Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Stereo lithography

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 07:36:26 -0500, the renowned "David R. Birch"
wrote:

Our company just bought the assets of another company that closed after
losing a major lawsuit.

One of the assets is a Dimension SST 1200 stereo lithography machine. It
had several demo programs including a salt shaker with a removable cap
that was threaded to the bottom and, of course, the always popular
working 6" adjustable wrench made as one piece.

The machine works from .STL files created from 3-D CAD files. I'm
looking for other STL files to try, or alternately, someone who could
create an STL file from a Autocad wireframe file. Our old version of
Autocad (2000) seems to have the STL output function, but I don't know
enough about it yet to make it work.

Any out there working with this type of file?

David

Yup, use them all the time.

I use Solidworks to create a 3D model of the part and then export it
as STL for prototyping (in plastic or metal)

Here is one source of Solidworks models:
http://www.3dcontentcentral.com

You don't normally work directly with STL files- they're just kind of
a "print" file that trashes all the parametric modelling in the
original format.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany