Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default disassembly of keyless chuck

I've got a drill chuck that's sticky, and would like to disassemble
it. The chuck has a rubberized adjustment ring, and the usual
3/8"-24 threaded mount. There was no difficulty removing
it from the drill (after I realized the retaining screw was Torx-20
and not hexagonal).

It's a 3/8" Jacobs HandTite model, and the Jacobs web site only
gives takeapart instructions for other (keyed and precision) models.

Apparently, the body (in addition to the 3/8-24 thread) has
a Torx-40 engagement region at the bottom of that thread.
Probably the body is held by a Torx wrench while the main
ring is removed.

The main base ring apparently cannot be pressed off (it doesn't
protrude enough), but it seems to be pressed in place on
a knurled body (not threaded).

Could the main ring unthread from the body? Maybe after heating
to soften a threadlock compound? That'd explain the Torx feature
of the body. Why does it look like the body is knurled, wouldn't
that complicate assembly?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Before that work. Please consider degrease it by spraying
with ether or carb cleaner, and then relube with a spray can
of your favorite lube.

If filling the chuck with ether does't help, you can light a
torch (NOT!).

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"whit3rd" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/27/2011 2:38 PM, whit3rd wrote:
[...]

In my experience, the correct procedure is to throw away the keyless
chuck and replace it with a keyed chuck.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" fired this volley in
:

In my experience, the correct procedure is to throw away the keyless
chuck and replace it with a keyed chuck.

Yeah... you'll end up with a lot of scabbed drill bit shanks using that
thing. Go to a ball bearing "super chuck", and be done fooling with it for
pretty much forever.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:39:46 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

[...]

It depends on the chuck..but given some of the utter crap Ive seen on
drills in the last couple years..Id say you are quite correct.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In my experience, the correct procedure is to throw away the keyless
chuck and replace it with a keyed chuck.

David

I agree as well.

Erik

How to remove a keyless chuck DanG Home Repair 23 February 1st 16 08:24 PM
How to remove keyless chuck Andrew VK3BFA[_2_] Metalworking 4 December 14th 09 07:46 PM
removing keyless chuck Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 10 May 9th 05 12:37 AM
Keyless chuck removal Al Woodworking 6 September 6th 04 08:11 PM
Keyless chuck D Moss Home Repair 6 December 29th 03 03:57 PM