Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AC condenser part duex

Don Foreman was out for a visit today... We, of course, needed an
excuse to get together. Guys aren't wimin folk after all, we don't
just talk, we have to do something.

My plan A was to remove one of the leads or ends on the broken John
Deere AC condenser and then drill the obstruction. Things went smooth
until drilling. The drill wouldn't go through the brazed obstruction.
After a bunch of drilling the drill came out the side of a tube.
Things looked pretty dark at this point.

Plan B was quickly formulated. We tied to remove one of the 180 U
tubes on the end of the condenser to bypass the break. Things didn't
go much better. The U is very thin copper and it mashed and then tore
out. Things started to look even darker.

Don had a plan C. He built a little swedge on my 10 EE. (Don doesn't
know this but he's the first person outside of my son that I've ever
allowed to touch my beloved 10EE). We used this to make the tore out
end perfectly round. Then carefully drilled out the torn out U tube
leaving the main line. Don then did lots of futzing making the
condenser lead fit. We clamped the lead just right and Don silver
soldered it in place. It passed the pressure test.

Victory felt good. We celebrated with a few beers , steaks from the
grill, mashed potatoes, fresh tomatoes, and wine. A very enjoyable
afternoon.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

Excellent, it's always nice to win and salvage a part even if you have
to go to plan C to get there. BTW, the drill probably would have worked
if it had been inside a hardened guide tube as used in gun drilling.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That was a meeting of great minds. I would have brought some beer, if
I was invited.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 20:17:57 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

[...]

Bravo! The meeting of the Minds!!

Well done to you both!!

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Good friends, good grub, doin' a job, fellowship. It was a very good
day for me, best I've had recently. Thank you Karl and Julie.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You both have my respect. Sounds like you are both good men,
and that you work well together. Very well done, sirs.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Karl Townsend" wrote in
message news Don Foreman was out for a visit today... We, of course,
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Well, Karl.... if'n you gotta recruit some help, then I'd say you
picked out the best of the best to help you get the job done - done
right - and done ONCE. Congrats to both....
Ken
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Don't you just love it when a good plan comes to fruition?

How'd y'all survive that heat wave? I stayed inside in air
conditioned comfort and did some paying work for a change.:-)).

Wolfgang