVAC crew that installed my new furnace last week did as others have
described here. Used a hammered cutter to make a simple slit in the sheet
metal, then used offset tin snips (they'll save your hands a lot of cuts) to
make the rectangular opening.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
HVAC guys use offset tin shears, which come with red or green handles.

--

Christopher A. Young
.

"BETA-32" wrote in message
. ..
I need to cut 2 rectangular openings in an existing HVAC supply and return
ducts.

How can I do this?

I've tried using a power jigsaw with a metal cutting blade -- big mess.

I see things like power shears when I do Google searches, but that seems
like a whole lot of money to spend to just cut the 2 openings.

Are there any hand tools or cutting chisels that will work for this?

Any other suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:01:18 -0500, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

My HVAC man uses tin snips. Novel concept eh? Take a screwdriver and
hammer, make a hole, snip away.

Visited the HVAC parts supplies shop recently. Saw a strange 12 inch
screwdriver like tool that has a sharpened V shaped notch just behind
the 1/2 inch blade. So I asked what for and how does one use this
tool?

The tool is used to cut openings, straight lined or curved, in HVAC
sheet metal ducts. Use the front of the blade to punch a slot hole
into the metal. Hook the notch over the sheet metal. Hammer on the
flat of the screwdrivers's shaft just behind the notched part. The
notch will cut cleanly along the path of the blows.

Ingeneous!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"wingnut" wrote in message

Why are you doing this?

To provide heat and AC to a basement. The basement currently has supply and
return ducts running across the ceiling, but there are no supply vents or
return vents.

I just did the tin snips routine today and it worked without too much
trouble. I also did what someone else here suggested and folded back a tab
of the sheet metal on each end to create a double thickness and make the
opening more rigid. That worked well too.