Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default RC plane motor questions

I've been interested in small brushless motors for some time and it
seems like the ones made for RC use are plentiful and cheap. Bujt I'm
having a hard time getting my questions answered about these things.
My uses will not be in some type of RC toy, but "toys" that I want to
make for myself. I know I will need to get an ESC to drive the motor.
But what kind of signal does the ESC need? The same type of signal
that RC servos use? Do I need to get a programming card for the ESC?
And how is the rpm/volt detrermined? I'm thinking that I should get a
kit motor to learn about them but I also want to get some regular
motors to compare. It looks like Hobby King might be the best place to
buy the motors from but I don't know. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 16:18:39 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

I've been interested in small brushless motors for some time and it
seems like the ones made for RC use are plentiful and cheap. Bujt I'm
having a hard time getting my questions answered about these things.
My uses will not be in some type of RC toy, but "toys" that I want to
make for myself. I know I will need to get an ESC to drive the motor.
But what kind of signal does the ESC need? The same type of signal
that RC servos use?

A plain, normal ESC will use the same signal a servo uses. It connects
to the receiver just like a servo. There are also special ESCs that
are controlled by SPI or similar. These are used where very quick
response times are needed.

Do I need to get a programming card for the ESC?

It depends. Some higher-end ESCs allow you to tune their parameters,
but they come preconfigured to working defaults, so will work fine in
most applications. Some ESCs are programmed using the throttle stick
in connection with beeps emitted through the motor, some need a
programming card, while others are connected to a PC. Some controllers
cannot be reconfigured at all.

And how is the rpm/volt detrermined?

It is determined by a number of factors, such as magnet strength,
number of windings, number of poles, physical size, and more.

I'm thinking that I should get a
kit motor to learn about them but I also want to get some regular
motors to compare.

I've never built my own motor, so I can't help you there.

It looks like Hobby King might be the best place to
buy the motors from but I don't know.

I have not (yet) dealt with them, but I have heard from numerous happy
customers, so they seem to be a decent outfit.
--
RoRo
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 06/23/2011 10:10 AM, Robert Roland wrote:
[...]

That's pretty much what I would say. The only exception is that the
stuff Hobby King sells can have quality problems, both the kind that
causes infant mortality, and issues with long-term reliability and
robustness. If you really want it to last, particularly if you're
stressing the bearings in any way, Hobby King's products may not be the
best.

AXI, eFlight, Scorpion, Castle Creations, and Plettenberg are all better
(1st tier, or almost so) motor brands that I know. But they're more
spendy -- use the Hobby King stuff to get your feet wet, then go from there.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:42:27 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Rob, Winston, Cy and Tim,
I knew there would be someone here who would be familiar with these
things. I have two projects in mind. The first is a gyroscopic
stabiliser for a digital camera. I built a prototype with brass
flywheels and pager motors. It worked OK but the life of the pager
motors is low. And they were a little noisy. So I'm thinking that
maybe one of these new fangled three phase brushless motors used with
good bearings might work. I seem to remember downloading a circuit
built around a 555 timer that puts out the pulses used by servos. So
with a cheap ESC, LiPo battery, and brushless motor I might be able to
make a lightweight gyro stabiliser. The other project that I've been
working on is a spinning wheel with a brake on it. The idea is that
when the brake is slowly released the wheel will start to spin, with
less braking leading to faster spinning. So I need a motor that can
remain stalled without overheating. With a stalled brushed motor the
energy delivered is not shared equally by all the windings and so
maybe it will overheat. I don't know if the three phase brushless
motor drives keep energising windings in sequence when the motor is
stalled. This something I want to find out.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Eric- Hide quoted text -

How are you dynamically balancing your rotors? Have been looking for
a small dynamic balancer that could be built by an individual without
bankruptcy staring me in the face. Would be of interest for doing a
bunch of projects involving high-speed revolving parts. Think model
turbojets...

As far as stalled rotors, a friction clutch is the usual solution,
motor doesn't see a real current spike that way. Just have to replace
the clutch if you wear it out from stalling too frequently.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On 06/23/2011 12:48 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
wrote:
I've been interested in small brushless motors for some time and it
seems like the ones made for RC use are plentiful and cheap. Bujt I'm
having a hard time getting my questions answered about these things.
My uses will not be in some type of RC toy, but "toys" that I want to
make for myself. I know I will need to get an ESC to drive the motor.

I'm not sure what you're making, but the power to weight of those
brushless motors is quite impressive.

There's a catch though, if you're not using them to just run a fan, which
is all they're good for.

they lack position sensors, so you can't just spin them back and forth
like a regular motor unless you have some sort of really awesome motor
controller.

They seem to now have brushless RC car motors and controllers. I'm not
sure how those work though.

I believe the brushless car motors have hall sensors for commutation, the
same as an industrial servo brushless would.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

The rc car's "electronic speed control" (ESC) support both sensor and
sensor less brushless motors. You can program into the handheld transmitter
throttle and braking endpoints and curves, linier or otherwise. The speed
controlls can deliver lots of power. My Emaxx 1/10 scale rc truck will pull
300 amps acceleration and 180 amps on braking at 16.8 volts. With motors
pulling lots of power things can get hot in a hurry.
Spektrum transmitter's and receivers are what I prefer. The "2.4Ghz" units
eliminate interference and channel crystal changing when near other units.
They will automatically switch up to 80 channels/units in the same location.
You program failsafe throttle and other servo positions in case of signal
loss. Check your local rc racing club. They usually have a web site with
help and buy/sell forums

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Greetings Stan,
I'm trying to avoid slip ctutches. For a couple reasons. First, they
wear out, and second they tend to have higher breakaway friction than
running friction. I can buy special clutches that do not exhibit this
stick/slip problem but they are expensive. If anything the breakaway
friction should be lower than running friction. I'm hoping that I can
run a motor at a much lower current than it is rated for and so can
keep it stalled indefinitely. I didn't balance my rotors for the gyro.
They were machined carefully and all at once except for a facing cut
after being parted off. The parallelism was better than .0001" and
concentricity was basically perfect because all diameters were
machined at the same time.
Cheers,
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 23, 4:42*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
On 06/23/2011 10:10 AM, Robert Roland wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 16:18:39 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

I've been interested in small brushless motors for some time and it
seems like the ones made for RC use are plentiful and cheap. Bujt I'm

That's pretty much what I would say. *The only exception is that the
stuff Hobby King sells can have quality problems, both the kind that
causes infant mortality, and issues with long-term reliability and
robustness. *If you really want it to last, particularly if you're
stressing the bearings in any way, Hobby King's products may not be the
best.

AXI, eFlight, Scorpion, Castle Creations, and Plettenberg are all better
(1st tier, or almost so) motor brands that I know. *But they're more
spendy -- use the Hobby King stuff to get your feet wet, then go from there.
Tim Wescott

For serious applications:
http://www.maxonmotorusa.com/

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I've been interested in small brushless motors for some time and it
seems like the ones made for RC use are plentiful and cheap. Bujt I'm
having a hard time getting my questions answered about these things.
My uses will not be in some type of RC toy, but "toys" that I want to
make for myself. I know I will need to get an ESC to drive the motor.
But what kind of signal does the ESC need? The same type of signal
that RC servos use? Do I need to get a programming card for the ESC?
And how is the rpm/volt detrermined? I'm thinking that I should get a
kit motor to learn about them but I also want to get some regular
motors to compare. It looks like Hobby King might be the best place to
buy the motors from but I don't know. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks,
Eric

R/C sends pulses to the servos or speed controls, they get a pulse about
every 20mS or so. The pulse for neutral for a servo, or half speed for an
ESC is approximately 1.5mS. The pulse width range is from 1mS to 2mS
plus/minus a little fudging on the trim, etc. So, if you want to experiment
you can use something like 555 timer IC's or I would suggest something like
a Basic Stamp or Arduino. I prefer the Arduino because they are cheaper and
much more powerful.

I don't know exactly how the R/C brushless motors and speed controls work,
they may be something like sensorless vector ac drives. Anyway, I'm not
sure exactly but they probably work a lot like 3 phase motors with AC
variable speed drives.

I think some modern speed controls sense the pulse and automatically program
themselves to work properly, the pulse they receive on power up is the OFF
and then going the other way increases speed. For example, if they are
powered up receiving 1ms pulses, that is off and 2ms pulses would be full
throttle. Likewise if they are powered up receiving 2ms pulses then 1ms
pulses would be full throttle.

Hope this helps

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You might want to check out the gyroscopes used in R/C helicopters to
stabilize them, they are real gyroscopes except they use vibration to sense
rotation instead of spinning a flywheel. The vibrating crystal resists
rotation just like a flywheel or pendulum would, it's called the corollis
sp or similar (from memory) effect. These electronic gyros are used in
r/c helicopters and also things like the steady-shot in digital cameras. I
bought a couple of Murata gyroscopes several years ago but haven't done much
with them yet, future project though....

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Back in the late 1970s, when living in the US, I saw IIRC mil surplus
gyroscopes for stabilising binoculars on sale in some magazine, can't
remember which but they may still be around. At the time I was involved
in archery and using a 95 lb long bow and took the **** out of the
target archers and their pulleys and stabilisers and such and suggested
they fit some. It wasn't long after I saw someone doing just that. It
was about the same time I realised the mental side of any target sport
as shooting at a standard size archery target would result in a given
group then placing the likes of a bottle cap in the middle of the target
would result in a consistently and significantly smaller group, the
smaller target resulting in greater focus.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Instead of screwing around with 555 circuits, you really ought to
consider a microcontroller. Making servo pulses with an AVR is super-
simple, maybe ten lines of code to get it set up, and from there, you
just change a register value to pick a new speed. With one of the
AtTiny parts, you'd actueally have fewer components than you would
with a 555.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 23, 9:34*pm, CaveLamb wrote:
Since Roger is suggesting a roll-yer-own approach
I thought I'd offer an example of a software only servo driver.
- written for a 16 Mhz AT (way back last century)...

Back about 1985 I wrote a PC-AT assembly driver for an H bridge motor
controller to test open-loop stepper damping schemes for a printer
carriage drive. I don't have the code but IIRC it was only 10 - 20
lines, OUT instructions separated by fixed countdown loops to time the
pulses.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Why control motor speed with a brake when you can control it actively?
Get an ESC that has a helicopter mode, program it right, and it'll give
you a specific RPM at the motor for a specific pulse width at the input.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Note, too, that most ESC's won't just start up and go -- they need to
see the command at idle for a while, then they'll recognize a command
for a higher speed. This is a safety feature, to keep that great big
pair of steak knives you have mounted on the front of your plane from
starting to spin if you forgot to set the throttle on your transmitter
to idle before you plugged in the battery in the plane.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:03:01 -0700, Winston
wrote:
...uses a heat sink which only makes contact
with a select few of the transistors it is meant to cool:
http://home.c2i.net/w-479147/temp/sink.jpg
This is a grid of 3 x 5 = 15 transistors with only 7 survivors
after a hot run with low batteries.

The damage was a result of a malfunction caused by water intrusion. I
will add an update to that thread soon.
--
RoRo
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:14:30 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:
I don't know exactly how the R/C brushless motors and speed controls work,
they may be something like sensorless vector ac drives.

In a sensorless system, the controller measures induced voltage on the
non-driven phase of the motor to determine where in the commutation
cycle it is. For startup, where the speed is zero and therefore no
induced voltage is present, a special startup mode is needed. There
are several different techniques for starting up reliably. The
simplest method is to just commutate blindly at low speed for a while
and see if any voltage appears. This technique will result in limited
startup torque, and may even cause the motor to turn backwards a few
degrees just as it starts.

Anyway, I'm not
sure exactly but they probably work a lot like 3 phase motors with AC
variable speed drives.

Very similar, but they don't use a sine shaped drive. At partial
power, the current is modulated, but the frequency and duty cycle
remains constant through the whole cycle. At full power, the phase
current is either full on or full off.

I think some modern speed controls sense the pulse and automatically program
themselves to work properly, the pulse they receive on power up is the OFF
and then going the other way increases speed. For example, if they are
powered up receiving 1ms pulses, that is off and 2ms pulses would be full
throttle. Likewise if they are powered up receiving 2ms pulses then 1ms
pulses would be full throttle.

I have not seen a controller like that. In fact, I think it would be
dangerous. The controllers I have seen, will emit beeping noises and
refuse to start the motor at all until the operator has lowered the
throttle to full stop first. Some controllers enter the configuration
mode if they are switched on with the throttle at max.
--
RoRo

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

john B. wrote:

Well, anyway, presented here just to dig the C-hags...

A real programmer would use binary :-)

Not since John Von Neumann met the ENIAC...

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 24, 7:49*am, john B. wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 20:34:23 -0500, CaveLamb
A real programmer would use binary :-)

Then I was a "real" programmer until I got tired of flipping switches
and wired in an octal keypad. You would have posted in Morse from your
home-built ham station.

..--- ... .--
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:27:22 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

The purpose of my gyros is to do the actual stabilising. The gyros
used in helicopters are sensors. In my Sony camera is some type of
physical lens positioning system that uses some type of motion sensor
for positioning info. However, it is not enough for more violent
shaking. I have a relative who loves to take pictures but has hands
that now shake so much that some type of stabiliser might really help.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I know how to control a servo with a microcontoller. The 555 solution
is, I believe, cheaper.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

maybe, but not by more than a buck or so.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the starting advive Tim. As for controlling speed, it's not
the brake that's controlling the speed. The motor will need to spin at
some determined speed but the driven wheel will sometimes be subjected
braking forces and when these forces diminish the wheel must resume
the determined speed smoothly.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I bought a Basic Stamp kit from Parallax and learned how to control
servos with a microcontroller. I'm not sure how use a pot to vary the
pulse output rate from the stamp. But I can do this easily with a 555.
If I needed hundreds of motor drivers I wonder what would be the best
way to go. If I just wanted to control no load speed and direction
without any type of feedback from the motor could a microcontroller do
that by using power transistors? Easily and cheaply? Since I haven't
even ordered a motor and ESC yet these questions may be premature.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that's right, I was getting confused between my car speed controls and
heli speed controls. The car reversible speed control automatically sets
the zero speed on power up, this is because some transmitters have 50/50
forward reverse, some have 70/30 or somewhere around there. The heli speed
controls start flashing and disable if they are above zero throttle. I
haven't measured the pulse width connected to a speed control so I don't
know if zero speed is 1ms or 2ms pulse. One of my heli speed controls has a
governor, that might be nice for gyroscopes.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 07:43:13 -0500, CaveLamb
wrote:

john B. wrote:

Well, anyway, presented here just to dig the C-hags...

A real programmer would use binary :-)

Not since John Von Neumann met the ENIAC...

I actually met a bloke that had worked on computers where to boot you
had to enter a small "read that and do something about it" routine on
the front panel.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you're getting by with pagers motors, I think these RC type motors are
probalby way too big for what you need. astroflight.com does have some
smaller motors these days. maxcim.com has some of the largest ones.

for precision tiny motors, check out

http://www.portescap.com/ You can't even hear some of those motors when
they're running.

pancake type motors can be used AS flywheels too- try to get a motor from
a DLT tape drive. they're really nice.

built around a 555 timer that puts out the pulses used by servos. So
with a cheap ESC, LiPo battery, and brushless motor I might be able to
make a lightweight gyro stabiliser. The other project that I've been
working on is a spinning wheel with a brake on it. The idea is that
when the brake is slowly released the wheel will start to spin, with
less braking leading to faster spinning. So I need a motor that can
remain stalled without overheating. With a stalled brushed motor the
energy delivered is not shared equally by all the windings and so
maybe it will overheat. I don't know if the three phase brushless
motor drives keep energising windings in sequence when the motor is
stalled. This something I want to find out.
Eric

Maybe you can make some sort of magnetic coupling as used in pumps.

In brushless motor fans, they have what's called "locked rotor
protection". If the motor stalls, the driver circuit pretty much gives up
and doesn't output full power, waits a second or two and tries to start
the fan again to see if the fault clears. They usually do this forever
without burning out.

Some induction motors are "impedance protected" and won't burn out if
stalled as their impedance is high enough that they can't draw enough
power to burst into flames in the first place.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 24, 9:46*pm, john B. wrote:
I actually met a bloke that had worked on computers where to boot you
had to enter a small "read that and do something about it" routine on
the front panel.

I'm a bloke who designed and built one. The manually entered bootstrap
loader was a 32 byte loop that read in a Teletype tape, downwards so
the final byte overwrote a jump destination to start the monitor
program, which was a very simple operating system that could load more
code from paper or magnetic tape.

IIRC the bootstrap loader began with a conditional jump to the monitor
that wasn't true at cold start. The paper tape boot program changed it
to JMP to skip the bootstrap loader at subsequent resets.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jun 24, 9:46 pm, john wrote:
I actually met a bloke that had worked on computers where to boot you
had to enter a small "read that and do something about it" routine on
the front panel.

I'm a bloke who designed and built one. The manually entered bootstrap
loader was a 32 byte loop that read in a Teletype tape, downwards so
the final byte overwrote a jump destination to start the monitor
program, which was a very simple operating system that could load more
code from paper or magnetic tape.

IIRC the bootstrap loader began with a conditional jump to the monitor
that wasn't true at cold start. The paper tape boot program changed it
to JMP to skip the bootstrap loader at subsequent resets.

jsw

The Okuma OSP-2000 cnc control loaded with boot strap loader loop. You
first have to manually set in about 21 bytes of code using switches to
set up the computer to run the bootstrap from a short punch tape. Once
you load the bootstrap the actual executive system tapes can be loaded.
These machines used two 8K bubble memory boards. The newer options
went with a cmos memory.

John