Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is this?

A flatness gauge?

http://boss-proxy.chudov.com/tmp/tmp-0477.jpg.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus4881" wrote in message

A flatness gauge?

http://boss-proxy.chudov.com/tmp/tmp-0477.jpg.html

'Don't know. Does it have anything written on it? Ames used to make all
kinds of specialized gages and fixtures for specific industries.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--
http://fija.org/
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Ignoramus4881" wrote in message

A flatness gauge?

http://boss-proxy.chudov.com/tmp/tmp-0477.jpg.html

'Don't know. Does it have anything written on it? Ames used to make all
kinds of specialized gages and fixtures for specific industries.

--
Ed Huntress

Custom inspection gage, hand held height comparator.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus4881" wrote in message
A flatness gauge?

http://boss-proxy.chudov.com/tmp/tmp-0477.jpg.html

It does look quite right for a flatness gauge. The indicator is too close to
nearest part of the base, and the indicator only reads to .001" I would
say this is more likely a step height gauge for some particular piece of
equipment.

It looks something like a router table height gauge but without as much
travel .
http://www.squirreldaddy.com/product-p/14-101.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote in message ...

--
http://fija.org/
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Ignoramus4881" wrote in message

A flatness gauge?

http://boss-proxy.chudov.com/tmp/tmp-0477.jpg.html

'Don't know. Does it have anything written on it? Ames used to make all
kinds of specialized gages and fixtures for specific industries.

--
Ed Huntress

Custom inspection gage, hand held height comparator.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

[reply]

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me, but I don't know the specific
application. With such a short range it's likely for some sheet material.
The two pads on the base are either for setting on a surface plate or for
setting on some piece of machinery for which the gage was designed.

I used to get all kinds of press releases for odd gages from Ames.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

"Ignoramus4881" wrote in message
A flatness gauge?

http://boss-proxy.chudov.com/tmp/tmp-0477.jpg.html

It does look quite right for a flatness gauge. The indicator is too close
to nearest part of the base, and the indicator only reads to .001" I
would say this is more likely a step height gauge for some particular
piece of equipment.

It looks something like a router table height gauge but without as much
travel .
http://www.squirreldaddy.com/product-p/14-101.htm

correction: meant to say "It does NOT look quite right for a flatness
gauge."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 17, 11:18*pm, Ignoramus4881
wrote:
A flatness gauge?

http://boss-proxy.chudov.com/tmp/tmp-0477.jpg.html

Heh, work firewall doesn't like the word 'proxy' in the link.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/17/2011 8:18 PM, Ignoramus4881 wrote:
A flatness gauge?

http://boss-proxy.chudov.com/tmp/tmp-0477.jpg.html

The nice box looks just like some of the instrument boxes we used to get
at Boeing Surplus.

However, I would guess it is used to set the knives/blades on a wood
planer or a wood shaper.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus4881" wrote in message
A flatness gauge?

http://boss-proxy.chudov.com/tmp/tmp-0477.jpg.html

I use a shop made version to set the height of the knives on my
woodworking jointer after sharpening them.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/18/2011 12:47 PM, Artemus wrote:
lid wrote in message
A flatness gauge?

http://boss-proxy.chudov.com/tmp/tmp-0477.jpg.html

I use a shop made version to set the height of the knives on my
woodworking jointer after sharpening them.
Art

Jointer! That's the name I was trying to think of. Thanks.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-18, Ignoramus4881 wrote:
A flatness gauge?

http://boss-proxy.chudov.com/tmp/tmp-0477.jpg.html

Looks like it -- for checking for worn spots in a surface plate
perhaps? Nope -- not nearly sensitive enough for that. The dial is
calibrated in steps of 0.001" and I think that you would want something
in steps of 10 u" (micro-inch) or perhaps 1 u".

Yes, it will measure flatness, but not to the degree needed for
a surface plate.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-18, Ignoramus4881 wrote:
A flatness gauge?

http://boss-proxy.chudov.com/tmp/tmp-0477.jpg.html

Looks like it -- for checking for worn spots in a surface plate
perhaps? Nope -- not nearly sensitive enough for that. The dial is
calibrated in steps of 0.001" and I think that you would want something
in steps of 10 u" (micro-inch) or perhaps 1 u".

Yes, it will measure flatness, but not to the degree needed for
a surface plate.

Enjoy,
DoN.

[reply]

I think that the person or persons who suggested that it's a gage for
setting the blades on a wood shaper got it right. I've seen illustrations of
commercial units that look a lot like that.

It's not the way *I* set the blades on my shaper, but you frequently see
references to that kind of setup for setting shaper blades.

--
Ed Huntress