Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I highly recommend this shop crane

I highly recommend this shop crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/OTC-Shop-Crane/

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1814-Capac.../dp/B00291AOU4

It is so much better than my old trusty Harbor Freight crane, it is
amazing.

1. Can lift 6,000 lbs to a great height, over 11 feet.
2. Electric hydraulic, two speed pump
3. The rear wheel swivels, as opposed to the front wheels, meaning
easier and safer to maneuver.
4. What this crane needs, for sure, is a large, and very flat, floor.

I have been moving stuff around the building, with it, it moves 1,000
lbs things like nothing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-06, Carla Fong wrote:
On 10/5/2011 9:26 PM, Ignoramus28169 wrote:

I highly recommend this shop crane:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/OTC-Shop-Crane/

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1814-Capac.../dp/B00291AOU4

It is so much better than my old trusty Harbor Freight crane, it is
amazing.

1. Can lift 6,000 lbs to a great height, over 11 feet.
2. Electric hydraulic, two speed pump
3. The rear wheel swivels, as opposed to the front wheels, meaning
easier and safer to maneuver.
4. What this crane needs, for sure, is a large, and very flat, floor.

I have been moving stuff around the building, with it, it moves 1,000
lbs things like nothing.

At about $10K it oughta be!

Replacing the crappy casters on the Harbor Freight engine hoist with
some better quality ones makes a big improvement. It's still a harbor
Freight unit, but at least you can move and steer it.

True, this is what I did with my HF crane. I did not, of course, buy
that crane for $10k, I would not be able to afford that. But what I am
saying is that if you do come across something like that, snag it
right away, if you have the room and a flat floor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carla Fong" wrote in message
On 10/5/2011 9:26 PM, Ignoramus28169 wrote:
... Replacing the crappy casters on the Harbor Freight engine hoist with
some better quality ones makes a big improvement. It's still a harbor
Freight unit, but at least you can move and steer it.

Carla

I modified my old Spreuer crane like this to run on dirt:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...51034176921634

The 8" rubber-tired steel wheels on the hook end were surplus so I don't
know their load capacity. They survived hauling an 1100 Lb boulder a few
hundred feet back into the woods. Their axles are on extension straps that
let them swing back under the frame to roll on dirt, or forward beyond the
frame to let the original steel rollers run on pavement, at full capacity.

For an HF type crane I'd replace the casters with fixed axles as I did with
the platform stacker:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...44343827153698

Those were fabricated from stainless pipe, with home-made needle bearings
made from stainless welding rod.
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...44353392854802
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...44360314674306
The gap clears a rib under the platform.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

made from stainless welding rod.https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...44360314674306
The gap clears a rib under the platform.

jsw

Great ideas!

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 5, 11:26*pm, Ignoramus28169 ignoramus28...@NOSPAM.
28169.invalid wrote:
I highly recommend this shop crane:

*http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/OTC-Shop-Crane/

* Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/OTC-1814-Capac.../dp/B00291AOU4

It is so much better than my old trusty Harbor Freight crane, it is
amazing.

1. Can lift 6,000 lbs to a great height, over 11 feet.
2. Electric hydraulic, two speed pump
3. The rear wheel swivels, as opposed to the front wheels, meaning
* *easier and safer to maneuver.
4. What this crane needs, for sure, is a large, and very flat, floor.

I have been moving stuff around the building, with it, it moves 1,000
lbs things like nothing.

I have one at home...they are great.

TMT