Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 09:05:29 -0600, Jim Yanik
wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in
ain.local:

In article ,
says...

On 12/28/2011 7:36 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

"Pete wrote in message
.com...

Frank wrote:

On 12/28/2011 3:05 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
"The Daring wrote in
message ...
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits
up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck
with their hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out.
The new stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

From what I read lately, HF tools are probably just as good.

Honestly, I haven't broken any Craftsman or HF hand tool that I
wasn't *seriously* abusing. I have seen Snap-On tools break under
comparable abuse, so I'm not sure there is any real advantage
there.

Craftsman sockets and especially especially the deep ones are
quite easily broken given even rather light usage these days...

These days? I broke two of them removing the oil drain plug on my
1980 Honda, before I finally got an impact socket for it (note--I
wasn't using an impact driver, just a breaker bar).

I have a coffee can about 1/2 full of them because it really
doesn't make much sense to get a replacement that in all
likelyhood is just going to crack and break like it's predecessor,
and this has been a problem ever since Danaher took over and then
promptly offshored much the line....

Every Craftsman hand tool I have is stamped "Made in USA", so if
Danaher has "offshored much of the line" they've done it in the
past year. Sears has other lins that are not Craftsman that are
made offshore, but Craftsman hand tools aren't.

The hand tools marked Sears are the overseas manufactured tools, I
noticed that years ago when I saw them in the stores and they looked
identical to the discount store imported tools.

So you're saying that the forged-in "made in USA" is a lie? Call the
FTC.

he's SAYING that not all Sears tools are "Craftsman" tools.
Only the Craftsman are advertised as "made in the USA".
The cheaper Sears tools(not "Craftsman") are likely NOT made in the USA.

Ah, they've gotten into some trouble over that in recent years,
although the older ones definitely were made in the USA:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...craftsman.html

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

Ah, they've gotten into some trouble over that in recent years,
although the older ones definitely were made in the USA:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...craftsman.html

Ed, I am shocked that anyone would claim Sears to be
anything but completely honest.

http://www.mindspring.com/~cquade/pics/ShopVac1.jpg

--Winston --Shocked, I tell you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 12:25:33 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

Ah, they've gotten into some trouble over that in recent years,
although the older ones definitely were made in the USA:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...craftsman.html

Ed, I am shocked that anyone would claim Sears to be
anything but completely honest.

http://www.mindspring.com/~cquade/pics/ShopVac1.jpg

--Winston --Shocked, I tell you.

Is that a real poncho or a Searz poncho?

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/29/2011 6:54 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 12:25:33 -0800,
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

Ah, they've gotten into some trouble over that in recent years,
although the older ones definitely were made in the USA:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...craftsman.html

Ed, I am shocked that anyone would claim Sears to be
anything but completely honest.

http://www.mindspring.com/~cquade/pics/ShopVac1.jpg

--Winston--Shocked, I tell you.

Is that a real poncho or a Searz poncho?

Who you jivin' with that cosmic debris?

David