Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Servo motors & Gearboxes

Where do you get your servo motors and gearboxes? I'm working on a
contract that was _supposed_ to be just circuit design, but the customer
has asked me to help with picking out motors.

I'm looking at Anaheim Automation (which is, I assume, a reseller for
cheap Chinese stuff) and Teknic (whose prices are amazingly close, and
whom I've brushed up against in other contracts, and seen them highly
rated). I'd be very happy to find more, particularly if the company
actually makes an effort to control cogging and other parasitic torques
down.

I'm looking for brushless motors and right-angle gearboxes with dual
output shafts that are pretty efficient (i.e. no worm gears!) and can
take some side loading.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 12, 1:04*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
Where do you get your servo motors and gearboxes? *I'm working on a
contract that was _supposed_ to be just circuit design, but the customer
has asked me to help with picking out motors.

I'm looking at Anaheim Automation (which is, I assume, a reseller for
cheap Chinese stuff) and Teknic (whose prices are amazingly close, and
whom I've brushed up against in other contracts, and seen them highly
rated). *I'd be very happy to find more, particularly if the company
actually makes an effort to control cogging and other parasitic torques
down.

I'm looking for brushless motors and right-angle gearboxes with dual
output shafts that are pretty efficient (i.e. no worm gears!) and can
take some side loading.

Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Softwarehttp://www.wescottdesign.com

Looked at these for a project but never used them.

http://www.baldor.com/

If cogging is real important one might try a 3 phase induction motor
and a motor controller. We have project that uses this aproach will
good results. It wont be snappy but it will be smooth

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I get them on ebay

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I get them on ebay

On 2011-12-12, Tim Wescott wrote:
Where do you get your servo motors and gearboxes? I'm working on a
contract that was _supposed_ to be just circuit design, but the
customer has asked me to help with picking out motors.

I'm looking at Anaheim Automation (which is, I assume, a reseller for
cheap Chinese stuff) and Teknic (whose prices are amazingly close, and
whom I've brushed up against in other contracts, and seen them highly
rated). I'd be very happy to find more, particularly if the company
actually makes an effort to control cogging and other parasitic torques
down.

I'm looking for brushless motors and right-angle gearboxes with dual
output shafts that are pretty efficient (i.e. no worm gears!) and can
take some side loading.

I'm looking for suppliers for OEM.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:36:57 -0800 (PST), toolbreaker
wrote:

[...]

This is what I use professionally

http://www.glentek.com/glentek/Index.aspx

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

toolbreaker wrote:

If cogging is real important one might try a 3 phase induction motor
and a motor controller. We have project that uses this aproach will
good results. It wont be snappy but it will be smooth

Actually, typical induction motors tend to cog a fair amount if run
at very low speeds, as the induced rotor poles slip from one set
of rotor bars to the next. There are special motors built for servo
use that have many much thinner shorting bars, and put a helical twist
to them.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
Where do you get your servo motors and gearboxes? I'm working on a
contract that was _supposed_ to be just circuit design, but the customer
has asked me to help with picking out motors.

I'm looking at Anaheim Automation (which is, I assume, a reseller for
cheap Chinese stuff) and Teknic (whose prices are amazingly close, and
whom I've brushed up against in other contracts, and seen them highly
rated). I'd be very happy to find more, particularly if the company
actually makes an effort to control cogging and other parasitic torques
down.

I'm looking for brushless motors and right-angle gearboxes with dual
output shafts that are pretty efficient (i.e. no worm gears!) and can
take some side loading.

you might try Servo Systems in NJ or Minarik (they're all over).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 12, 10:13*pm, Jon Elson wrote:
toolbreaker wrote:

If cogging is real important one might try a 3 phase induction motor
and a motor controller. * We have *project that uses this aproach will
good results. *It wont be snappy but it will be smooth

Actually, typical induction motors tend to cog a fair amount if run
at very low speeds, as the induced rotor poles slip from one set
of rotor bars to the next. *There are special motors built for servo
use that have many much thinner shorting bars, and put a helical twist
to them.

Jon

Thanks , I learn somthing every day