Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Can a skid steer be used to level a gravel road

I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it
rains, and the water enters the building from the side.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...-8975.jpg.html

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Ignoramus27667 wrote:

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Depends on the skill of the operator. I've had a good Bobcat guy do a couple of
very long mountain driveways with roadbase and they turned out very well. If you
were thinking you could do the work yourself, I'd be a little concerned.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-01, Robert Neville wrote:
Ignoramus27667 wrote:

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Depends on the skill of the operator. I've had a good Bobcat guy do
a couple of very long mountain driveways with roadbase and they
turned out very well. If you were thinking you could do the work
yourself, I'd be a little concerned.

I have never operated a skid steer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Ignoramus27667" wrote in message

I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it
rains, and the water enters the building from the side.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...-8975.jpg.html

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks

Call for a truck or three of gravel and spread it out.

Done.

Quickly.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 21:30:01 -0600, Ignoramus27667
wrote:

I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it
rains, and the water enters the building from the side.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...-8975.jpg.html

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks

Sorry, I odn't know, but what's that blue thing? What goes down and
what goes up?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-01, Robert Neville wrote:
Ignoramus27667 wrote:

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Depends on the skill of the operator. I've had a good Bobcat guy do
a couple of very long mountain driveways with roadbase and they
turned out very well. If you were thinking you could do the work
yourself, I'd be a little concerned.

I have never operated a skid steer.

Were you intending to use said skid steer, or do you have an operator in
mind? If it's you, I'd advise against it. You'll dig it up really good.
Worse than now. If it is another operator, it all depends on that operator.
I think if you do get it level, you will have the same puddling problem.
Bring in fill.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...m/Enterprise-D...

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks

With a good operator and a road that only needs regraveling? Yes. A
road in your condition with big potholes? No. What your road needs
is something to first loosen what is there down to the bottom of the
potholes, then regrade and add more gravel if needed.

If you spread more gravel over the current condition, your potholes
will be back in short order.

Harry K
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ignoramus27667 wrote:

I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it
rains, and the water enters the building from the side.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...ise-Dust-Colle
ction-System-8975.jpg.html

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks

Depends on operator skill. Which probably means that if you have to ask,
have fun cleaning up after yourself (experience at being the unskilled
operator on some different machinery - where everybody starts
sometime...) Exactly how hard it is also depends on things like if the
blade is 6-way or only 4-way, and whether you happen to have a handy and
expensive rotary rake attachment (which can nearly eliminate the need
for hand raking I'll mention below.)

It's pretty much exactly not what you want in a road grader (blade
sticking out front of a short track, not supported between wheels on
long frame.) So you are fighting the normal tendency of the machine to
get the work done. I've had a guy use one to pretty good effect on road
work - but that's what he does a good part of the day, most days. You
need a good eye or a lot of fiddling with survey equipment to pick the
right high spots and how far to cut them - a grader helps you do that, a
skid-steer leaves it all up to your ability to know where the blade is
even as the machine tips this way and that.

It's a good idea to have and know how to use a manual rock rake, and to
know at what point you are better off fixing things with it, than to try
to get things all the way done with heavy equipment, when it's the wrong
heavy equipment (but presumably what you either happen to own or are
thinking of buying...) - I've seen people who should know better spend 4
hours dragging a york rake around trying (and failing) to fix things an
hour of intelligent hand raking would have fixed.

If you don't already own the skid-steer, that one (looking at the scale)
would be better attacked (if allergic to having someone with a grader
and vibratory roller [I wish the town road crew used one of those, but
they don't] fix it for you) with a rock rake, shovel, wheelbarrow, and
pick (to break up the hard stuff for shoveling and/or raking from the
high points.) Then drive your truck over it a lot, or hire someone with
a roller, preferably a vibratory, which packs the base much better than
a plain roller.

Even if you don't intend to dig much, might be a good idea to call
dig-safe before you get started, lest there be any sketchily buried
wires/cables out there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2011 7:30 PM, Ignoramus27667 wrote:
I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it
rains, and the water enters the building from the side.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...-8975.jpg.html

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks

I think you should try to smooth it a bit using the bottom of the bucket
and dragging it backward. That way you will not dig into the hard base,
but fill in the low spots. You can also use that method to move the
gravel from the building side of the road back into the holes with water.

A pro can use the scoop blade and remove the hard humps in the road and
make it as smooth as the parking lot in the background, but I can't and
neither can you. So try the back pull method and see how that goes.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 3:30*am, Ignoramus27667 ignoramus27...@NOSPAM.
27667.invalid wrote:
I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it
rains, and the water enters the building from the side.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...m/Enterprise-D...

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks

Grading/leveling is one of the hardest things to do on any 'dozer/
similar device. It's easy to make one hell of a mess.
It may well be that there is insufficient base under the road and it
is getting pushed onto the subsoil.
If this is so, if you try to grade it, you will make things a whole
lot worse.

You need to get out there with a steel bar and sledge hammer when the
weather has been wet fora while and there are puddles and bang it into
the road through a puddle.
If the ground is soft under the road, you need more aggregate, pushing
it round won't help.
You should then dig the puddles out and fill them with rocks and more
gravel on top.

It's a lot of work/expense but gravel roads need constant maintenance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Ignoramus27667 wrote:

I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it
rains, and the water enters the building from the side.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...-8975.jpg.html

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks

As others have said, it's not the ideal machine for road grading, but it
can do the job it you know how to run it. That said, a few years back I
resurfaced a deteriorated ~100' gravel driveway using a regular wheeled
S175 Bobcat. The driveway was solid enough, but it was rutted and had
some large rocks poking up where the gravel had packed down around them.

I started by breaking up the big rocks, or at least the upper problem
part of them using a hydraulic breaker on the Bobcat which worked
wonderfully. After that I had a load of 3/4" gravel delivered and
roughly distributed by the dump truck. After distributing the gravel
around a bit better using the Bobcat bucket normally, I leveled the
gravel by back bladeing with the bucket, pulling out the high spots as I
moved back. This requires a lot of paying attention and manipulating the
bucket height as you move since the machine tilts on the uneven surface
and you have to compensate for that.

It took me about 15 minutes or so to get the hang of that bucket
manipulation and the driveway still looks good today, so depending on
your skill level with the machine, it's not an impossible project. I'll
note that I did not do anything to disturb the well compacted base
beyond decapitating those few big rocks. I didn't have any drainage
issues, the driveway had a modest slope in the proper direction anyway.
You will need to more carefully look at the slope and where you can
drain water to. It may be a case where you really need to install some
drain pipe, even the basic filter fabric wrapped 4" flex stuff in order
to collect water heading towards the building and move it to a proper
drain area.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it
rains, and the water enters the building from the side.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...-8975.jpg.html

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks

Yes it can.

Now the big question is....do you have the skill to use it?

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 11/30/2011 10:22 PM, Steve B wrote:
id wrote in message

I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it
rains, and the water enters the building from the side.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...-8975.jpg.html

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks

Call for a truck or three of gravel and spread it out.

Done.

Quickly.

Steve

NO This is probably why he is having the problem. If you just raise
the exterior grade without making provision for drainage you are just
compounding the problem. I would imagine that the building has weep
holes one or two bricks below finish floor. This becomes the highest
possible point for exterior grade - everything else has to be below that.

Looking at the picture, the first thing I would do would be to clean out
and kill all the vegetation along the exterior wall. Dig down and
verify existence of weep holes. Find the finish floor elevation and
establish it somewhere on the outside so you can shoot grade in relation
to finish floor. 30 minutes with a builder's level and driving some
grade pins should determine where to send the water. I would almost
venture to say that you may be removing some material rather than
bringing any more in.

Ig, the machine is capable and would make a great outdoor fork lift,
power broom, etc. The grading results would be VERY dependent on the
operator.

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
ATP ATP is offline

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Ignoramus27667 wrote:

[...]

When you need the weight of the machine you have to do it that way, but on
final grading you can use "float mode". When you push the height control
pedal all the way down it should click in and allow the bucket to float up
and down for back grading. Hit it again and it will release.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
ATP ATP is offline

"Ignoramus27667" wrote in message

I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it
rains, and the water enters the building from the side.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...-8975.jpg.html

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks

Is it actually all gravel, or is it mixed with asphalt binder? You can grade
gravel with a skid steer, but bringing more gravel in and spreading it would
probably give you a better result. If you disturb the material that's there
now it will take a while for it to pack back down and you may see more
rut's, etc..
Also, an appropiate mix of gravel and fines will pack down pretty well, all
one size will not compact.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-01, Robert wrote:
wrote:

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Depends on the skill of the operator. I've had a good Bobcat guy do
a couple of very long mountain driveways with roadbase and they
turned out very well. If you were thinking you could do the work
yourself, I'd be a little concerned.

I have never operated a skid steer.

I agree with Robert Neville, the machine is capable, but only with a
qualified operator. Skid steers are very back heavy to compensate for
the lifting weight. Because of that it's difficult to use down pressure
to do grading or back blading. Personally I've found it much easier to
do with a compact 4WD backhoe loader.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

ATP wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Ignoramus27667 wrote:

[...]

Float mode won't do a lot to level out fresh gravel, you have to be able
to hold the blade at the desired grade high (compensating for machine
tilt) to level it out. Float mode will just apply bucket weight wherever
it is and on freshly deposited gravel which is all pretty much at the
same density it will just ride the contour scraping a bit off of both
high and low spots.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

id wrote in message

Ig, the machine is capable and would make a great outdoor fork lift, power
broom, etc. The grading results would be VERY dependent on the operator.

The large bucket and short wheelbase of my tractor magnify the difficulties
of grading. When the front wheel drops one inch the bucket edge drops two
which amplifies the irregularities of the surface, like the self-sustaining
washboard pattern on a dirt road. I've watched a fairly experienced Bobcat
operator struggle to overcome this.

Mine has no downforce and floats on frozen ground on skid plates so it's
fine for clearing snow or moving piles of dirt, but almost useless for
excavating and grading.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it
rains, and the water enters the building from the side.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...-8975.jpg.html

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks

Sorry, I odn't know, but what's that blue thing? What goes down and
what goes up?

It's a dust collector. fans pull the dust into the hopper, and it falls
into that 55 gallon drum under it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/1/2011 9:44 AM, tnik wrote:

It's a dust collector. fans pull the dust into the hopper, and it falls
into that 55 gallon drum under it.

And a sizable one at that...

Guesses on fan motor hp, anyone?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

From the pic -- looks like you need to direct that water away from the
building also. That is another challenge. It does not seem like you
can raise only the road bed, else you will trap water against the
building. And it's not clear what is on the other side of the road.
If you get the water off the road, where does it go?

In general, you want to get the road bed built up, with ditches to
each side and a path for the water to run away from the road and
towards an area where it can runoff or harmlessly pool. I have a 1/2
mile driveway and have issues where the steepness of the road makes it
hard to direct the water off the road.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

id wrote in message

[...]

This is my thinking exactly, that adding stuff to the road is the
wrong solution. I think that the road needs gravel removed or moved to
the side.

Looking at the picture, the first thing I would do would be to clean out
and kill all the vegetation along the exterior wall. Dig down and
verify existence of weep holes. Find the finish floor elevation and
establish it somewhere on the outside so you can shoot grade in relation
to finish floor. 30 minutes with a builder's level and driving some
grade pins should determine where to send the water. I would almost
venture to say that you may be removing some material rather than
bringing any more in.

Ig, the machine is capable and would make a great outdoor fork lift,
power broom, etc. The grading results would be VERY dependent on the
operator.

Thanks. I will sell it for sure, since I need money. however, my
thinking goes, I need to get some work done with it, so I can get some
use out of it and then sell.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2011-12-01, wrote:
On 11/30/2011 10:22 PM, Steve B wrote:

Call for a truck or three of gravel and spread it out.

Done.

NO This is probably why he is having the problem. If you just raise
the exterior grade without making provision for drainage you are just
compounding the problem. I would imagine that the building has weep
holes one or two bricks below finish floor. This becomes the highest
possible point for exterior grade - everything else has to be below that.

This is my thinking exactly, that adding stuff to the road is the
wrong solution. I think that the road needs gravel removed or moved to
the side.

First you have to establish as Dan says the needed grade level then
where does the water have to go to get away from the building. It looks
quite flat in general; it may well be there never was any real
consideration for drainage w/ every lot being built sequentially up to
put their runoff onto the boundary and the heck w/ the end result to
elsewhere. Is that alleyway a city easement or purely private property
might have a bearing on whose job it is to reestablish grade on it if it
isn't just access to the rear of your building for your use alone but is
trash pickup, etc., etc., etc., ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 30, 9:30*pm, Ignoramus27667 ignoramus27...@NOSPAM.
27667.invalid wrote:
I have a gravel road that deteriorated

snip

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

Don't get the cart before the horse. Your roadway needs repair. Go
find an operator/owner with a sheepsfoot roller and get the sub-base
compacted and repaired according to the type of soil conditions you
have. You might even be so bold as to to get the light road specs from
your county building inspector department and use those as a guide.
With the time and money you will save after that your property can be
upgraded to match the nifty driveway.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Ignoramus27667" wrote in message

I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it
rains, and the water enters the building from the side.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...-8975.jpg.html

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks

I used a York Rake on the back of a four-wheeler to smooth out a
bluestone driveway. A few passes and it was like new.

JAS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Iggy asked:

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Ig... so far (unless I missed it) nobody has hit on the basic reason for
your problem.

Unless the gravel is bound by some cementaceous substance, re-grading the
gravel won't do a thing for your water drainage. Gravel is highly
pourous to water -- it's used in things like percolation fields and
French drains to allow water to enter without allowing larger debris to
penetrate.

Re-grading the gravel won't cure the underlying problem: And the problem
TRULY "underlies" the gravel.

Scrape ALL the gravel aside, and re-grade the earth below it. THEN
replace and smooth the gravel, and you'll be fine.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

id wrote in message

[...]

Dan, I have reviewed your lucid response, and will now make it my own with
your permission.

It is very difficult to tell a lot from just a picture, not seeing the
thing, and not knowing your weather conditions, etc.

I think the PROPER way to fix it would be possibly to either make a lengthy
French drain with natural drainage if available, and if not, a sump pipe
with pump that will pump out water that seeps in.

If you are going to get serious about this at all, you might even consider
at some time concreting it so a hard wheeled forklift (3500# cap. variety)
could be used for loading/unloading.

Maybe after the first million. And don't count on PowerBall, I got the
winning numbers.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

id wrote in message

Ig, the machine is capable and would make a great outdoor fork lift,
power broom, etc. The grading results would be VERY dependent on the
operator.

The large bucket and short wheelbase of my tractor magnify the
difficulties of grading. When the front wheel drops one inch the bucket
edge drops two which amplifies the irregularities of the surface, like the
self-sustaining washboard pattern on a dirt road. I've watched a fairly
experienced Bobcat operator struggle to overcome this.

Mine has no downforce and floats on frozen ground on skid plates so it's
fine for clearing snow or moving piles of dirt, but almost useless for
excavating and grading.

jsw

My experiences operating them and watching operators is about the same.
They dig too much, and the wheelbase is too short. What I did see that
impressed me was a track bobcat with a thumb/bucket boom and a blade who
made short work of an uneven area I had. I was not optimistic when he
started, but man, he kicked the job out of the park in no time. Similarly
the same machine, but using a blade to bulldoze instead of a bucket that
goes up and down with whatever the tracks run over.

Steve

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it
rains, and the water enters the building from the side.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...-8975.jpg.html

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks

Sorry, I odn't know, but what's that blue thing? What goes down and
what goes up?

It's a dust collector. fans pull the dust into the hopper, and it falls
into that 55 gallon drum under it.

Thanks. My house is pretty dusty. I should get one of those.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 10:30*pm, Ignoramus27667 ignoramus27...@NOSPAM.
27667.invalid wrote:
I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it
rains, and the water enters the building from the side.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...m/Enterprise-D...

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks

I haven't read all the replies, but here is my take..............

First you need to clean up the side of the building and bring in dirt
to raise that part next to the building so water will be shunned away
from the building and onto the drive, then out to where it is suppose
to run to (ditch or sewer). After building up the area next to the
building, then the drive can be sloped away from the building. This
will help in future potholes. Nothing will stop potholes entirely
other than paving.

Building up the drive and not the area next to the building will only
mean more water into the building. You have to give the water a path,
that is lower than the building.

The skidster in th epic is plenty big enough to do the job you want
done.

Hank
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

I went to the auction site to pick up the skid steer.

Turns out that the skid steer that I won, was "accidentally" sold to
someone else, and the auctioneer tried to give me another one, hoping
that I would not notice.

That another one had 4500 hours on it, whereas the one that I was
bidding on, had 2,600 hours on it.

I explained to the auctioneer that it is like marrying a 26 year old
girl, who, upon closer inspection, turns out to be 45 year old.

Not quite a minor difference!

In the end, they refunded me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

I haven't read all the replies, but here is my take..............

First you need to clean up the side of the building and bring in dirt
to raise that part next to the building so water will be shunned away
from the building and onto the drive, then out to where it is suppose
to run to (ditch or sewer). After building up the area next to the
building, then the drive can be sloped away from the building. This
will help in future potholes. Nothing will stop potholes entirely
other than paving.

you dont want to raise ground level higher than the bottom of the
buildings sill or risk rotting out the buildings sill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 19:58:25 -0600, Ignoramus19716
wrote:

I went to the auction site to pick up the skid steer.

Turns out that the skid steer that I won, was "accidentally" sold to
someone else, and the auctioneer tried to give me another one, hoping
that I would not notice.

That another one had 4500 hours on it, whereas the one that I was
bidding on, had 2,600 hours on it.

I explained to the auctioneer that it is like marrying a 26 year old
girl, who, upon closer inspection, turns out to be 45 year old.

Not quite a minor difference!

In the end, they refunded me.

How much was the original win?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 10:19*pm, bob haller wrote:
I haven't read all the replies, but here is my take..............

First you need to clean up the side of the building and bring in dirt
to raise that part next to the building so water will be shunned away
from the building and onto the drive, then out to where it is suppose
to run to (ditch or sewer). After building up the area next to the
building, then the drive can be sloped away from the building. This
will help in future potholes. Nothing will stop potholes entirely
other than paving.

you dont want to raise ground level higher than the bottom of the
buildings sill or risk rotting out the buildings sill

If you look at the pic, it appears to be all masonry. There is no sill
plate.

Hank

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2011 9:19 PM, bob haller wrote:

I haven't read all the replies, but here is my take..............

First you need to clean up the side of the building and bring in dirt
to raise that part next to the building so water will be shunned away
from the building and onto the drive, then out to where it is suppose
to run to (ditch or sewer). After building up the area next to the
building, then the drive can be sloped away from the building. This
will help in future potholes. Nothing will stop potholes entirely
other than paving.

you dont want to raise ground level higher than the bottom of the
buildings sill or risk rotting out the buildings sill

Brick and block building, Bob, which may have some wood framing in the
office area. There should be weep holes in the exterior brick, one
course lower than finish floor to allow moisture out of the wall.
Exterior grade should begin at or below the bottom of the weeps and drop
1/2" per foot for the first 10' according to code. This is often not
done - I don't know why as it should be. Ig needs to get the water away
from the building whether it goes to a drywell, an evaporation detention
pond, or pipes to daylight or storm. The cheap things to do are to
arrange surface drainage away from the building.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

I went to the auction site to pick up the skid steer.

Turns out that the skid steer that I won, was "accidentally" sold to
someone else, and the auctioneer tried to give me another one, hoping
that I would not notice.

That another one had 4500 hours on it, whereas the one that I was
bidding on, had 2,600 hours on it.

I explained to the auctioneer that it is like marrying a 26 year old
girl, who, upon closer inspection, turns out to be 45 year old.

Not quite a minor difference!

In the end, they refunded me.

How much was the original win?

$13,500

Okay, he refunded the bid - And he paid you how much for your lost
time and effort, and the gas and vehicle expenses to get your little
trailer hitched up and come pick it up, only to find out it was
"accidentally" (BullF***ingS***) sold to someone else?

Not to mention the opportunity cost of the other bids and buys you
didn't make elsewhere because you thought you had that one locked up.

That's not a little Oopsie you can easily dismiss. You'd be well
within your rights to shout to the heavens and literally go after the
guy's balls - he's got state licenses, professional association
memberships, and Auctioneer's Surety Bonds you can go after...

In that business you don't "have accidents". You bid $13,500, and
someone probably walked up to him after the auction and made a better
offer to drive it away today, and he (or an employee) did it. I want
to know names, so I never go anywhere within three states of this
outfit.

You would be well within your rights to make him cough up the goods as
represented, Period. Or a significant amount in damages to cover your
losses in this transaction.

And please don't tell me you signed a full release to get the refund.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 06:13:14 -0600, Ignoramus8791

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

wrote:

I went to the auction site to pick up the skid steer.

Turns out that the skid steer that I won, was "accidentally" sold to
someone else, and the auctioneer tried to give me another one, hoping
that I would not notice.

That another one had 4500 hours on it, whereas the one that I was
bidding on, had 2,600 hours on it.

I explained to the auctioneer that it is like marrying a 26 year old
girl, who, upon closer inspection, turns out to be 45 year old.

Not quite a minor difference!

In the end, they refunded me.

How much was the original win?

$13,500

Okay, he refunded the bid - And he paid you how much for your lost
time and effort, and the gas and vehicle expenses to get your little
trailer hitched up and come pick it up, only to find out it was
"accidentally" (BullF***ingS***) sold to someone else?

He paid me nothing for that, but I aM ok WITH IT.

Not to mention the opportunity cost of the other bids and buys you
didn't make elsewhere because you thought you had that one locked up.

That's not a little Oopsie you can easily dismiss. You'd be well
within your rights to shout to the heavens and literally go after the
guy's balls - he's got state licenses, professional association
memberships, and Auctioneer's Surety Bonds you can go after...

I think that it was an honest **** up, at least up to the point when I
showed up. And when I did show up, possibly, he tried to cover up his
mistake.

In that business you don't "have accidents". You bid $13,500, and
someone probably walked up to him after the auction and made a better
offer to drive it away today, and he (or an employee) did it. I want
to know names, so I never go anywhere within three states of this
outfit.

I am not, yet, ready to decide that it was a deliberate deception from
the beginning.

You would be well within your rights to make him cough up the goods as
represented, Period. Or a significant amount in damages to cover your
losses in this transaction.

It is very hard to get damages for a failed transaction of this
sort. Possible, but under special circumstances such as when "time is
of the essence".

And please don't tell me you signed a full release to get the refund.

I just got a refund.

Asphalt Driveway Over Gravel: Why The Gravel ? Bob[_44_] Home Repair 27 May 11th 16 12:44 AM
WC pan skid marks David J UK diy 50 December 23rd 10 02:29 PM
Best way to level gravel turn around [email protected] Metalworking 21 July 21st 05 07:40 AM
Basement Waterproofing Contractors-- Mid Atlantic Water Proofing STEER CLEAR [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 11th 05 04:38 AM
Skid-steer or "Bobcat" John Smith Metalworking 30 August 20th 04 01:01 AM