Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Jones and Lamson comparator, scrap metal

As part of that "contents of T&C grinding garage for $1,000" deal, I
acquired a Jones and Lamson comparator, looking old and having some
rust on the table due to the owner not oiling it.

Would I be justified in just scrapping it for metal, (700 lbs), as it
looks like no one one needs them any more. It would seem that a couple
hours of my guy cleaning it would be a waste.

Am I missing anything?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus6053" wrote in message
news
As part of that "contents of T&C grinding garage for $1,000" deal, I
acquired a Jones and Lamson comparator, looking old and having some
rust on the table due to the owner not oiling it.

Would I be justified in just scrapping it for metal, (700 lbs), as it
looks like no one one needs them any more. It would seem that a couple
hours of my guy cleaning it would be a waste.

Am I missing anything?

If it is a relatively new machine with DRO it still might be worth
something, but I am guessing its not or you would have mentioned that. On
ebay all the working, tested comparators, even without DRO, are listed for
more than $1000, but I do not know if any one is buying them. Actually I see
that J&L themselves are selling re-manufactured older models, so maybe there
still is a market.
http://www.jlmetrology.com/remanufac...cts/index.html

If you do decide to scrap it, you still might be able to sell the lenses,
micrometer, glass screen, and possibly mirrors (if in good shape) as
replacement parts. Laser hobbists buy first surface mirrors. There are a
lot of comparator lenses listed on ebay for several hundred $. Again, I do
not know if anyone is buying.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 19:21:26 -0600, Ignoramus6053
wrote:

As part of that "contents of T&C grinding garage for $1,000" deal, I
acquired a Jones and Lamson comparator, looking old and having some
rust on the table due to the owner not oiling it.

Would I be justified in just scrapping it for metal, (700 lbs), as it
looks like no one one needs them any more. It would seem that a couple
hours of my guy cleaning it would be a waste.

Am I missing anything?

I'm sure its now a hobbyist item. I have one I got for maybe $250
years ago. Its a nice thing to have. If ebay is your market, its too
heavy and hard to ship. I'd try a local pickup only, sell parts off
it, or Craigs list. You've got the room to store it a while. Toss it
if its not gone in X amount of time.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-17, anorton wrote:

"Ignoramus6053" wrote in message
news
As part of that "contents of T&C grinding garage for $1,000" deal, I
acquired a Jones and Lamson comparator, looking old and having some
rust on the table due to the owner not oiling it.

Would I be justified in just scrapping it for metal, (700 lbs), as it
looks like no one one needs them any more. It would seem that a couple
hours of my guy cleaning it would be a waste.

Am I missing anything?

If it is a relatively new machine with DRO it still might be worth
something, but I am guessing its not or you would have mentioned
that.

No DRO

On
ebay all the working, tested comparators, even without DRO, are listed for
more than $1000, but I do not know if any one is buying them. Actually I see
that J&L themselves are selling re-manufactured older models, so maybe there
still is a market.
http://www.jlmetrology.com/remanufac...cts/index.html

If you do decide to scrap it, you still might be able to sell the lenses,
micrometer, glass screen, and possibly mirrors (if in good shape) as
replacement parts. Laser hobbists buy first surface mirrors. There are a
lot of comparator lenses listed on ebay for several hundred $. Again, I do
not know if anyone is buying.

Lots of dreamers out there. I will list it on ebay for a week for
$100.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

As part of that "contents of T&C grinding garage for $1,000" deal, I
acquired a Jones and Lamson comparator, looking old and having some
rust on the table due to the owner not oiling it.

Would I be justified in just scrapping it for metal, (700 lbs), as it
looks like no one one needs them any more. It would seem that a couple
hours of my guy cleaning it would be a waste.

Am I missing anything?

I'm sure its now a hobbyist item. I have one I got for maybe $250
years ago. Its a nice thing to have. If ebay is your market, its too
heavy and hard to ship. I'd try a local pickup only, sell parts off
it, or Craigs list. You've got the room to store it a while. Toss it
if its not gone in X amount of time.

Freight shipping is usually not that expensive, say from me to you it
would probably be $200.

I hate this comparator because it is top heavy and has no easy means
of lifting it (like lifting eyes).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 17, 6:55*am, Ignoramus4881
On 2011-11-17, anorton wrote:

[...]

i- Hide quoted text -

LOL..that is about all there is left on Ebay.

The Buy It Nevers that have flooded the Ebay landscape have killed it
for most buyers of HSM equipment.

TMT

scrap metal Vass[_11_] UK diy 12 November 21st 10 12:51 PM
Metal, keep it or scrap it Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Metalworking 39 October 2nd 10 08:09 AM
What should I do with my metal scrap? amandaF Metalworking 9 July 31st 08 01:37 AM
scrap metal revisited jives11 UK diy 20 April 13th 08 02:45 PM
Scrap metal prices fred UK diy 12 October 2nd 05 01:06 AM