Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drier Won't Dry - Part Duex

So, the most likely culprit is that I have a clogged vent. The vent
is run under the house, about 10 feet to the outside wall. What is
the best way to clean the part from under the floor to the wall?

- Take it out and clean it
- Replace it
Something else?

I can get in the crawl space and get to it...

Thanks
Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 Jul, 12:51, Mike wrote:
So, the most likely culprit is that I have a clogged vent. The vent
is run under the house, about 10 feet to the outside wall. What is
the best way to clean the part from under the floor to the wall?

- Take it out and clean it
- Replace it
Something else?

I can get in the crawl space and get to it...

Thanks
Mike.

Can you get a 2" shop vac hose down there, maybe with an extension
from another shop vac hose? Hook the hose to the Blow side, not the
Suck side and use it as a ramming rod. Once it punches through the
obstruction, it should blow all the crap out the other end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 6 Jul, 12:51, Mike wrote:
So, the most likely culprit is that I have a clogged vent. The vent
is run under the house, about 10 feet to the outside wall. What is
the best way to clean the part from under the floor to the wall?

- Take it out and clean it
- Replace it
Something else?

I can get in the crawl space and get to it...

Thanks
Mike.

Can you get a 2" shop vac hose down there, maybe with an extension
from another shop vac hose? Hook the hose to the Blow side, not the
Suck side and use it as a ramming rod. Once it punches through the
obstruction, it should blow all the crap out the other end.

Heh! Use a LEAF BLOWER (preferably gas) and fling that crap into the next
county!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 6, 3:54?pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:51:14 +0000, Mike wrote:

So, the most likely culprit is that I have a clogged vent. The vent
is run under the house, about 10 feet to the outside wall. What is
the best way to clean the part from under the floor to the wall?

I used a drain snake. The coiled tip snagged up the lint and crap nicely.

no relocate the dryer to a outside wall or it will just clog
again...........

shorter run elminates fiore hazard and saves energy

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 09:57:06 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

- Take it out and clean it
- Replace it
Something else?

I can get in the crawl space and get to it...

You may have to crawl.

Thanks Mike.

Can you get a 2" shop vac hose down there, maybe with an extension
from another shop vac hose?

If you're going to use a shop-vac, no need to use an extension because
there's no need to go into the crawl space. Go where the dryer is
hook it up there.

Hook the hose to the Blow side, not the
Suck side and use it as a ramming rod. Once it punches through the
obstruction, it should blow all the crap out the other end.

I think I would not count on blowing through. Don't most dryer vent
hoses have a narrower part at the end? And even if it doesn't, the
dryer has been blowing.

I'd suck first, with my hands around the hose etc.

Etc. etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 6, 5:24 pm, mm wrote:

-- If you're going to use a shop-vac, no need to use an extension
because
-- there's no need to go into the crawl space. Go where the dryer is
-- hook it up there.

The OP said "The vent is run under the house, about 10 feet to the
outside wall."

To which I said: Can you get a 2" shop vac hose down there, maybe with
an extension from another shop vac hose?

I'm talking about a extension on the vac hose, not the power cord.

The hose on my shop is barely 10' long with both straight tubes
attached to the flexible section. Considering the hose has to be
attached to the vac, and considering the straight pieces probably
can't be pushed into the vent, I'm guessing he'll need an extension if
he wants to blow (or suck) out the entire length of the vent from one
location.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:26:48 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jul 6, 5:24 pm, mm wrote:

-- If you're going to use a shop-vac, no need to use an extension
because
-- there's no need to go into the crawl space. Go where the dryer is
-- hook it up there.

The OP said "The vent is run under the house, about 10 feet to the
outside wall."

To which I said: Can you get a 2" shop vac hose down there, maybe with
an extension from another shop vac hose?

I'm talking about a extension on the vac hose, not the power cord.

That's what I thought you meant, but I thougbht you meant that so you
could leave the vacuum outside and only take the end of the hose to
some place in the crawl space.

I was concentrating on "under the house" and you were concentrating on
"10 feet" in the same sentence.

The hose on my shop is barely 10' long with both straight tubes
attached to the flexible section. Considering the hose has to be
attached to the vac, and considering the straight pieces probably
can't be pushed into the vent, I'm guessing he'll need an extension if
he wants to blow (or suck) out the entire length of the vent from one
location.

OK. What I meant by holding my hands [cupped] around the ducte was to
seal the ducte so that I only had to put the hose a couple inches into
it.

Elther plan might work. Maybe Jim will let us know what happens,
although I understand how these things drag on for months.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" wrote in message
ps.com...
So, the most likely culprit is that I have a clogged vent. The vent
is run under the house, about 10 feet to the outside wall. What is
the best way to clean the part from under the floor to the wall?

- Take it out and clean it
- Replace it
Something else?

I can get in the crawl space and get to it...

Thanks
Mike.

Dryer venting is cheap, replace the damn ****!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 1:20?am, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

ps.com...

So, the most likely culprit is that I have a clogged vent. The vent
is run under the house, about 10 feet to the outside wall. What is
the best way to clean the part from under the floor to the wall?

- Take it out and clean it
- Replace it
Something else?

I can get in the crawl space and get to it...

Thanks
Mike.

Dryer venting is cheap, replace the damn ****!

long term relocating dryer to outside wall if possible is way better.
less backpressure === less energy used

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 8:55 am, " wrote:
Dryer venting is cheap, replace the damn ****!

Yep, it was a combination of a ****ty run (several curves that were
not needed), and about 10 extra feet of hose that the dumbass that put
it in didn't trim.

I fixed that, replaced an 8 ft section, and we're good.

long term relocating dryer to outside wall if possible is way better.
less backpressure === less energy used

It's where it's going to stay, I'll just keep in mind that I might
have to clean it every year or three. The dog enjoyed the adventure
in the crawl space anyway, and it only took an hour or so.

Drier Won't Dry Mike Home Repair 10 July 7th 07 04:05 AM
Drier Repair George UK diy 15 March 8th 07 06:39 PM
Which tumble drier...? Lobster UK diy 49 July 7th 06 03:26 AM
Unisaw restoration progress part duex (w/pics) David F. Eisan Woodworking 3 May 25th 05 06:44 PM
Drier in Bathroom Fredrick Skoog UK diy 6 September 27th 03 07:40 PM