Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Motor Oil? Really?

I was just reading the manual (thank you Carl) for the new to me (ancient)
HF lathe and it says to fill the head stock with heavy weight motor oil. I
would think something like 80-90 gear oil would be better rather than a
motor oil. What do you think?

P.S. There is about an inch of oil in the bottom of the gear case.
Probably hasn't been full in a very long time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in news:LEAAq.36002
:

I think you should pay attention to the requirements in the manual.

Most of those have slingers instead of seals. If the oil viscosity is
too high OR if it's too full, you'll be running oil like a faucet out
around the spindle.

Second, most of those are splash oiled. If so, they should only 'dip',
not run immersed. There should be only enough oil so that when the thing
is running (and thus, the oil level in the sump is lowest), there's still
just enough to get a full tooth dip on the bottom-most gears.

Let us know what happens if you fill it full with 90W gear lube G.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

I was just reading the manual (thank you Carl) for the new to me (ancient)
HF lathe and it says to fill the head stock with heavy weight motor oil.
I would think something like 80-90 gear oil would be better rather than a
motor oil. What do you think?

P.S. There is about an inch of oil in the bottom of the gear case.
Probably hasn't been full in a very long time.

I dutifully changed the oil in my Sheldon R15-6, which has a HUGE
D1-6 spindle. The chuck-end bearings are quite large, maybe
5-6" diameter ball bearings. The lube plate and manual said to use
Vactra heavy, but as soon as I ran it, the bearings started running
quite hot. After some online consultation, it became apparent it was
a typo, and they meant VELOCITE heavy, not Vactra! I put some
Velocite #2 in it that I had on hand, and was the specified lube for the
high-speed spindle, and it is working fine.

So, if your lathe has fairly large bearings, and is capable or running
at 1000 RPM or more, then you really want to use a light lube to
keep the bearings from running hot.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 27, 7:37*pm, Jon Elson wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

So then motor oil as in the manual might actually be the reccomended
oil. Interesting. Wonder what they mean by "heavy" 30 weight? 40
weight? Multi-vis? LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

My Grizzly (2400 RPM maximum spindle) recommends Mobil DTE
Heavy-Medium for the gearbox.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...DTE_Named.aspx

Comparing viscosities, to me it looks similar to SAE20 or SAE30
crankcase oil, or 80W gear oil.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...wanted-to-know

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 21:20:25 -0800 (PST), Bob La Londe
wrote:

On Nov 27, 7:37Â*pm, Jon Elson wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
I was just reading the manual (thank you Carl) for the new to me (ancient)
HF lathe and it says to fill the head stock with heavy weight motor oil.
I would think something like 80-90 gear oil would be better rather than a
motor oil. Â*What do you think?

P.S. Â*There is about an inch of oil in the bottom of the gear case.
Probably hasn't been full in a very long time.

I dutifully changed the oil in my Sheldon R15-6, which has a HUGE
D1-6 spindle. Â*The chuck-end bearings are quite large, maybe
5-6" diameter ball bearings. Â*The lube plate and manual said to use
Vactra heavy, but as soon as I ran it, the bearings started running
quite hot. Â*After some online consultation, it became apparent it was
a typo, and they meant VELOCITE heavy, not Vactra! Â*I put some
Velocite #2 in it that I had on hand, and was the specified lube for the
high-speed spindle, and it is working fine.

So, if your lathe has fairly large bearings, and is capable or running
at 1000 RPM or more, then you really want to use a light lube to
keep the bearings from running hot.

Jon

So then motor oil as in the manual might actually be the reccomended
oil. Interesting. Wonder what they mean by "heavy" 30 weight? 40
weight? Multi-vis? LOL.

If it is a "Chinglich" or '"Indiglish" manual they likely mean "heavy
duty' 30 weight oil. That's 30 weight oil with extreme pressure
additives, like zinc, added. You don't want multi-grade because you
are running a lot of shear, which would degrade the viscosity
improvers very quickly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I was just reading the manual (thank you Carl) for the new to me (ancient)
HF lathe and it says to fill the head stock with heavy weight motor oil.
I would think something like 80-90 gear oil would be better rather than a
motor oil. What do you think?

P.S. There is about an inch of oil in the bottom of the gear case.
Probably hasn't been full in a very long time.

Ok... How full to fill... Some simple observation answered this problem.
After setting up and starting a job on the Taig I was drawn over to the
31316 lathe again. I pulled the spindle gear box cover off and looked at
it. Turns out what I originally though was a drain is actually a sight
glass. Problem solved I think. Fill to the middle of the sight glass.
Can't see through it anymore, but you have to have the top open to fill it
anyway, and the manual recommends changing the oil regularly anyway. I
filled it with 30W motor oil for now. I'll see what it looks like after its
had some hours on it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking, Jon Elson wrote:
I dutifully changed the oil in my Sheldon R15-6, which has a HUGE
D1-6 spindle. The chuck-end bearings are quite large, maybe
5-6" diameter ball bearings.

I'm trying to imagine something that needs ball bearings that are
five to six inches in diameter.

Elijah
------
guessing HUGE would cover it
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 02/12/2011 06:23, Eli the Bearded wrote:
In rec.crafts.metalworking, Jon wrote:
I dutifully changed the oil in my Sheldon R15-6, which has a HUGE
D1-6 spindle. The chuck-end bearings are quite large, maybe
5-6" diameter ball bearings.

I'm trying to imagine something that needs ball bearings that are
five to six inches in diameter.

Elijah
------
guessing HUGE would cover it

Slewing rings for big cranes, for a start. There are usually pictures in
SKF publicity literature, so try the web site.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 06:23:06 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
wrote:

In rec.crafts.metalworking, Jon Elson wrote:
I dutifully changed the oil in my Sheldon R15-6, which has a HUGE
D1-6 spindle. The chuck-end bearings are quite large, maybe
5-6" diameter ball bearings.

I'm trying to imagine something that needs ball bearings that are
five to six inches in diameter.

Elijah
------
guessing HUGE would cover it

Any lathe over 12" throw is a start.

Wait till you swap out bearings in a Okuma LN6

28" diameter..ID

Gunner

Gunner Asch