Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default hydraulic snowblower

"The Kid" scored a 60" Arps tractor snowblower at an auction today...

He wants to run it on his skid steer. Just cut off the three point,
put on a hydraulic motor and mount plate. His question, which
hydraulic motor?

He's got 10.5 GPM at 2000PSI on the skid steer. The blower should run
500 RPM. OK, I'd do 10gpm*231 in3/gal is 2310 in3/min
2310in3/500 is 4.6in3 motor

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...c&keyword=HML1
Any more to it than just getting one of the bottom three selections
from surplus center?

What hp will he get to the blower? I got 13hp but I'm probably doing
something wrong so I won't share my work G At any rate, I'm telling
him he's going to be limited on blowing power. My 72" PTO blower can
bring a 60 horse tractor to its knees.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
"The Kid" scored a 60" Arps tractor snowblower at an auction today...

He wants to run it on his skid steer. Just cut off the three point,
put on a hydraulic motor and mount plate. His question, which
hydraulic motor?

He's got 10.5 GPM at 2000PSI on the skid steer. The blower should run
500 RPM. OK, I'd do 10gpm*231 in3/gal is 2310 in3/min
2310in3/500 is 4.6in3 motor

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...c&keyword=HML1
Any more to it than just getting one of the bottom three selections
from surplus center?

What hp will he get to the blower? I got 13hp but I'm probably doing
something wrong so I won't share my work G At any rate, I'm telling
him he's going to be limited on blowing power. My 72" PTO blower can
bring a 60 horse tractor to its knees.

Karl

He doesn't have enough flow really. The common 60" rigs for skid steers
take closer to 20-30 gpm.

Most of the ones for lower flow use twin motors, one for the auger and
one for the impeller.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

I would tend to agree, the skid steers I have used had an extra button
for "high flow hydraulics" to handle some of the bigger attachments.
Inadequate RPM on the second stage is the kiss of death for a
snowblower.

My thought would be to get a nice surplus diesel engine and make the
attachment self powered. Some commercial attachments are like that, I
recall a compact asphalt miller attachment for parking lot work that has
a 24hp diesel on it and the skid steer just provides lift and movement.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 23:14:45 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

I agree, don't think his pump is big enough. I re-did the Hp. calc and
got 12. Now, he's going to try this, after all, dad's not that smart.
I don't see how doubling the expense by using two motors would make
much difference.

The question is, will 12 horses to a 60" blower be able to do
anything? Or just stall? He ain't got the money to buy a tractor.
Maybe I'd best loan him one this winter. (He don't like the one I loan
- no cab)

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Won't without the flow needed.
The twin motor designs eliminate the gearboxes and chains used on most
PTO style units and allows a bit less power to run them.

The question is, will 12 horses to a 60" blower be able to do
anything? Or just stall? He ain't got the money to buy a tractor.
Maybe I'd best loan him one this winter. (He don't like the one I loan
- no cab)

I doubt it will do a lot. BUT He could add a larger pump to the skid steer.

Karl

--
Steve W.

Snowblower Frank[_5_] Home Repair 2 February 26th 08 03:41 AM
Snowblower..... stoli Home Repair 3 October 30th 05 11:00 PM
Snowblower...? Ken Weitzel Electronics Repair 8 January 28th 05 03:37 PM
Snowblower Corinne Home Repair 0 January 6th 05 10:20 PM