Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rollerblades ...

Here's the deal - a friend of mine is a below-the-knee amputee , and he
wants to rollerblade . He's done some research and others have done this
before . Next week I'll be receiving a prosthetic ankle and a rollerblade
.... and my job is to fabricate a plate to mate the 'blade truck to the ankle
..
I've got the engineering pretty much done on how it'll be made , but I
have a question . How stiff should the plate be ? There's a little flex in
the sole of the skate , but how much of that flex is actually transmitted to
the truck and wheels ? I'm leaning towards a fairly thin plate with ribs
below for rigidity with minimum weight . This will be cast from (probably)
A356 aluminum or similar casting grade alloy .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.
I've got the engineering pretty much done on how it'll be made , but I
have a question . How stiff should the plate be ?

Very. the stress on a normal ankle is tremendous.
I can't flex my ankle in any direction because of the stiffness of the boot
(pretty hard molded plastic).

There's a little flex in
the sole of the skate , but how much of that flex is actually transmitted to
the truck and wheels ?

I'm thinking it's some but not much. That's what you steer with.
Leaning one way or the other causes the trucks to turn (just a little bit!)

I'm leaning towards a fairly thin plate with ribs
below for rigidity with minimum weight . This will be cast from (probably)
A356 aluminum or similar casting grade alloy .

Is there some reason not to use a regular boot type arrangement on an artificial
foot?

Can't help much there. One would think the loads are mostly compressive,
but there is a substantial side load, and a bending load on the toe brake .

Would sure like to see it when it's done.

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 20:47:18 -0500, "Snag" wrote:

Here's the deal - a friend of mine is a below-the-knee amputee , and he
wants to rollerblade . He's done some research and others have done this
before . Next week I'll be receiving a prosthetic ankle and a rollerblade
... and my job is to fabricate a plate to mate the 'blade truck to the ankle
.
I've got the engineering pretty much done on how it'll be made , but I
have a question . How stiff should the plate be ? There's a little flex in
the sole of the skate , but how much of that flex is actually transmitted to
the truck and wheels ? I'm leaning towards a fairly thin plate with ribs
below for rigidity with minimum weight . This will be cast from (probably)
A356 aluminum or similar casting grade alloy .

Need some roller blades..I have extras. Quite a number of them actually.

Most of the blades use the truck blade to keep the wheels from flexing
out of a straight line. ....IE..they are kept in a linear line. There
is supposed to be NO flex in the blade

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb wrote:
Snag wrote:
[...]

The setup this guy wants is the ankle bolted to a plate with the truck
bolted under it . Who am i to second-guess him ?
My reply-to is good , send me a note so I have your email and I'll send
pics of what I'm trying to "match" and some shots of what I build for him .
--
Snag
Learning keeps