Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stereo lithography

Our company just bought the assets of another company that closed after
losing a major lawsuit.

One of the assets is a Dimension SST 1200 stereo lithography machine. It
had several demo programs including a salt shaker with a removable cap
that was threaded to the bottom and, of course, the always popular
working 6" adjustable wrench made as one piece.

The machine works from .STL files created from 3-D CAD files. I'm
looking for other STL files to try, or alternately, someone who could
create an STL file from a Autocad wireframe file. Our old version of
Autocad (2000) seems to have the STL output function, but I don't know
enough about it yet to make it work.

Any out there working with this type of file?

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 07:36:26 -0500, the renowned "David R. Birch"
wrote:

Our company just bought the assets of another company that closed after
losing a major lawsuit.

One of the assets is a Dimension SST 1200 stereo lithography machine. It
had several demo programs including a salt shaker with a removable cap
that was threaded to the bottom and, of course, the always popular
working 6" adjustable wrench made as one piece.

The machine works from .STL files created from 3-D CAD files. I'm
looking for other STL files to try, or alternately, someone who could
create an STL file from a Autocad wireframe file. Our old version of
Autocad (2000) seems to have the STL output function, but I don't know
enough about it yet to make it work.

Any out there working with this type of file?

David

Yup, use them all the time.

I use Solidworks to create a 3D model of the part and then export it
as STL for prototyping (in plastic or metal)

Here is one source of Solidworks models:
http://www.3dcontentcentral.com

You don't normally work directly with STL files- they're just kind of
a "print" file that trashes all the parametric modelling in the
original format.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I haven't looked into this for 10years or so,
but I don't think you can create an STL file from a true wireframe. A
wireframe actually has no data in it that would allow the point-to-point
translation involved in an STL file. Each wire is sort of independent; it
doesn't "see" the space between the wires, so it doesn't allow surfacing
from the wireframe file. At least, that's how I remember it.

I created many STL files from Rhino and from Ashlar Vellum, but they were 3D
NURBS models to begin with. Whether the wireframes in AutoCad are true
wireframes, or rather wireframe representations of surfaces, I don't know.
If AutoCad 2000 has an STL output function, I would surmise that is the
case.

--
Ed Huntress

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Info for manufacturers:
http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:
http://www.speff.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 07:36:26 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

Our company just bought the assets of another company that closed after
losing a major lawsuit.

One of the assets is a Dimension SST 1200 stereo lithography machine. It
had several demo programs including a salt shaker with a removable cap
that was threaded to the bottom and, of course, the always popular
working 6" adjustable wrench made as one piece.

The machine works from .STL files created from 3-D CAD files. I'm
looking for other STL files to try, or alternately, someone who could
create an STL file from a Autocad wireframe file. Our old version of
Autocad (2000) seems to have the STL output function, but I don't know
enough about it yet to make it work.

Any out there working with this type of file?

David

McMaster supplies native Solidworks files for many of their hardware
items: fasteners, pipe fittings, springs, bearings, etc. If you find
something interesting on their site that has the CAD download
available, post the part number and I'll convert it for you.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:01:22 -0400, the renowned "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I haven't looked into this for 10years or so,
but I don't think you can create an STL file from a true wireframe. A
wireframe actually has no data in it that would allow the point-to-point
translation involved in an STL file. Each wire is sort of independent; it
doesn't "see" the space between the wires, so it doesn't allow surfacing
from the wireframe file. At least, that's how I remember it.

I think Acad2000 was pretty early in their 3D development, and I
remember the 3D modelling being pretty primitive compared to
Solidworks, SolidEdge etc. But anyway, it did claim to have wire
frame, surface and solid modelling capabilities.

Unfortunately for them (and their shareholders), AutoDesk really
missed the boat on the move to 3D parametric modelling.

I created many STL files from Rhino and from Ashlar Vellum, but they were 3D
NURBS models to begin with. Whether the wireframes in AutoCad are true
wireframes, or rather wireframe representations of surfaces, I don't know.
If AutoCad 2000 has an STL output function, I would surmise that is the
case.

Apparently you can use a plug-in with Google Sketchup to make STL
files. Not sure if this works with the free version.

--
Ed Huntress

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

car stereo [email protected] Home Repair 28 May 19th 07 07:26 PM
Car Stereo thejackal51 Electronics Repair 5 September 18th 06 09:51 PM
OT car stereo JoeFaeGlesga UK diy 13 August 7th 06 10:00 PM
How to connect JVC Stereo Cassete Deck(KD-AD2),Stereo Integrated Amplifier(A-S7),Stereo Tuner(T-V3) to RCA Television(FMR 7277ER) Thaqalain Electronics Repair 0 July 30th 05 08:33 AM
Panasonic VCR quit playing back in hi-fi stereo, still records in hi-fi stereo larrymoencurly Electronics Repair 3 August 17th 03 11:08 PM