Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bugger, broken drill bit...

I have a 3/32" HSS bit broken off ~1" deep in a blind hole in a 7075 AL
part, only a tiny stub of the bit is sticking out. Suggestions on how to
remove it without damaging the part?

Thanks,

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:

I have a 3/32" HSS bit broken off ~1" deep in a blind hole in a 7075 AL
part, only a tiny stub of the bit is sticking out. Suggestions on how to
remove it without damaging the part?

Possibly with a tap extractor? See McMaster-Carr, not that they make any
claims for using them with drill bits. ~$12 for the two-finger style.

For a drill bit, possibly kludgeable with two hunks of spring wire that
will fit in the flutes and an adjustable wrench or vise-grip clamped
close.

Turn the part upside down and apply heat - the hole should expand more
than the drill bit does.

There may also be a chemical approach.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal fired this volley
in :

There may also be a chemical approach.

there is. Searching my own archives, but it was posted here.

Something akin to "Boiling out broken taps".

Go wayback.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ecnerwal fired this
volley in
:

There may also be a chemical approach.

there is. Searching my own archives, but it was posted here.

Something akin to "Boiling out broken taps".

Go wayback.

LLoyd

ISTR something about using alum as a means to dissolve steel without
affecting aluminum . Of course I may be wrong , and it would be neither the
first nor the last time .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 16, 1:52*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
I have a 3/32" HSS bit broken off ~1" deep in a blind hole in a 7075 AL
part, only a tiny stub of the bit is sticking out. Suggestions on how to
remove it without damaging the part?

Thanks,

* * * * Pete C.

Lots of talk about virtually identical problem he
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/arc...p/t-45761.html

I would add that a reasonable amount of foul language is called for.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ecnerwal fired this
volley in
:

There may also be a chemical approach.

there is. Searching my own archives, but it was posted here.

Something akin to "Boiling out broken taps".

Go wayback.

LLoyd

ISTR something about using alum as a means to dissolve steel without
affecting aluminum . Of course I may be wrong , and it would be neither the
first nor the last time .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

That's what I've found searching around as well. Of course no regular
stores actually carry Alum any more, so I had to order some. I also
ordered up some Lye for the eventually anodizing of the part since
nobody carries that any more either *grumble*.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:
That's what I've found searching around as well. Of course no regular
stores actually carry Alum any more

Canning/spice section, grocery store...wally claims to have it at all
the nearby "supercenters", though the closest which is not a "super"
does not have it. Drugstores may be another source.

One local grocery chain with online access says not, another says yes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Snag wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ecnerwal fired this
volley in
:

There may also be a chemical approach.

there is. Searching my own archives, but it was posted here.

Something akin to "Boiling out broken taps".

Go wayback.

LLoyd

ISTR something about using alum as a means to dissolve steel without
affecting aluminum . Of course I may be wrong , and it would be neither
the
first nor the last time .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

That's what I've found searching around as well. Of course no regular
stores actually carry Alum any more, so I had to order some. I also
ordered up some Lye for the eventually anodizing of the part since
nobody carries that any more either *grumble*.

Alum, saturated solution in water. use it hot (near boiling). immerse the
part. I have tried building dams around it and it is always a big PITA.
With a hole that small and that deep, you will want to occasionally poke
fresh solution down in the hole with a piece of wire.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message ...

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Snag wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ecnerwal fired this
volley in
:

[...]

[reply]

How long does this take to work, Paul? I just mean order of magnitude or
so -- hours, days, or what?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message ...

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Snag wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ecnerwal fired this
volley in
:

[...]

I'm hoping for such a small bit it's a modest number of hours with
periodic flushing of the hole.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message ...

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Snag wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ecnerwal fired this
volley in
:

[...]

Depends.
#70 drill bit in a 16g watch plate will take about 10min.
Busted 1/4 20 tap in a through hole, maybe an hour or so until it is loose
enough to wiggle out.
His job is probably have to sit for hours. He might have to take it off the
hotplate at night and start back in the morning.
Because it is such a small, deep hole, the tiny amount of solution in
contact with the drill bit will get depleted right away.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lye is supposed to be desired by some drug cookers. Meth,
was it?

So many things banned. Give it a few years, and they will
ban everything that actually works.

First they came for the lye. I didn't speak up, because I
wasn't a soap maker.
Then they came for the freon, and I didn't speak up because
I wasn't a HVAC man.
Then, they came for the alum, and I didn't speak up,
because I hadn't broken a drill bit.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

That's what I've found searching around as well. Of course
no regular
stores actually carry Alum any more, so I had to order some.
I also
ordered up some Lye for the eventually anodizing of the part
since
nobody carries that any more either *grumble*.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 16, 7:04*pm, "Paul K. Dickman" wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Paul K. Dickman" *wrote in ....

"Pete C." wrote in message
s.com...

Snag wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ecnerwal fired this
volley in
:

#70 drill bit in a 16g watch plate will take about 10min.
Busted 1/4 20 tap in a through hole, maybe an hour or so until it is loose
enough to wiggle out.
His job is probably have to sit for hours. He might have to take it off the
hotplate at night and start back in the morning.
Because it is such a small, deep hole, the tiny amount of solution in
contact with the drill bit will get depleted right away.

Paul K. Dickman

Seems like some sort of agitator would be a big help with this.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

Then they came for the freon, and I didn't speak up because
I wasn't a HVAC man.

LIAR! G

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've done similar drill breaks. You have my sincere
compassion. I really feel for you. Perhaps use a syringe and
needle to flush the new alum down as best you can?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

How long does this take to work, Paul? I just mean order
of magnitude or
so -- hours, days, or what?

--
Ed Huntress

I'm hoping for such a small bit it's a modest number of
hours with
periodic flushing of the hole.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Maybe I should buy some alum, before they ban it like every
thing that works?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

How long does this take to work, Paul? I just mean order
of magnitude or
so -- hours, days, or what?

--
Ed Huntress

Depends.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, I should have said something. Just rolled my eyes, and
said BOHICA. Yes, I do tell lies, but as seldom as possible.
I never tell lies. I'm the only totally honest person in the
world. You can trust me.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote
in message
. 3.70...
"Stormin Mormon" fired
this volley in
:

Then they came for the freon, and I didn't speak up
because
I wasn't a HVAC man.

LIAR! G

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I get Red Devil brand lye down at the hardware store. In with the drain
cleaners.
You don't find alum at the stores anymore because almost no one makes
pickles..
The few that do, lean to quick process pickles and lime is better for those.

Paul K. Dickman

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Lye is supposed to be desired by some drug cookers. Meth,
was it?

So many things banned. Give it a few years, and they will
ban everything that actually works.

First they came for the lye. I didn't speak up, because I
wasn't a soap maker.
Then they came for the freon, and I didn't speak up because
I wasn't a HVAC man.
Then, they came for the alum, and I didn't speak up,
because I hadn't broken a drill bit.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

That's what I've found searching around as well. Of course
no regular
stores actually carry Alum any more, so I had to order some.
I also
ordered up some Lye for the eventually anodizing of the part
since
nobody carries that any more either *grumble*.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in
:

Maybe I should buy some alum, before they ban it like every
thing that works?

Chris, a LDS member should know - almost better than anyone else - about
"putting up". Alum is an essential canning salt. They won't outlaw it.
Heck! They don't even understand it!

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Snag wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ecnerwal fired this
volley in
:

There may also be a chemical approach.
there is. Searching my own archives, but it was posted here.

Something akin to "Boiling out broken taps".

Go wayback.

LLoyd

ISTR something about using alum as a means to dissolve steel without
affecting aluminum . Of course I may be wrong , and it would be neither the
first nor the last time .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

That's what I've found searching around as well. Of course no regular
stores actually carry Alum any more, so I had to order some. I also
ordered up some Lye for the eventually anodizing of the part since
nobody carries that any more either *grumble*.

Uh unless you live in the Artic every grocery store will have alum in
the spice rack. It is used in may pickling recipes.
If you live near any Amish stores you can buy it in bulk CHEAP.
It also works to dry up sores in your mouth.

Lye is also available in many of them.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message ...

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message ...

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Snag wrote:

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ecnerwal fired this
volley in
:

#70 drill bit in a 16g watch plate will take about 10min.
Busted 1/4 20 tap in a through hole, maybe an hour or so until it is loose
enough to wiggle out.
His job is probably have to sit for hours. He might have to take it off the
hotplate at night and start back in the morning.
Because it is such a small, deep hole, the tiny amount of solution in
contact with the drill bit will get depleted right away.

Paul K. Dickman

That's quicker than I would have suspected. 'Pretty slick.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

That's quicker than I would have suspected. 'Pretty slick.

Well, part of that would come from the fact that you are not trying to
(or needing to) dissolve the whole thing - just enough to get it free.

If you have one skinny enough, (or a diabetic friend ;-) a glue
applicator syringe might help get the solution in where it will do some
good.

Another solution (non chemical) which is a tittle trickier in aluminum,
but could work given some bit is projecting, is to put a nut over what
projects and weld (or perhaps braze, with steel in aluminum) it to the
bit. More typically seen as welding with snapped off bolts or studs
(where the heat of welding freeing up the rusted threads is often as
much use as the nut to grab onto), but same basic idea...attach
something you can grab onto and twist.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/16/2011 8:38 PM, Paul K. Dickman wrote:
I get Red Devil brand lye down at the hardware store. In with the drain
cleaners.
You don't find alum at the stores anymore because almost no one makes
pickles..
The few that do, lean to quick process pickles and lime is better for those.

Paul K. Dickman

I source alum from my local taxidermist.

MikeB

--
Email is valid but not checked often
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
I get Red Devil brand lye down at the hardware store. ...

Not anymore you don't. Unless your hardware store has some REALLY old
stock. Red Devil lye hasn't been made for years (2005?). The word was
that its use to make meth was behind its demise.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Paul K. Dickman wrote:
I get Red Devil brand lye down at the hardware store. ...

Not anymore you don't. Unless your hardware store has some REALLY old
stock. Red Devil lye hasn't been made for years (2005?). The word was
that its use to make meth was behind its demise.

Bob

http://www.lowes.com/
Item number 146450

Or just look for Sodium Hydroxide.
--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Paul K. Dickman wrote:
I get Red Devil brand lye down at the hardware store. ...

Not anymore you don't. Unless your hardware store has some REALLY old
stock. Red Devil lye hasn't been made for years (2005?). The word
was that its use to make meth was behind its demise.

Bob

http://www.lowes.com/
Item number 146450

Or just look for Sodium Hydroxide.

Oh, you can still get lye. You just can't get "Red Devil" brand lye.
And, if you want just plain lye, be careful about using drain cleaner -
it often has other ingredients.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

That's quicker than I would have suspected. 'Pretty slick.

Well, part of that would come from the fact that you are not trying to
(or needing to) dissolve the whole thing - just enough to get it free.

If you have one skinny enough, (or a diabetic friend ;-) a glue
applicator syringe might help get the solution in where it will do some
good.

I have plenty of syringes w/ 1/2" 31ga needles (allergy shots),
presuming the plastic syringe would stand up to the hot solution long
enough to do something. The problem is the AL chips packed along the
flutes which make it hard to get the needle in there, but hopefully they
would loosen as some HSS bit gets eaten away.

Another solution (non chemical) which is a tittle trickier in aluminum,
but could work given some bit is projecting, is to put a nut over what
projects and weld (or perhaps braze, with steel in aluminum) it to the
bit. More typically seen as welding with snapped off bolts or studs
(where the heat of welding freeing up the rusted threads is often as
much use as the nut to grab onto), but same basic idea...attach
something you can grab onto and twist.

I don't see welding working on a 3/32" bit, and particularly not
damaging the 7075AL the bit is in.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Snag wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ecnerwal fired this
volley in
:

[...]

Used to, perhaps a decade ago. Not a trace in my local grocery store
here in semi rural TX.

Lye is also available in many of them.

Nope, not any more either.

At any rate I've got about 10# of each on the way so that should be
enough for a while.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message ...

Steve W. wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Paul K. Dickman wrote:
I get Red Devil brand lye down at the hardware store. ...

Not anymore you don't. Unless your hardware store has some REALLY old
stock. Red Devil lye hasn't been made for years (2005?). The word was
that its use to make meth was behind its demise.

Bob

http://www.lowes.com/
Item number 146450

Or just look for Sodium Hydroxide.

Oh, you can still get lye. You just can't get "Red Devil" brand lye.
And, if you want just plain lye, be careful about using drain cleaner -
it often has other ingredients.

Bob

[reply]

The one brand that some soap makers use is Roebic Crystal Drain Cleaner. I
get it at Lowe's. It's 100% sodium hydroxide.

But I prefer to buy it from Essential Depot, online, when I need enough to
take advantage of their lower prices (but high shipping costs).

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Steve W. wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Paul K. Dickman wrote:
I get Red Devil brand lye down at the hardware store. ...
Not anymore you don't. Unless your hardware store has some REALLY old
stock. Red Devil lye hasn't been made for years (2005?). The word
was that its use to make meth was behind its demise.

Bob

http://www.lowes.com/
Item number 146450

Or just look for Sodium Hydroxide.

Oh, you can still get lye. You just can't get "Red Devil" brand lye.
And, if you want just plain lye, be careful about using drain cleaner -
it often has other ingredients.

Bob

The MSDS for the posted product is 100% Sodium Hydroxide

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
"Steve W." wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Snag wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ecnerwal fired this
volley in
:

[...]

Must be a strange place. I just picked some up from Wal-Mart and have
seen it in the Hannafords, Price Chopper and Save-A-Lot stores around here.

Lye is also available in many of them.

Nope, not any more either.

Easy to find around here.

At any rate I've got about 10# of each on the way so that should be
enough for a while.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

Must be a strange place. I just picked some up from Wal-Mart and have
seen it in the Hannafords, Price Chopper and Save-A-Lot stores around here.

Have your Save-A-Lot stores switch to the coin operated shopping cart
that needs a quarter to unlock it from the other carts?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

"Steve W." wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Snag wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ecnerwal fired this
volley in
:

[...]

The lye may be sold as caustic soda or drain cleaner.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 16, 8:52*am, "Pete C." wrote:
I have a 3/32" HSS bit broken off ~1" deep in a blind hole in a 7075 AL
part, only a tiny stub of the bit is sticking out. Suggestions on how to
remove it without damaging the part?

Thanks,

* * * * Pete C.

Could you drill in from the other side and punch it out?
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
But I prefer to buy it from Essential Depot, online, when I need enough
to take advantage of their lower prices (but high shipping costs).

I recently bought 10 lbs there, for $3/lb average. 1/2 of what you'd
pay at Lowes. I think it was you who posted about Essential Depot in
another thread. Thanks.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bugger, broken drill bit...(now: Coin deposit shopping carts)

I've seen the coin release carts at Aldi's, but not any
where else. It's a deposit, not a fee. You get a quarter
back when you leave.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message
m...

Have your Save-A-Lot stores switch to the coin operated
shopping cart
that needs a quarter to unlock it from the other carts?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

Not anymore you don't. Unless your hardware store has some REALLY old
stock. Red Devil lye hasn't been made for years (2005?). The word was
that its use to make meth was behind its demise.

Yeah, but other brands of pure potassium hydroxide lye have filled the gap.
Ace Hardware sells "Rooto" brand, for unclogging drains. It's not like
Drano, which is full of perfumes, colors, and aluminum chips to make gas to
agitate it. Rooto is just plain ol' lye.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

Not anymore you don't. Unless your hardware store has some REALLY old
stock. Red Devil lye hasn't been made for years (2005?). The word was
that its use to make meth was behind its demise.

Yeah, but other brands of pure potassium hydroxide lye have filled the gap.
Ace Hardware sells "Rooto" brand, for unclogging drains. It's not like
Drano, which is full of perfumes, colors, and aluminum chips to make gas to
agitate it. Rooto is just plain ol' lye.

LLoyd

For anodizing etch purposes I have used the "Drano kitchen crystals"
which has dyes, AL chips and whatnot, and those contaminants didn't seem
to have any detrimental effect. The parts anodized well, dyed and sealed
well, and have now been in use for a number of years with no issues.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
I get Red Devil brand lye down at the hardware store. ...

Not anymore you don't. Unless your hardware store has some REALLY old
stock. Red Devil lye hasn't been made for years (2005?). The word was
that its use to make meth was behind its demise.

Bob

You're right, My last one was Rooto brand
The one before that was Red Devil.

Either way, lye is readily available.

I am just tired of the knee jerk reactions every time someone can't find
something at the store.
Market forces are a much more likely reason than legislation.

You know, you just can't get the right kind of buggy whips anymore. It must
have been PETA's fault.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"Steve W." wrote:
Must be a strange place. I just picked some up from Wal-Mart and have
seen it in the Hannafords, Price Chopper and Save-A-Lot stores around here.

Have your Save-A-Lot stores switch to the coin operated shopping cart
that needs a quarter to unlock it from the other carts?

Not yet, ALDI uses them though.

One of the local towns has a cart problem currently. Seems that folks
are stealing the carts from the various stores and then dumping them
when they get home. The town decided that instead of arresting the
thieves for stealing the carts they would fine the stores for each cart
they find!!!

--
Steve W.