Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Can a skid steer be used to level a gravel road

On 2011-12-01, Robert wrote:
wrote:

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Depends on the skill of the operator. I've had a good Bobcat guy do
a couple of very long mountain driveways with roadbase and they
turned out very well. If you were thinking you could do the work
yourself, I'd be a little concerned.

I have never operated a skid steer.

I agree with Robert Neville, the machine is capable, but only with a
qualified operator. Skid steers are very back heavy to compensate for
the lifting weight. Because of that it's difficult to use down pressure
to do grading or back blading. Personally I've found it much easier to
do with a compact 4WD backhoe loader.