Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 11:55:28 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Frank wrote:

On 12/28/2011 3:05 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

From what I read lately, HF tools are probably just as good.

Honestly, I haven't broken any Craftsman or HF hand tool that I wasn't
*seriously* abusing. I have seen Snap-On tools break under comparable
abuse, so I'm not sure there is any real advantage there.

You're damned lucky you weren't purchasing and working with their hand
tools around 1975-82. They got their literal pound of flesh and gallon
of blood from me.

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"The Daring wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

From what I read lately, HF tools are probably just as good.

Honestly, I haven't broken any Craftsman or HF hand tool that I wasn't
*seriously* abusing. I have seen Snap-On tools break under comparable
abuse, so I'm not sure there is any real advantage there.

You're damned lucky you weren't purchasing and working with their hand
tools around 1975-82. They got their literal pound of flesh and gallon
of blood from me.

I definitely was using Craftsman hand tools in that time frame and
didn't have any issues. I didn't start using HF hand tools until around
2004 when I first had an HF store within reach. Perhaps my HF luck
relates to inspecting the tools in person to determine if they are
decent or not. The ones I've used and used pretty hard have held up
fine. The only one I've broken was a small 3 jaw puller I was beating
the crap out of with an impact wrench.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Honestly, I haven't broken any Craftsman or HF hand tool that I wasn't
*seriously* abusing. I have seen Snap-On tools break under comparable
abuse, so I'm not sure there is any real advantage there.

You're damned lucky you weren't purchasing and working with their hand
tools around 1975-82. They got their literal pound of flesh and gallon
of blood from me.

Quit complaining. It helped lower your blood pressure. ;-)