Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Forklift leaking brake fluid from right brake drum

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 13:07:16 -0500, Ignoramus27678
wrote:

I vote for Partial Credit, because he WILL need that Simplex for
working on the rear tires and suspension - no mast on that end.

I lost you here. I have this simplex jack on the shelf, why can't I
use it for the back?

You will NEED it for the back. Thats where the weight is.
When jacking it up..keep ALL your tools, family members and whatnot
clear of the jack and the work area. And stay out from under it!

Only use good, clear timbers in good shape. Thats close to 12,000 lbs of
steel you are going to be lifting up, if its a 6000 lb forklift..or
more. Often times the back is 3x the weight of the lifting capacity. +/-

And use a GOOD solid bar on the Simplex jack..you are going to need at
least 4 feet of it..6 will be better.

Lifting them is easy, if you have the right tools and use them safely in
a safe matter. Sometimes...thats not so easy.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I vote for Partial Credit, because he WILL need that Simplex for
working on the rear tires and suspension - no mast on that end.

I lost you here. I have this simplex jack on the shelf, why can't I
use it for the back?

You will NEED it for the back. Thats where the weight is.
When jacking it up..keep ALL your tools, family members and whatnot
clear of the jack and the work area. And stay out from under it!

Only use good, clear timbers in good shape. Thats close to 12,000 lbs of
steel you are going to be lifting up, if its a 6000 lb forklift..or
more. Often times the back is 3x the weight of the lifting capacity. +/-

You gotta be kidding me.

The whole forklift weighs less than 10k lbs

drinking
And use a GOOD solid bar on the Simplex jack..you are going to need at
least 4 feet of it..6 will be better.

Lifting them is easy, if you have the right tools and use them safely in
a safe matter. Sometimes...thats not so easy.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I vote for Partial Credit, because he WILL need that Simplex for
working on the rear tires and suspension - no mast on that end.

I lost you here. I have this simplex jack on the shelf, why can't I
use it for the back?

You will NEED it for the back. Thats where the weight is.
When jacking it up..keep ALL your tools, family members and whatnot
clear of the jack and the work area. And stay out from under it!

Only use good, clear timbers in good shape. Thats close to 12,000 lbs of
steel you are going to be lifting up, if its a 6000 lb forklift..or
more. Often times the back is 3x the weight of the lifting capacity. +/-

You gotta be kidding me.

The whole forklift weighs less than 10k lbs

If it weighs 10K you will have over 8 on the back tires. The whole
idea is to counter weight the forks.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 10:04:03 -0700, "Bruce L. Bergman (munged human
readable)" wrote:

(And for {$Deity}'s sake, don't anybody show Iggy that "Self Loading
Excavator into the back of a Dump Truck" footage for a few years. He
might get ideas he shouldn't have yet. That's an advanced level trick
for someone with a few hundred operating hours under their belt.
People like Adam Savage - and he freaked when he first tried it...)

I do it all the time to load my excavator on the trailer. The
ramps are too heavy for me to carry comfortably at about 50 kg each.
The ramps are long as #2 son uses it to carry cars he soups up for
customers and they have very little ground clearance.

OK, it is only a Yanmar B17, 1.3 tonnes and the car trailer (
flatbed ) is only about 600 mm above ground level.

Drive forward and place bucket on bed, lift front end with bucket
arm and drive forward until tread is on rear of trailer, lower dozer
blade so it cannot accidentally slide off, spin body so bucket is at
rear, raise body with bucket, drive on to trailer while operating the
bucket and blade to help push it on.

I do choose the loading place to get the rear of the trailer as low
as possible, so the Patrol is always higher than the trailer.

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I vote for Partial Credit, because he WILL need that Simplex for
working on the rear tires and suspension - no mast on that end.

I lost you here. I have this simplex jack on the shelf, why can't I
use it for the back?

You will NEED it for the back. Thats where the weight is.
When jacking it up..keep ALL your tools, family members and whatnot
clear of the jack and the work area. And stay out from under it!

Only use good, clear timbers in good shape. Thats close to 12,000 lbs of
steel you are going to be lifting up, if its a 6000 lb forklift..or
more. Often times the back is 3x the weight of the lifting capacity. +/-

You gotta be kidding me.

The whole forklift weighs less than 10k lbs

If it weighs 10K you will have over 8 on the back tires. The whole
idea is to counter weight the forks.

Karl

Ayup.

I suggest Iggy view the stats on his forklift..the gross weight and such
numbers.

He may be a bit surprised....

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-11-05, Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) wrote:
On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 08:14:50 -0500, Ignoramus27678
wrote:

Lifting the forklift was the easiest part of the job so far. I used a
Simplex 10 ton mechanical jack. Right now the front of the forklift
sits on 4x4s.

Okay, Gunner, Test Grading time - Fail, or Partial Credit?

I vote for Partial Credit, because he WILL need that Simplex for
working on the rear tires and suspension - no mast on that end.

I lost you here. I have this simplex jack on the shelf, why can't I
use it for the back?

The pneumatic tire outdoor duty forklifts actually have ground
clearance. A Simplex railroad jack, stubby bottle jack, or other
devices can be used to get them off the ground for repairs.

Nothing "wrong" with using a jack for that, but the Mast Tilt trick
means you don't need any of that.

The solid tire Indoor Only fork trucks do Not have clearance for a
regular jack, if you're lucky you have three to four inches from the
floor - and that's with new tires and full tread. I've seen under two
inches lots of times. A regular trolley jack won't fit under there,
and two tons isn't nearly enough.

Takes a special floor jack with a very short nose to do the pick on
these safely, and you have to be Real Sure the truck is blocked up and
stable before you start taking wheels off and sticking your body parts
in bad places.

But if the truck runs, the 'tilt mast back, add cribbing under mast,
tilt mast forward, safety cribbing under chassis' is a lot easier.

(And for {$Deity}'s sake, don't anybody show Iggy that "Self Loading
Excavator into the back of a Dump Truck" footage for a few years. He
might get ideas he shouldn't have yet. That's an advanced level trick
for someone with a few hundred operating hours under their belt.
People like Adam Savage - and he freaked when he first tried it...)

I am too much of a chicken to attempt that.

Wait till you have a year or so experience on it with a lot of
hours. As you're buzzing one around like it's second nature, and
running the valves and digging holes like you are playing a Video Game
- without even thinking about which valve does what and whether you
just push or pull (or twist and tilt and trigger on a Joystick style
digger) just a flick of the wrist and you're digging.

THEN you can do the self-unload trick. And it'll be fun.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

readable)" wrote:

[...]

Yes, but that's onto the back of a car trailer without ramps, not
into the back of a full-size dump truck without ramps. Same process,
but the "Angle of the Dangle" is a little more serious, you're at
about 45 degrees as you spin it around.

Be sure to pull in the boom as you go around for the push-off, you
don't want to fall over sideways right about then.

And be real careful about selecting the tracks Forward or Reverse if
you've got the cab spun around to the other end. I'd almost have a
bystander throw chocks behind the tracks if I was doing it for the
first time, so I don't mess up too spectacularly...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Simplex is a mechanical toe jack, they are awesome for moving
machinery. All riggers have them.

I have two, a 5 ton one and a 10 ton one (plus a giant 20 ton Buda
that I never use).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270822920928

Brake Fluid Manufacturers Swastik Brakefluid Woodworking 0 October 21st 11 10:46 AM
Way OT -- brake fluid TD Driver[_3_] Woodworking 19 April 26th 09 03:54 PM
Way OT -- brake fluid dpb Woodworking 0 April 23rd 09 06:27 PM
Way OT -- brake fluid Robatoy[_2_] Woodworking 0 April 23rd 09 06:22 PM
Brake Fluid - Alternative Use? RWL Metalworking 28 October 21st 05 02:15 AM