Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hermes Cutter Grinder CG-4 2B Collets Oper Manual Engraver Cutting Bits

Would anyone happen to have a copy of the operating instructions for Hermes
CG-4 or CG-5?

I'm also interested in 2B collets, which according to info I've seen, are
unusual in the sense that the drawbar thread is internal instead of external
for a drawtube (3C etc).
I think these were available in sizes from about 1/8" to 1/2" round.

An engraver equipment website lists some new collets but doesn't include any
specs, so they may be the correct ones, at $65 each.

Thanks,
--
WB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 02:19:19 -0500, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

Would anyone happen to have a copy of the operating instructions for Hermes
CG-4 or CG-5?

I'm also interested in 2B collets, which according to info I've seen, are
unusual in the sense that the drawbar thread is internal instead of external
for a drawtube (3C etc).
I think these were available in sizes from about 1/8" to 1/2" round.

An engraver equipment website lists some new collets but doesn't include any
specs, so they may be the correct ones, at $65 each.

Thanks,

How's your German, Bill? This is a Deckel grinder manual. The New
Hermes appears to be at least conceptually similar. I also saw parts
manuals on the Deckel grinders, which may be helpful as well. I was
searching "Deckel SO pdf" and "Deckel SOE pdf" (no quotes).

http://www.dialog5.com/OtherDownload...gDeckelSOE.pdf

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, Ned.. my extent of the language is limited to guessing at movie
dialog, heh.
The Deckel illustrations reveal a lot about angles and cutter features..
schnittwinkel, yep.

I've done some reading in engraving forums, and found that the CG-4 differs
from the CG-5 in that the latter is capable of cutter tip radius geometry.

Some clear pics of the CG-5 model can be seen he
http://www.cedar--rapids.com/Industr...er-grinder.PHP

While both of these Hermes cutter grinders have limited features compared to
universal T&C grinders, I figured the CG-4 would be a good place to start..
since I'm not experienced with a T&C grinder, the CG-4's also portable and
fairly compact.

I have a radius fixture Holdridge Romer I model which uses C5 collets, so if
I needed radiused tips for other tooling I could probably figure something
out.

Of course, there's the option of *get the Chinese to do it*.. for new
carbide cutters at only about $2-3 per cutter, delivered.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/supermario-a....c0.m270.l1313

--
WB

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Would anyone happen to have a copy of the operating instructions for Hermes
CG-4 or CG-5?

I'm also interested in 2B collets, which according to info I've seen, are
unusual in the sense that the drawbar thread is internal instead of external
for a drawtube (3C etc).
I think these were available in sizes from about 1/8" to 1/2" round.

An engraver equipment website lists some new collets but doesn't include any
specs, so they may be the correct ones, at $65 each.

Thanks,

How's your German, Bill? This is a Deckel grinder manual. The New
Hermes appears to be at least conceptually similar. I also saw parts
manuals on the Deckel grinders, which may be helpful as well. I was
searching "Deckel SO pdf" and "Deckel SOE pdf" (no quotes).

http://www.dialog5.com/OtherDownload...gDeckelSOE.pdf

Anybody need any New Hermes gravers..Ive got 1 1/2 of them available for
really cheap.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hermes Cutter Grinder CG-4 Details Engraving 2B Collet Diamond Grinding Wheel

The diamond-faced grinding wheel is peculiar.. the non-flared, straight
cup-type body appears to be some synthetic material with no abrasive
material, and the face of cup appears to be a thin ring of abrasive-embedded
material bonded to the body.

The radial edge around the face is relieved with a small V-groove (may have
been original, or formed by a previous owner, don't know), and the thickness
at the outer edge of the abrasive ring on the face appears to be about .025"
thick.

The surface of the cutting face is very slightly conical, in that the center
extends outward more than the edge at the periphery of the body (maybe wear
from use or original).
Laying a straightedge across the cutting face of the wheel, it looks like a
lathe facing cut performed with a badly-fitting carriage where the cut isn't
perpendicular to the spindle centerline, so the center is high.

The Wheel dimensions are 2-1/4" dia. x 1-1/4" width x 1/2" hole, and the
thickness of the wheel at the hole is ~3/16".
The cutting face width is ~1/2", making the recess/counterbore 1-14" dia.
The existing wheel has no markings, but I found an online vendor selling a
similar diamond wheel (for $330!) and I looked around for the numbers which
were visible in their picture, which lead me to a diamond wheel supplier.

Continental Diamond Tool www.cdtusa.net appears to be the supplier for the
online seller. The wheel numbers are NCDT400R100BQ 1/16, which translated
means 30% Nickel coated diamond, 400 grit, 100 (high) concentration, resin
bond, and 1/16" depth of diamond.
The 1/16" thin diamond/resin "washer" is bonded to a plastic core which
makes up the body of the straight cupped wheel.
The Continental website has some very good technical info regarding diamond
and CBN wheels.

The wheel speed is reduced from the 10k RPM Hermes (Bodine type) 1/15 HP
universal motor.
The spindle pulley is ~1-21/32" and the motor pulley is ~1-5/32".

A slightly larger diameter grinding wheel could be utilized (but not with
the existing wheel guard), a new guard would be fairly easy to
fabricate/machine from heavy-wall tubing.
It appears that changing the wheel diameter will affect the cutter tip
indexing locations when using regular abrasive wheels for HSS, as it would
change the contact point of the cutter to the wheel's OD. I can't think of a
better way to describe this affect/change, but if a 2" dia wheel were used
(instead of 2.25") the cutter would contact the wheel at a point further
below the wheel axis centerline.

The small collets are the 2B style (overall length a little over 2"), which
is similar in
appearance to a miniature version of a 3C style, and the dimensions are
found in a Hardinge catalog listed as 2B Becker:
http://www.shophardinge.com/Categories.aspx?catID=126

The drawtube of the Hermes grinder has a 7/16-26 RH thread, which mates with
the 2B collet's internal thread. The thru-hole of the drawtube is a little
over 5/16" dia, so that establishes a limitation there for long workpieces.

The thin, flat drive belt is approx 18"x5/16.

There is a threaded hole at the top of the grinding wheel spindle housing
where a conical-point set screw is fitted, which positions/secures an
internal part (maybe just a bearing spacer), and although there doesn't seem
to be any oil in the closed spindle cavity, the screw may also be a
lubrication port.. I haven't seen the bearing types to see if they're
shielded or open.

The electrical cord is 2-conductor,so it may be worthwhile to change the
cord to a 3-wire earth grounded cord.
FWIW, dust residues from aluminum oxide wheels and HSS cutters are
conductive.
The On/Off switch is located on the back end of the motor case.

Some basic operating steps/tips are found he
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=50723

--
WB

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 05:36:58 -0500, Wild_Bill wrote:

[a bunch re Hermes grinder, with an axis less than Deckel]

Some basic operating steps/tips are found he
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=50723

Interesting quote from that thread: "I don't get the prices on
this or the Deckels....one school of thought is there is only
one Deckel out there that is constantly being put back on the
market as each successive user realizes its not a T&C Grinder
and isn't much use."

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill, If you fing one, I am also interested. I will pay 1/2 for a copy
Julian
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi, Julian.. I just sent the zipped PDF manual (~2.7MB) received from
Gravograph.

Their Tech Support provided the manual by email, which describes the
functions of all the knobs/levers/index stops, purposes of the protractor
markings and details for grinding tapered or parallel tip HSS and Carbide
engraving cutters.

--
WB