Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default What is this?

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

On 2011-11-18, Ignoramus4881 wrote:
A flatness gauge?

http://boss-proxy.chudov.com/tmp/tmp-0477.jpg.html

Looks like it -- for checking for worn spots in a surface plate
perhaps? Nope -- not nearly sensitive enough for that. The dial is
calibrated in steps of 0.001" and I think that you would want something
in steps of 10 u" (micro-inch) or perhaps 1 u".

Yes, it will measure flatness, but not to the degree needed for
a surface plate.

Enjoy,
DoN.

[reply]

I think that the person or persons who suggested that it's a gage for
setting the blades on a wood shaper got it right. I've seen illustrations of
commercial units that look a lot like that.

It's not the way *I* set the blades on my shaper, but you frequently see
references to that kind of setup for setting shaper blades.

--
Ed Huntress