Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can a skid steer be used to level a gravel road

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:30:01 -0600, Ignoramus27667
wrote:

I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it
rains, and the water enters the building from the side.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...-8975.jpg.html

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks

Igor,
I don't know about the machine in question but I do know that it takes
a lot of learning to operate a machine like that. Several years ago I
bought a Case Consrtuction King backhoe. It has a digging depth of 14
feet and a loader on the other end. I bought it to install my septic
system. The ditches needed to be flat and level within 1 inch over the
3 by 50 foot size of each ditch. Getting the flat and level part was
very hard to judge when I started the first ditch. After getting some
good advice from a real backhoe and dozer operator I was able to make
faster time but I still had to constantly check my work. I can't count
how many times I climbed on and off that machine digging those
ditches. So I'm sure you could probably develop the skill to opertate
a proper machine but the time involved for a novice, along with the
weather right now, might mean the road doesn't get fixed until the
rain stops. I bought my machine mostly because there were no reputable
septic installers that could install my system in the time frame I
needed. They were all booked out months. Now I don't regret buying the
thing because it still gets lots of use by myself and my neighbors and
it is lots of fun to operate.
Eric