Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Vans - Ford vs Chevy

I may be in the market for a utility van (the traditional rectangular
style) and I am curious what opinions RCMers may have on Ford vs
Chevy. If any have a diesel powered, I would be very interested in
reading how it has been. (I'm also looking at the tall Sprinter
(diesel) and the smaller Ford Transit - looks like no diesel in the
US)

I figure they are pretty close so for the big fleet operators it's
more what you have used traditionally rather than one being
drastically better in price/performance/reliability?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/13/2011 4:49 PM, Pinstripe Sniper wrote:
I may be in the market for a utility van (the traditional rectangular
style) and I am curious what opinions RCMers may have on Ford vs
Chevy. If any have a diesel powered, I would be very interested in
reading how it has been. (I'm also looking at the tall Sprinter
(diesel) and the smaller Ford Transit - looks like no diesel in the
US)

I figure they are pretty close so for the big fleet operators it's
more what you have used traditionally rather than one being
drastically better in price/performance/reliability?

I have a Ford 350 1-ton 15 passenger van. It's the best vehicle I've
EVER owned! Maintenance has been less than budgeted, it's been
perfectly reliable and has never stranded me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 20:59:31 -0500, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

On 12/13/2011 4:49 PM, Pinstripe Sniper wrote:
I may be in the market for a utility van (the traditional rectangular
style) and I am curious what opinions RCMers may have on Ford vs
Chevy. If any have a diesel powered, I would be very interested in
reading how it has been. (I'm also looking at the tall Sprinter
(diesel) and the smaller Ford Transit - looks like no diesel in the
US)

I figure they are pretty close so for the big fleet operators it's
more what you have used traditionally rather than one being
drastically better in price/performance/reliability?

I have a Ford 350 1-ton 15 passenger van. It's the best vehicle I've
EVER owned! Maintenance has been less than budgeted, it's been
perfectly reliable and has never stranded me.

I have the same unit (93) in a delievery truck. It passes everything
but a gas station.

Very reliable unit

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 21:49:12 GMT, (Pinstripe
Sniper) wrote:

I may be in the market for a utility van (the traditional rectangular
style) and I am curious what opinions RCMers may have on Ford vs
Chevy. If any have a diesel powered, I would be very interested in
reading how it has been. (I'm also looking at the tall Sprinter
(diesel) and the smaller Ford Transit - looks like no diesel in the
US)

I figure they are pretty close so for the big fleet operators it's
more what you have used traditionally rather than one being
drastically better in price/performance/reliability?

Avoid last-generation Ford vans - the Triton motor loves to spit out
spark plugs, as they only have three or four threads in the hole.

And the guy who came out to repair the #4 hole on the company van had
to do it all by Braille, with a custom right angle drill guide rig,
and home-built threader and insert installer tools that would clear
the header over the engine. Something I would NEVER try without doing
a bunch on a conventional truck first where I could see what I was
doing.

And the Twin I-Beam on the E250 chews front tires like a bandit -
they've known the geometry is horrid since they designed it in 1965,
but they just keep on using it.

All conventional vans are horrid for access to the engine, but that's
par for the course. Go kick the tires on all of them, and take time
looking at the service accessibility on anything you are considering.
Access to the spark plugs, filters, oil drain and dipstick, master
cylinder, etc.

You don't want to have to take the whole front end apart to get to
something - this is why I like a conventional truck with a box on the
back, the engine compartment access is SO much better.

Or you have to start designing your own custom repair tools - Want to
buy a AC Compressor Clutch Puller that does it in situ? Saves you
taking the front end out just to get the AC to work again - damn thing
is mounted on the bottom...

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 07:21:55 -0500,
wrote:

[...]

Ive an '89 E350 thats been very reliable..but as Karl says....passes
everything but a gas station 341 Cleveland, 15mpg at 55 mph...10mpg at
65

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Is that right, gummy? How can that be? First, there never was a 341
cubic inch Cleveland engine - in fact, Ford never built an engine with
that displacement. Second, gummy, the Cleveland engine line was
discontinued in 1985. How did you buy a 1989 model year van with a
Cleveland engine? Do you mean to say you put an older engine into a
newer model year van?

I don't recall seeing the ****ty rustmobile when I drove by your shack a
few weeks back - what color was it ("was" being the operative word.)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

sigh..correction...351

Gunner off to LA

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Don't you want to correct the name of the engine family, too, you bitchy
little douchebag?

Gunner off to LA

It's a big place - 800+ square miles.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Pinstripe Sniper" wrote in message
I may be in the market for a utility van (the traditional rectangular
style) and I am curious what opinions RCMers may have on Ford vs
Chevy. If any have a diesel powered, I would be very interested in
reading how it has been. (I'm also looking at the tall Sprinter
(diesel) and the smaller Ford Transit - looks like no diesel in the
US)

I figure they are pretty close so for the big fleet operators it's
more what you have used traditionally rather than one being
drastically better in price/performance/reliability?

I have had really good luck with Chevies since 2001 when I bought my first
new truck, however the last "new" truck I bought was a 2008 1500 (I've got
an '03 and an 07 2500 too). That 08 really disappointed me. It ran great
and had really good 4wd, but the sheet metal all over was paper thin. You
drop a screw driver getting it out of the work cap, and you dented the
truck. Not kidding. I opened the door once and bumped the side of a house
where I had to park close, and it folded the edge of the door over. I can't
tell you how it help up otherwise since I rolled it with only 7000 miles on
it when a wild burrow ran out in front of us, but I can say from the look of
the cab if we hadn't had a work cap on the truck it would have totally
collapsed.

My other Chevies have all been excellent, but the newest one in the stable
right now is a 2007.

Since 96 when GM switched to body on frame for the vans they have been
much better.
If you're planning on a Ford you will want to buy new NOW. They are
shutting down the E serier van next year. They are replacing it with a
new design. The Sprinter is OK in the larger versions. Don't buy the
early units though. They had a LOT of problems with the front hubs/brakes.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 17:19:44 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

Thin sheet metal due to G'ment MPG guide lines, expect them to make it
even thinner in the future.

I'm a GM guy. I vote for Chevy. My buddy works for a company that's
1/2 Ford and 1/2 Chevy trucks. Tells me the Fords are known for
wearing out ball joints and breaking springs. This is on vans
converted to bucket trucks.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've owned a lot of trucks over the years. My first truck was an 1976 F150
heavy half with a 3/4 ton rear axle and a 360. It would haul ass upto about
95 MPH, and then slowly creep up on 110. Not fast, but hey I was a kid and
I needed to know. LOL. It was a good truck in its way. I towed everything
with it, and the limitation was never power. I towed 40' mobiles homes with
it as well as 24' dual I/O engine boats. Whatever I needed to. A couple
loads I had to drive at 25MPH due to front end float without a stabilizer
hitch, and some of the heaviest loads I had to drop down to 60 climbing
mountains because the temperature would start to climb, but it did every
thing I asked it to do. I beat the crap out of that truck, and yes I worked
on it all the time. It had a wrist pin slapping when I bought it, but I
just did a major overhaul myself, and it was good to go. The only problem,
I ever had that I couldn't figure out was a shifting problem. My dad gave
me the answer. With a couple hundred thousand miles on it the nylon riders
on the shifting forks had worn out. I was able to fix that one through the
floor of the truck. Took me longer to put the floor liner back in than
anything.

I've owned a bunch of Fords all bought used, and a bunch of Chevies, some
used and some new. My favorite truck of all times I ever had is one I have
right now. The 2007 4wd Crew 2500HD Duramax/Allison. Its gets about 16MPG
which is amazing for a truck that size with 4wd, and it has enough power
to... well I don't know. LOL. It hasn't failed to pull anything I asked
it to if it can get traction (which it does pretty darn good with auto
locking front and rear differentials) including other trucks buried to the
axles just off the side of the road. Hauling heavy loads in the hills
shifting to manual and using the paddle shift switch on it is excellent,
although tow haul mode works on all but the heaviest loads. About the
heaviest I tow regularly is a utility trailer with two scissors lifts at
about 8000 pounds total. On the highway automatic/tow haul mode is fine. I
only like to shift to manual and drive with the tach in the steepest hill
country. Being able to run in a lower gear keeps the oil pressure up higher
and the temperature down when climbing those looooong grades on hot summer
days in the southwest.

My second favorite truck was a 1965 F250 with a 352 industrial and the cast
iron transmission all the race car guys wanted. I was offered more for
either the rear axle or the transmission out of that truck than I paid for
the whole truck. It had a utility body and it wasn't fast, but man it could
haul loads. I pulled motor homes with that one too. It didn't even break a
sweat. I could top Telegraph Pass with 8000 pounds behind it and still be
doing 65. When I sold it I made sure it went to a guy who needed a work
truck. Not somebody who was going to scrap it for the transmission and the
rear axle. That guy is still driving it. I see it around town once in a
while.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Why would I correct the name of the engine..when thats exactly what it
is?

http://home.comcast.net/~jelerath/mu.../specs-fr.html

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It's not. Your rust-bucket is an 89, but the Cleveland engine was
discontinued in 85.

If you have a 351, it's a Windsor, not a Cleveland. More likely, your
rust-bucket has some ****ty 6 cylinder engine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Actually the "C" or "Cleveland" engine was only built from 1969 to
1974, when it become the "M" or "Modified". which was used in light
trucks from 1977 to 1982.

A V8 Ford van in 1989 would be a 351 Windsor, or more likely, a 460
(AKA 385 series big block)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If it IS a 351C it has been replaced. More likely a 460.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Here is my "bucket of rust"

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnera...eat=directlink

All I know is its a 351 and was made in 1989, and has less than 14,000
actual miles on it. Fourteen Thousand miles.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Best as I can recall..the sticker on the inside of the door frame says
its a 351 engine. Ill take a picture of the sticker this week and post
it.

The van has less than 14,000 miles on it..so the engine probably wasnt
changed from whatever the factory docs say it was.

All the paper labels, is still on the hoses, drive line and so forth and
the company I got it from had documented it fully. When I bought it..it
had 9,835.1 miles on it.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Nice truck, Gunner. And definitely NOT a 351 Windsor.(it has
integrated timing cover, which the W does not have - according to the
picture. A picture of the rocker cover would clear it up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ill check it again next week when I go back down. The tags expired in in
Febuary of 2009..about 2 weeks after my heart surgery..and after the
stroke..I completely forgot about owning the critter. Its been parked at
a friends machine shop in Chino California and a year or so ago I went
in to see him and he asked if I would move it to another part of his
yard..and I asked him..."what van?"...he took me out and showed me..and
it was like having a curtain pulled aside in my memory...Blagh!!!

California wants $285 a year for commercial tags for this van..and
penalties for expired plates. I went into DMV and asked em about getting
new tags on it..and they told me the tags and penalties would be
$1500...which floored me. I asked em huhhhh??? and they went into the
back room and twiddled the papers a bit more..and came out and told me
(September) that if I brought in $448..they would put new tags on it.

Since Ive got about 2 months till they expire again..I figure its gonna
cost me about $700 to get tags back on it. Which simply isnt in the
cards at the moment. Now California dropped registration costs at the
last election...so I dont know what they actually will be now...but its
still not going to be cheap.

1 ton, commercial vehicles in California..are expensive. My 2001 Ranger
is only $100 a year...$97 or so actually and its 20 yrs newer.

I really need to get the old girl home. Shrug..I sold 2 sets (passenger
wall) of the Adrian shelves to a buddy for $200 and have only been paid
$100 so far. Shrug

I probably ought to sell it..but it cant be worth a hell of a lot of
money being that old, despite being in minty condition (except for the
dash..radio section), so having a spare vehicle on hand..shrug.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 03:02:37 -0500, "Steve W."

Here is my "bucket of rust"

https://picasaweb.google.com/gunnera...eat=directlink

All I know is its a 351 and was made in 1989, and has less than 14,000
actual miles on it. Fourteen Thousand miles.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Nice truck, Gunner. And definitely NOT a 351 Windsor.(it has
integrated timing cover, which the W does not have - according to the
picture. A picture of the rocker cover would clear it up.

That is a 5.8/351 Windsor. Cleveland's have a vertical water outlet cast
into the block and a dry manifold. The W engines run the coolant through
the manifold and have a horizontal outlet coming out of the manifold to
the left of the distributor.

BUT the name really doesn't mean much, Why? Because the W engine was
actually built in the Cleveland plant after 1969!

Daayamm! Your good ..damned good , after figuring all that out with one
poor picture!!

Kudos and Bravo!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch