Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tom Gardner - Why 750 Hours?

Not sure if you saw my questions in that other thread, so here it is again,

Tom Gardner" Mars@tacks wrote in message
On 6/29/2011 2:13 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Ok... I know some are going to say its just the wrong tool for the job,
but I get a lot of use out of the little Bosch Colt routers as a high
speed spindle for detail cutters on aluminum. I've got one that is due
for new bearings, and overall I am not unhappy with the stock bearings.
I get hundreds of hours out of them. I have found there are lots of
possible replacement bearings. The stock ones are only a few dollars and
I may go that way, but if a hybrid or ceramic might last longer it might
be worth paying a little more. They have to be able to handle continuous
speed upto about 35000 RPM. Actually free spin at max according to my
tach is a little higher, but I always back it off just slightly from
max. My brushes last 2-3 times as long when I do that. They have to
handle both axial and radial load. Most of the time they are shaving
thousands at high feed rates with little side load, but once in a while
on an aggressive cut/plunge with a bigger cutter I can actually hear the
motor slow down for a moment. I don't want to spend more on bearings
than the whole spindle is worth only to have them turn to ceramic powder
the first time I push them a little too hard. Suggestions? Ideas?

We use a bunch of Hitachi 1/2" VS routers...probably very similar. We get
about 250 hrs on a set of bearings, but we beat the crap out of them. We
use the stock replacement bearings and usually have to pitch the router at
750 hours. For me, better bearings probably isn't worth the cost.

Thanks Tom. I was hoping somebody who beats on routers the way I do would
answer. After posting I realized I had about answered my own question. The
stock bearings are satisfactory and dirt cheap. If I find a good
replacement interval for bearings and brushes its pretty cheap to keep them
going. I have a question though. Why are you pitching them at 750 hours?
What is wearing out that isn't easily replaceable? Not that $99 for a whole
new router (today's price for the 20 series Colt at The Box) is a lot of
money to just replace them. I bought one today so I would have a spare to
use while rebuilding others. At that price if they'd had more than one I
would have probably bought three or four of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/1/2011 2:33 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Wa mount a 1-1/2" Rabiting carbide cutter and are cutting kiln-dried
Beech. At @750 (I just go by how many per year) they are pretty beat up
internally and externally. They are so cheap, it's not worth a
mechanics time to replace castings, armatures and such.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Ok, Thanks Tom. That's what I wanted to know. So far I am just wearing out
brushes and bearings. It only takes about 15 minutes to replace bearings
and seconds to replace brushes so it is cheaper for my time than buying a
new one. I will carefully check armatures, castings, and plastic parts when
servicing and follow your lead if any of those are cracked.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/2/2011 1:53 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

For some reason little shavings of fine cut steel wire get into
everything. Commutators on brushed motors get mangled and can only be
dressed a couple of times. The other enemy of machines and tools is
careless people...they just don't care, it's not their stuff. I cringe
every time I have to bring any of my personal tools or equipment to work.

Ping: Tom Gardner Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Metalworking 1 October 3rd 09 05:00 AM
Pinging Tom Gardner Ken Sterling[_2_] Metalworking 4 November 1st 08 02:32 PM
PING: Tom Gardner Anthony Metalworking 0 April 13th 06 10:35 PM
Ping Tom Gardner Gunner Metalworking 1 February 12th 06 03:05 AM
Idea for Tom Gardner... Pete C. Metalworking 11 December 25th 05 02:36 AM